You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AnimaL21

That sinking feeling when you see the teams...

25 comments in this topic

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles

So I load up a random in Indianapolis and  then i get to see what I'm up against:

Alsace

Alsace

Musashi

Musashi

Iowa

:Smile_amazed:

I mean, it wasn't the old tears of the cruiser map...  so thats.... something.    

I'm not exactly terrible in cruisers, but not awesome either.  Really though, what can you even do in this situation besides pick an island grave and try to last 8 min?   Spot only?  Take potshots whilst running?   Set autopilot and head to port? 

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,224 battles

Find islands to hide behind whenever possible, or kite from max range while spamming HE.  Basically you assume you will be sunk, but try to find ways to influence the game and/or do as much damage as possible before that happens.

• Cool 1

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
Just now, DreadRaybo said:

Find islands to hide behind whenever possible, or kite from max range while spamming HE.  Basically you assume you will be sunk, but try to find ways to influence the game and/or do as much damage as possible before that happens.

This is pretty much what I'd do too, except I'd make the "mistake" of getting too close to something big at some point.

[H_]
Members
217 posts
6,982 battles

22 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

So I load up a random in Indianapolis and  then i get to see what I'm up against:

Alsace

Alsace

Musashi

Musashi

Iowa

I know that feeling, my suggestion is to never stop moving, try very hard not to present a broadside if you can!  Yeah I know, easier said then done and try to use the islands as much as you can.  Spam HE and the Indy is pretty good at that and be cowardly for the most part. 

The other suggestion is don't get separated from the larger group on your team, that way you may luck out and they will decide others are more of a priority to hammer.

I'm like you,  not terrible at least by my standards and I'm not awesome either.. 

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
3 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

The problem with that:  (and thats what I did do btw) the second I fired and was spotted, the HUD lit up like a christmas tree.  You could hear the distant "look, a T7!!" declarations.  I first got targeted by 6 or 7, then seconds later my incoming fire alert went off multiple times.  lol.    40 AP shells came in, only 1 hit , but like that nearly half my life vaporized because I dared shoot at a DD on the other side of the map.    This isn't really a thread complaining about MM, i actually think its kinda funny.  Just trying to see if there's any success possibility to any of this in Indy.  In the end i think i did 6000 some odd damage the entire round, ran hard and stayed out of sight mostly.   Shattered and deflected a lot of shells that I felt should've at least done their customary ~500 damage.  

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
2 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

try very hard not to present a broadside if you can

Actually, what I learned a while ago in atlanta:  Give broadside to BBs whenever you can because nearly everything will overpen.  Never give them a bow or stern or angle.   I assume Indy has a slightly better chance of getting overpens broadside than misses/deflections bow on doesn't it?   Feels like bow on in american cruisers is a death sentence vs BB anyway.  

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
2 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Actually, what I learned a while ago in atlanta:  Give broadside to BBs whenever you can because nearly everything will overpen.  Never give them a bow or stern or angle.   I assume Indy has a slightly better chance of getting overpens broadside than misses/deflections bow on doesn't it?   Feels like bow on in american cruisers is a death sentence vs BB anyway.  

It seems a lot easier for them to hit your citadel when you're broadside.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
37 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Alsace

Alsace

Musashi

Musashi

Iowa

I'm not exactly terrible in cruisers, but not awesome either.  Really though, what can you even do in this situation besides pick an island grave and try to last 8 min?   Spot only?  Take potshots whilst running?   Set autopilot and head to port? 

I mean ... Is there such a thing as favorable MM for Indianapolis?

[O_O]
Members
675 posts
6,058 battles
4 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

I mean ... Is there such a thing as favorable MM for Indianapolis?

since when is any thing in this game favorable ...except for:Smile_sceptic: the elitist Super-mario-Uni ? :Smile_facepalm:

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
7 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

Naturally it would seem so.  But in atlanta, it almost always overpens unless they happen to drop it in the water first.   At least that is the experience i drew from for guidance here. .

In this case, I took the one shot seemingly harmlessly angled on the stern.  Still Cit'd me.  No doubt vs five T9 BBs there is not much i can do here.  Figured worthy of bringing up anyway to get ideas. 

Edited by AnimaL21

Members
54 posts
10,318 battles

Might not have had one that bad, but close. Hide for a while then get close to the BB when they move up and hope I'm just that I'm not worthy of a salvo when they are going head to head with something more threatening. I wish that some of the 7/8 CA got a 1 time mini heal, to help out when you lose 50-75% health in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Members
132 posts
6,177 battles

Actually Indy isn't too bad compared to other USN cruisers because she has pretty good range.  Use what island cover you can, kite away and spam HE at BBs, punish broadside DDs when you get a chance.  I've done pretty well in Helena in Tier IX matches and she has 2.5km shorter gun range than Indy.

Just to be clear, when I say "use what island cover you can" I don't necessarily mean park behind an island and lob shells over it like a lot of people do. Yes, this is a good tactic if you find a really good position but I mean that you should use islands to break line of sight and stay undetected instead of simply parking behind one.

My best advice?  Play your ship as best as you can, don't worry about the map, matchmaking, the other players.  Once I started doing this I started playing better.

Members
895 posts
7,739 battles

The Indy is sooo bad when bottom tier with tier 9s. Watched a Kitakaze do circles around me pew pewing non stop. My 14 sec reload guns and weak armor scheme were useless against it. 

The Indy requires a particular MM to really do much. 

[SIM]
Members
2,435 posts
4,068 battles
58 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

It isn’t. Big guns that overmatch your bow armor and come in from the front will almost always register citadel hits, while shots into the side have a higher chance of scoring an overpenetration. Basically pick your poison: show broadside and eat more hits, where not all of them will citadel, or show bow and eat fewer hits, where all of them will citadel you or knock out a turret. 

[PQUOD]
Members
192 posts
5,999 battles
1 hour ago, AnimaL21 said:

Alsace

Alsace

Musashi

Musashi

Iowa

What was on your team? BB's of equal power? In addition to island crawling. Sometimes you can get behind your capital ships and get some cheap shots and sucker punches in. If they are too busy slugging it out with your BB team mates. You could act like proxy secondaries from behind them. Keeping them set on fire.

(That's presuming they are brawling within your range. If not, your back to island crawling and the benevolence of your DD's keeping you covered in smoke. It's a team effort)

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Members
988 posts
5,705 battles

Alsace, Alsace, Musashi, Musashi, Iowa

I'm reminded of the old joke:

Man goes to doctor. 

MAN: "It hurts when I do this...(demonstrates his problem)"

DOCTOR: "Don't do that!"

But addressing your particular problem:

So I load up a random in Indianapolis

Don't do that.

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,893 battles

Alsace

Alsace

Musashi

Musashi

Iowa

Hmm, I understand how frustrating that looks, but actually it’s an opportunity. 

I would play it like a French cruiser. Move towards the edge of the map, on the side where my team has the largest group. I would wait for enemy battleships on that side to fire at my team, then use HE to set fires at near max range - probably a quick ripple fire to try and set 2 fires on bow and superstructure, and no more than 2 as they prolly have fire prevention. If you light a fire on one battleship, move to the next.

Pay close attention to when they use DCP and prioritise lighting a new fire on that ship as fast as you can.

Pay even closer attention to whether they are shooting at you, always be kiting and dodging so you look like a hard to hit target. Do NOT go broadside. If they start shooting at you, it’s good cos that less guns hitting your team - just go dark. Don’t be afraid to stop firing. 

If you survive to late battle, and most heavy enemy ships are gone, then you can move up and use your radar to spot wounded DDs and end them, and/or cap. You may even run into a low hp cruiser broadside that you can just delete with your super heavy AP. Delicious.  

But really, your job is to support - not lead - your team. You help by taxing top capital ships DCP. You help by keeping them on fire. You help by making the enemy misplay to go hide behind an island to heal - ideally showing more broadside for your team to exploit or otherwise just taking heavy guns out of the fight to keep your team alive. You help by the enemy heavy guns shooting at you (and dodging them) instead of hitting your team. Hell, even bad enemy DDs might not go that side to attack your team cos omg radar cruiser. 

Finally, do these things and whether your team wins won’t be up to you. But if they lose, it really won’t be because you didn’t do your job. As a bottom tier ship, no one really expects you to carry the team. But the XP generated from damaging ships 2 tiers higher will be excellent. 

Good luck!

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Hmm, I understand how frustrating that looks, but actually it’s an opportunity. 

I'll try to remember all that while dodging T9 AP shells, lol.  

4 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

If you survive to late battle, and most heavy enemy ships are gone, then you can move up and use your radar to spot wounded DDs and end them, and/or cap. You may even run into a low hp cruiser broadside that you can just delete with your super heavy AP. Delicious.  

Surviving to late game was certainly in my game plan, but by the time it had all unfolded, my team mostly disintegrated and i was just on the run.   I also dont (one of few) run a radar indy so that proposition does not have application in my context.  

30 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

What was on your team? BB's of equal power? 

That's debatab----- 

I mean, of course...  all T9s are equal power right? 

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,893 battles
1 minute ago, AnimaL21 said:

I'll try to remember all that while dodging T9 AP shells, lol.  

Surviving to late game was certainly in my game plan, but by the time it had all unfolded, my team mostly disintegrated and i was just on the run.   I also dont (one of few) run a radar indy so that proposition does not have application in my context.  

That's debatab----- 

I mean, of course...  all T9s are equal power right? 

What??!? No radar on an Indy???!!!??!?!

also, you quoted the least important parts of my post :-p

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

What??!? No radar on an Indy???!!!??!?!

also, you quoted the least important parts of my post :-p

No radar, correct.  I have my reasons.  

The first reply was kindof a reply-all.  All valid points you make.  I really will try to consider them when faced with this type of mountain again. 

• Cool 1