You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

No Idea Just How Historically Accurate the Movie Was

19 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts

However I loved this movie and hoped sharing it here,  That it might find a new and well deserved audience

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[NGA-B]
Members
1,191 posts
7,592 battles

It's a Miyazaki movie so there's no question it's beautiful. Though I will contest to my dying day that How to Train Your Dragon is the most beautiful animated movie and makes Frozen look like a student film.

• Funny 1

Beta Testers
138 posts

It historical to a point. Jiro Horikoshi did get marry. In the movie i did think his wife did die in the end of TB (but in real life his wife didn't have TB and that.)  Jiro had kids but none of them ever became aeronautical engineers.  The younger sister part is not true she is a fictional character. His friend Kiro Honjo is also true he design the G3M Nell (type 96 land base attack aircraft) and the G4M Betty ( Navy type 1 attack bomber).   It is a very good movie and it also the last movie Hayao Miyazaki made before he retired.  I also think this movie expresses Hayao pacifist stance.  

I suggest you pick up this book if possible 

https://www.amazon.ca/Eagles-Mitsubishi-Story-Zero-Fighter/dp/0295971681

• Cool 2

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
1 minute ago, JediMasterDraco said:

It's a Miyazaki movie so there's no question it's beautiful. Though I will contest to my dying day that How to Train Your Dragon is the most beautiful animated movie and makes Frozen look like a student film.

I  agree with you on How to Train Your Dragon the sequel as usual was OK just not as good as the 1st,   I'm hoping for better out of  How to Train Your Dragon 3  next year

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles

The duplication of the Kanto Quake was seriously ‘daaaaannngg...’

Of course I knew about it, but didn’t realize how much damage apparently occurred after the quake itself, due to the fires.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,191 posts
7,592 battles
3 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

I  agree with you on How to Train Your Dragon the sequel as usual was OK just not as good as the 1st,   I'm hoping for better out of  How to Train Your Dragon 3  next year

You and me both. I think the second would've been better if they had stuck with the original idea of having Valka being the main villain.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
24 minutes ago, HMS_Formidable said:

Same league as U571?

I don't believe that was the topic we were discussing a movie about the Primary Designer of the  Japanese Zero

Edited by shadowsrmine

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,526 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

I don't believe that was the topic we were discussing a movie about the designer of the Primary Japanese Zero

topic title: No Idea Just How Historically Accurate the Movie Was

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
1 minute ago, HMS_Formidable said:

topic title: No Idea Just How Historically Accurate the Movie Was

That was Not About Subs  it was about Planes

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
6 hours ago, Mheetu said:

It historical to a point. Jiro Horikoshi did get marry. In the movie i did think his wife did die in the end of TB (but in real life his wife didn't have TB and that.)  Jiro had kids but none of them ever became aeronautical engineers.  The younger sister part is not true she is a fictional character. His friend Kiro Honjo is also true he design the G3M Nell (type 96 land base attack aircraft) and the G4M Betty ( Navy type 1 attack bomber).   It is a very good movie and it also the last movie Hayao Miyazaki made before he retired.  I also think this movie expresses Hayao pacifist stance.  

I suggest you pick up this book if possible 

https://www.amazon.ca/Eagles-Mitsubishi-Story-Zero-Fighter/dp/0295971681

:Smile_great:

5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The duplication of the Kanto Quake was seriously ‘daaaaannngg...’

Of course I knew about it, but didn’t realize how much damage apparently occurred after the quake itself, due to the fires.

:Smile_great:Tho these posters did say it is fairly accurate

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
44 minutes ago, HMS_Formidable said:

Same league as U571?

As for  this sub movie didn't watch it nor do I have an interest in doing so only watched the movie(and I did that before I ever stared playing World of Warships) under discussion because it was by an artist I  already liked and admired  PS I posted about this movie because the research and development of the Zero had already been brought up in a previous thread

Edited by shadowsrmine

[HMCS]
[HMCS]
Beta Testers
196 posts
4,572 battles
8 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

However I loved this movie and hoped sharing it here,  That it might find a new and well deserved audience

When I saw the title. I was really hoping it wasn't that abomination that is the Nic Cage Indianapolis movie

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
9 minutes ago, Platnumsniper said:

When I saw the title. I was really hoping it wasn't that abomination that is the Nic Cage Indianapolis movie

Have you seen early 2000's Pearl Harbor? :Smile_popcorn:

[HMCS]
[HMCS]
Beta Testers
196 posts
4,572 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Have you seen early 2000's Pearl Harbor? :Smile_popcorn:

At least they didn't replace a Portland Class CA with a NC class BB.... They actually bothered to have historically accurate Aircraft, ships (minus the Aegis Cruisers in some of the attack scenes and the USN CVN fleet in long shot of the IJN attack fleet), and events in the 2000 pearl harbour. The trash plot and love story was just way too much. But I prefer the telling of Pearl Harbour from The Final Countdown. Tomcats Vs Zeros....

[ICOP]
Members
775 posts
3,079 battles
4 hours ago, Platnumsniper said:

At least they didn't replace a Portland Class CA with a NC class BB.... They actually bothered to have historically accurate Aircraft, ships (minus the Aegis Cruisers in some of the attack scenes and the USN CVN fleet in long shot of the IJN attack fleet), and events in the 2000 pearl harbour. The trash plot and love story was just way too much. But I prefer the telling of Pearl Harbour from The Final Countdown. Tomcats Vs Zeros....

Highly underrated movie.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
4 hours ago, Platnumsniper said:

I loved Final Countdown!  Crazy idea for a movie but it was very memorable.  Also, old school 1980s USN high-vis aircraft paint schemes and the Jolly Rogers flying Tomcats :Smile_glasses:

F-14A_Tomcats_of_VF-84_during_The_Final_Countdown_filming_1979.jpg

Pearl Harbor's sequence of events and numerous ridiculousness (fighter pilots being instantly chosen to be the pilots for the Doolittle Raid flying B-25's, etc).  The funny part is the movie is essentially done in the same way as mid-late 1990s American summer-blockbuster action movies and just fell on its face despite the obvious money that went into it.  The music, the slow-mo posing... Dear lord...  How a Sci-Fi movie Final Countdown of the USS Nimitz time warping to just before Pearl Harbor is a better retelling of the attack than 2001's Pearl Harbor just makes my day :Smile_veryhappy: