You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
driedjello

Are premium crates getting worse?

22 comments in this topic

[TAFY3]
Members
331 posts
7,114 battles

I have always enjoyed buying crates and feel like they delivered value, enough that I didn't miss the money I spent but I just bought a bunch of the new hockey crates and I think I would have gotten better value by lighting my money on fire to warm my hands. 

Questions to the group:  Does anybody else feel the same way?  Do you think this marks a trend?  I buy $100s of dollars worth of x-mas and Halloween crates each year but this last bunch left a bad taste.  I'm a wallet whale but will close down shop on the spending if wargaming is getting stingy.  I didn't even get a tech tree ship mission.  It was an absolutely worthless purchase. 

• Cool 2

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,368 battles

Sorry you got stroked I bought the $15 ones and got a duca and Leningrad mission even though I own both already.

Random Chance........

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
6 minutes ago, driedjello said:

I have always enjoyed buying crates and feel like they delivered value, enough that I didn't miss the money I spent but I just bought a bunch of the new hockey crates and I think I would have gotten better value by lighting my money on fire to warm my hands. 

Questions to the group:  Does anybody else feel the same way?  Do you think this marks a trend?  I buy $100s of dollars worth of x-mas and Halloween crates each year but this last bunch left a bad taste.  I'm a wallet whale but will close down shop on the spending if wargaming is getting stingy.  I didn't even get a tech tree ship mission.  It was an absolutely worthless purchase. 

The hockey crates have almost no value to me because the ships they can give give missions and not dubloons and I have all of them. The commander is nice but not worth the price and the crates are also extremely overpriced for their contents even if you don't have the ships already.

EDIT: Last year Halloween crates were second only to Santa crates but WG has grown increasingly stingy with their stuff so we'll see if they're worth a crapthis year.

Edited by w4spl3g
  • Cool 2

[FOG]
Members
267 posts
4,538 battles

Are they even going to have Halloween Crates this year or will we only have the Hockey Crates? (Thanks)

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
249 posts
3,471 battles

we get halloween crates for the rn missions and they are crap kinda loosing interestn in the whole rn thing( i did get t5,6,8 rn dd thou)

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,180 battles

Halloween crates give diminishing returns due to the limited amount of unique items in them.  If they switched from already-owned-camos from doubloons to credits, even more so.  I have all of the precious years’ skins and won’t even bother with this year’s. :(

[WDS]
Members
342 posts
6,871 battles

I have always got the best stuff in the Christmas crates !!! I hope they don't get chintzy this year .

• Cool 2

[EREKT]
Members
752 posts
5,758 battles

you know what, i'm betting they had to pay that hockey player a large percentage for using his likeness, that's probably why these crates have less value...  The value is draining into dude's pocket.

funny thing is though, it's all digital fiat produce... they don't have raw material overhead, material scarcity etc... just taxes and overhead probably. and i bet any money they get a huge tax discount for hiring a ton of people. that's probably why a zillion people work for wargaming in russia... which drives up the cost for us.

Edited by HorrorRoach
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

IMHO crates really went south with the introduction of the Aigle crates. They have never recovered, all have been simply crap. Wargaming has a way of introducing content that makes it very easy for me not to spend money. I thank them for that. 

• Cool 3

[WOLFB]
Members
1,648 posts
8,016 battles

Not only premium crate.

SC crate used to be good. I remember getting 10 million credit, 500 flags ... but now it has been cut down to something like 1-5 million credit and 250 flags.  Hell sometime you get 25 of these "special flags". Like only 25 ? that's garbage. Getting 800 coal for me sounds more like a SC than 25 special signal.

Free stuff are nice, I won't deny that but one must say WG clearly nerfed crates rewards. I don't see a lot of people recommending buying premium crate, except for Chrismast crate because of her chance to get one of the few broken premium WG removed. 

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

Yeah Super Containers used to be fun, heck I used to look forward to crates in general. Now I don't even pay the contents any mind. I only farm them for oil, the rest of the stuff is irrelevant. I think I still have the 600 premium consumables that were given out in the very first SC that were a gift when they were introduced. One of these days will start using them. 

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
3 hours ago, driedjello said:

I’m a wallet warrior also and the crates for me always give dragon flags and all things to help grinding, have not bought any hockey crates though ... so ... same o same o

[USFF]
Members
68 posts
4,786 battles

Yeah, I bought 5 crates and got the Abruzzi and the North Carolina missions. Sorry you got fleeced. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
379 posts
3,318 battles

I bought 6 and got the North Carolina mission.  Not a premium but it sure saved me from the long haul that I was experiencing in the Colorado.  I would have liked to have gotten an Atlanta or a Leningrad.  5000 base xp is an easy get as well.  Not like my "play the Boise" and "get the Nueve" mission.  300,000 xp for that one.  I'm still grinding it.  Good thing the Boise is a blast to play. :)

The crates seem to have similar value.  Tough to say.  Empirical evidence is hard to quantify.

Halloween crates are pretty meh but I haven't purchased a premium one yet.  Santa crates, now that's value!  I hope they don't nerf them this year.  Got Alabama, Kutuzov, Loyang, Anshan, Arizona, and others last year.  I am almost out of Frosty Fir Tree camos too after having 400 of them!  Christmas can't get here soon enough!

CS

[BUOY]
Members
137 posts
7,654 battles

The most disappointing aspect of the newer crates, imo, is that the bulk discount is going down fast, last year you got -33% for the $100 package and with the Great 8 it is now literally less than half of that. 

I also agree the French crates are where things turned around wrt the value being less and less. It kinda upticked with the RN crates allowing you to outright buy the Warspite / Gallant (or get doubloons for them), but I have all the ships the G8 crates can give except Abruzzi (not interested) and the fact they are missions rather than doubloons for the premium ships and so expensive besides isn't tempting me at all.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,344 posts
10,134 battles

Yes, the trend in their premium crates is that the price is going up, the # of crates we get for that higher bundle price is going WAY down, and the content is becoming worse/less. Last 3 crates (Freedom, RN, #8) have been pretty sad. I didn't buy any of the Freedom because just too darn expensive. I did buy some of the RN for the flags and sovereigns but it really was a break even thing. The #8 crates might just be the most over priced of any that have come out at least if you are someone who already had all the ships offered because they decided not to give doubloons (credits instead - and pretty poor credit value to boot) if you already had the premiums.

I didn't buy any #8 crates with personal money but got some with gift money for that express purpose. Got some flags and camo, the 15pt #8 mission, and 2 ship missions (both premiums I had so a few credits - yeah). Content was 'ok" for what was spent on the #8 but only because I got so much and frankly I consider it break even despite what I got. For those who get no missions from the #8 crates they are a massive rip off.

Like some others I am a whale in the game and have always spent freely. I have been reigning that spending in as of late because the prices are just too high for what you are getting. I don't fault WG for trying to maximize revenue but I seriously hope at some point they realize they have gone too far with jacking prices while reducing content. I would hope players would stop buying stuff until WG again starts offering value for what we get so BOTH sides profit so to speak.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles

When I looked into the shop and saw the prices for the #8 crates I thought "Surely that has to be a typo."  Nope.  And after the paltry return I got on Santa crates last year, it's really turned me off to buying any loot crates.  I'll use the ones I get in game, but given how miserly WG has gotten with items of interest in the crates, I just don't see the value in spending money on them.  

And as others have said, even the 'Super Containers' don't seem like they're very 'super'.  Hey look, more ramming flags.....

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,931 battles
25 minutes ago, MasterofGladness said:

So you gambled and lost and you're mad at the house...

Cool story whiny bro

The House always wins baby.

[WYRN]
Beta Testers
104 posts
8,585 battles

it will be interesting if Europe busts these gaming companies for gambling.

[DEP]
Members
124 posts
13,025 battles

Yep. They have been getting progressively worse for a long time. Mission prizes as well. Seems to be way more work for far less now and getting worse. Yet costs for everything are up with the smoke and mirrors bundled garbage. Ship calibre is nose diving as well.  I knew things were going to start turning to crap when they didn't sell the 360 day premium for 50% off last year... maybe we need a fresh batch of devs and decision makers that know how to balance game play and income generation...