You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Eugenie_101

Poll - for breast cancer awareness month, should we bring back the Kitakami?

Bring back a limited edition Kitakami?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back a Kitakami with limited edition pink camouflage?

• yes
    • umm
    • Bacon
    • no, because my judgment is clouded by experience with, or knowledge of, the Kitakami

137 comments in this topic

[DANKY]
Members
429 posts
1,554 battles

October is breast cancer awareness month!  To help raise awareness I think that Wargaming should bring back the pinkest ship that ever sailed.  For those newer folks, Kitakami was a modified cruiser with 5 x 4-torpedo launchers - per side! - for a glorious total of forty torpedoes.  Plus it had some primary guns that got as many kills as a Russian cruiser's torps. 

kitakamipic.thumb.jpg.a9135c07b67ec863abef46d21e28d4c4.jpg

Of course that kind of torpedo broadside in a T8 premium sometimes made the ship rather dangerous to allies and enemies alike, so Wargaming pulled the ship until they could find a way to improve its friend-to-enemy kill ratio.  Naturally we need to make sure that it doesn't land in just anyone's hands.  I'm open to ideas, but I thought I'd toss out the idea of a challenge campaign where you earn points for kills with torps that pass near enough to allies to count as potential damage. 

kitikami.thumb.jpg.df439d76e01fa0ad59039bb075a0fb72.jpg

Above: a Kitakami judiciously launches only half its torpedoes. 

As an added bonus, this could double as another Halloween event. 

Edited by Eugenie_101
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,937 posts
6,440 battles

when people are saying the ship had more Teamkills than enemy ship kills, yeah, its best it stays out of the game

Edited by tcbaker777

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,867 battles

Wouldn't be a problem if they just turned off team damage. It's a stupid and worthless mechanic that brings nothing positive to the game anyway. Its existence causes only strife and frustration for all who interact with it, on both sides.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 14
  • Angry 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,727 battles

I don't see a problem, at least TK-wise, to bring her back. The current TK penalty system will banish bad TKer in her in one or two games.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
933 posts
6,293 battles

I'd buy it, and I have no interest in jap cruisers. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,891 battles

I dont buy any premium ships, unless they come from santa crates, and I would buy this.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,767 posts
5,805 battles

Im in! Name the price, they are a blast to drive.

They could have tried harder to balance it IMO, like only 2 reloads per launcher or something along those lines. It would be a constant threat but not able to put up walls of torps every 2 minutes.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,746 posts
9,446 battles
39 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Wouldn't be a problem if they just turned off team damage. It's a stupid and worthless mechanic that brings nothing positive to the game anyway. Its existence causes only strife and frustration for all who interact with it, on both sides.

Yes it does benefit the game. 

It rewards good positioning so that enemy torpedo carrying ships cannot fire at you without potentially hitting a teammate.

I’ve done this numerous times in a brawl fight. Sometimes with hilarious results when the enemy decides to take the chance and launch anyway. 

It also requires you to think ahead so you can be in a position where you won’t hit teammates. 

• Cool 4

[SPTR]
Members
821 posts
2,199 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Yes it does benefit the game. 

It rewards good positioning so that enemy torpedo carrying ships cannot fire at you without potentially hitting a teammate.

I’ve done this numerous times in a brawl fight. Sometimes with hilarious results when the enemy decides to take the chance and launch anyway. 

It also requires you to think ahead so you can be in a position where you won’t hit teammates. 

true it also kind of gives the game a little bit of realism

IRL you have to watch where you're firing because there is such thing as friendly fire

thats what the team damage is: friendly fire

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,283 battles
51 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

October is breast cancer awareness month!  To help raise awareness I think that Wargaming should bring back the pinkest ship that ever sailed.  For those newer folks, Kitakami was a modified cruiser with 5 x 4-torpedo launchers - per side! - for a glorious total of forty torpedoes.  Plus it had some primary guns that got as many kills as a Russian cruiser's torps. 

Of course that kind of torpedo broadside in a T8 premium sometimes made the ship rather dangerous to allies and enemies alike, so Wargaming pulled the ship until they could find a way to improve its friend-to-enemy kill ratio.  Naturally we need to make sure that it doesn't land in just anyone's hands.  I'm open to ideas, but I thought I'd toss out the idea of a challenge campaign where you earn points for kills with torps that pass near enough to allies to count as potential damage. 

Looking at the minimap, I'm nearly overwhelmed with a sense of loss over what was an outstanding map, the original version of Islands of Ice.  I loved that rabbit warren of ice floes in the south east!

• Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,188 battles

Hmm now I am thinking.....

jim carrey lol GIF

[SPTR]
Members
821 posts
2,199 battles
57 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

kitakamipic.thumb.jpg.a9135c07b67ec863abef46d21e28d4c4.jpg

Despite not having the ship i think we could bring it back

but as a limited time thing (christmas containers maybe?)

the reason why this thing probably got more team kills than enemy kills:

idiots who don't pay attention to allies in their torps arcs

allies who are idiots not paying attention

basically no one payed attention

but the torps themselves are devastating to anything within their range...

if people apply a little bit of skill and attentiveness then this ship will be another ship you should fear 

Members
2,403 posts
5,421 battles

It could come back but only with DEEP TORPEDOS  much like the Asashio restricted to hitting BB's and CV's only presently. Asashio's torp range is 20 km so maybe Kitakami should be restricted to 15km because of the volume amount of torps it can launch.   

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,746 posts
9,446 battles
28 minutes ago, Ace6steel said:

true it also kind of gives the game a little bit of realism

IRL you have to watch where you're firing because there is such thing as friendly fire

thats what the team damage is: friendly fire

It makes it all the sweeter when it’s your teammate that takes the shot, you maneuver around it, and that loosing fight becomes a victory thanks to that torp hit. 

[SPTR]
Members
821 posts
2,199 battles
4 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

It could come back but only with DEEP TORPEDOS  much like the Asashio restricted to hitting BB's and CV's only presently. Asashio's torp range is 20 km so maybe Kitakami should be restricted to 15km because of the volume amount of torps it can launch.   

this could work...

that way with the ship's superior speed an manueverability it get out ahead of the friendly BBs and focus on torping enemy BBs

and limiting the torp range does seem viable as balance because of the amount of torpedoes this ship can fire

though i've heard kitakami murders your credits

Beta Testers
1,436 posts
2,384 battles

If they gave it deep water fish so it couldn't nuke its own destroyer screen before dying it would mitigate the majority of the TK issues.  It would still be absolute garbage (even more than CBT due to the radar meta) and waste of a cruiser slot on your team.

Edited by TheStarSlayer

[SPTR]
Members
821 posts
2,199 battles
5 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It makes it all the sweeter when it’s your teammate that takes the shot, you maneuver around it, and that loosing fight becomes a victory thanks to that torp hit. 

that happened to me in my Konig in ranked yesterday...

how odd...

managed to turn Me (Konig) and an emerald vs a GC, Kongo, furrytaco, and a Kami into a win

mostly due to his torps being damaging enough for me to delete the ships

and the kami COMPELETLEY ignoring me for once

normally DDs would be finding me as food but oddly enough they've been largely ignoring me

Edited by Ace6steel

[DANKY]
Members
429 posts
1,554 battles
3 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Think that one through a minute. An Asashio without BBs around can still run point for the team, since it has great concealment and it can knife fight in a pinch. At the very least it can capture points and rack up solid damage-upon-spotting numbers. 

A Kitakami with Asashio torps and no BB around has no imaginable reason to exist. You gotta give her regular DW torps at least, and make peace with what will inevitably happen next. 

[SPTR]
Members
821 posts
2,199 battles
3 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Think that one through a minute. An Asashio without BBs around can still run point for the team, since it has great concealment and it can knife fight in a pinch. At the very least it can capture points and rack up solid damage-upon-spotting numbers. 

A Kitakami with Asashio torps and no BB around has no imaginable reason to exist. You gotta give her regular DW torps at least, and make peace with what will inevitably happen next. 

as in the ship possibly hitting a friendly CA/CL?

depends on the friendly CA/CL itself

though Pan-Asian torps would work pretty well with it

Edited by Ace6steel

Members
2,403 posts
5,421 battles
8 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Think this one through....what is the point to play a ship? Spotting ONLY? Would you do that only?  Primary purpose is to play and obtain damage points not matter whats out there.  If you have no targets that you can kill then you would go with plan B but think again...when you spawn do you think MM would have NO CV"s and NO BB's to have you seek and destroy?

Edited by dionkraft