You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wolcott

Aircraft carriers to be removed from PvE operations

59 comments in this topic

[WPP]
Members
455 posts
5,100 battles

Well boo.  I have 6-8 ships set up specifically for Operations and that includes modules and captains trained for AA.  I really liked the CV aspects of the missions. 

• Cool 7

Beta Testers
2,831 posts
4,033 battles

i thought they removed the option to play as CV's  from pve. the thread title scared me.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 1

[BOTES]
Members
137 posts
3,108 battles

It makes sense that OPs designed with a completely different CV balance would get rid of said CVs once a rework dawned. They'll like design new OPs that account for new CV capabilities, as well as work on AI that can use the class.

• Cool 2

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts

I kinda assumed this was going to have to happen. Likewise, in keeping with major releases, I assume a new Op will be released that is totally Carrier-Centric with maybe only CV's allowed.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 3

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,433 battles

Well that's about as crappy as it can get!

• Cool 2

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,445 battles

ST. Operations updates.

Updated operations "Newport", "Narai", "Aegis" and "Killer Whale".

In operation "Newport", aircraft carriers Zuiho, Hiryu, and Lexington were replaced by Myogi, Yamato, and Baltimore, respectively.

Zuiho -> Myogi - This will likely not change too much in difficulty probably.
Hiryu -> Yamato - Likely increased chance to lose a star from the base losing a building as last wave battleships already do it from long distance. Adding another battleship will only make it more likely.
Lexington -> Baltimore - Possibly easier? Baltimore may be a little harder to kill than a Lexington

---

In the operation of "Narai", enemy Ranger is replaced by battleship New York, and the possibility to use planes is removed from Lexington. Also, the appearance of enemy ships is ordered in this operation. The same ships will appear at a certain time now.

Lexington planes non operational makes this easier obviously.
Ranger being replaced by New York also makes this easier likely as one less ship to torpedo the transports coming in.

---

In operation "Aegis", all enemy aircraft carriers are replaced with lower tier Japanese battleships, and the allied CV is replaced with Baltimore.

I am curious if the battleships replacing the aircraft carriers are the Kongo, Fuso, and Amagi you can spawn yourself like seen here or completely brand new ones.

This video is outdated by the way as the battleships now move erratically after they spawn, possibly because of my video?

---

All the enemy aircraft carriers were replaced by Germany/Japan battleships with lower tier in operation "Killer Whale".

Aircraft carrier in base replacement - Mixed, no longer need AA but a second battleship to possibly citadel cruisers is also problematic. Bringing a second destroyer for torpedoing a battleship may be something to do.
Aircraft carriers outside base - Likely easier as much easier to spot and detect and no constant need to dodge air dropped torpedoes.

----

At least these are my thoughts on how the difficulty of each operation will likely change.

Edited by Lightninger

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
936 posts
6,351 battles

In other words, CV too many problems. Just admit the whole class is broken and remove entirely. 

• Cool 9
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 5

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
14 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

In other words, CV too many problems. Just admit the whole class is broken and remove entirely. 

No.  I suspect they'll put them back in once they rebalance the 'new' CV presence in ops.  Till then, they're BB placeholders.  

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, JonnyFreedom said:

Can they be removed from PvP too?

You can do that on your own, just go full AA spec.  You'll never see another CV again. :Smile_great:

• Funny 5

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
694 posts
6,130 battles

No Sniveling

Members
364 posts
688 battles
6 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

You can do that on your own, just go full AA spec.  You'll never see another CV again. :Smile_great:

In the rework, AA basically doesn't exist.

[-FBR-]
Members
9 posts
1,955 battles

Also no mention of Cherry Blossom that gets two allied CVs that come in plus all the land based enemy planes. So they aren't getting rid of planes entirely.

And wth to Newport. You'll have New Mex, Arizona, Bayern or Queen E going up against a Yamato!?!?!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,566 posts
3,739 battles
15 minutes ago, Jedisilentwolf said:

Also no mention of Cherry Blossom that gets two allied CVs that come in plus all the land based enemy planes. So they aren't getting rid of planes entirely.

And wth to Newport. You'll have New Mex, Arizona, Bayern or Queen E going up against a Yamato!?!?!

It's actually easier to deal with Yamato than say Izumo with it's slow turret traverse and sky high citadel.

Overmatch doesn't matter since 15in guns already overmatched every bb bow at tier 6.

It'll take longer to kill, but isn't necessarily a doomsday ship compared to a Montana, or GK that would be very problematic for tier 6 ships.

Thank god it isn't a Kurfurst 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
387 posts
3,337 battles

Yamato at tier six.....

we shall have to see about that one.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,790 battles
1 minute ago, JonnyFreedom said:

In the rework, AA basically doesn't exist.

Not necessarily.

AA in the rework is a matter of tracking which direction the incoming aircraft are approaching.

Being able to keep a bead on the incoming strike formation is the key to being able to fend off attacking aircraft.

The defensive fire consumable now works against all incoming aircraft approaching the ship.

The main question is how to balance your AA crews and shift them after the cooldown period ends towards the optimal port/starboard side to neutralize enemy aircraft.

I found this video showcasing AA during the CV rework:

Notice how the dive-bomber squadron took heavy losses during the bombing runs with the cruiser taking moderate damage from each strike.

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

Members
364 posts
688 battles
42 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Not necessarily.

AA in the rework is a matter of tracking which direction the incoming aircraft are approaching.

Being able to keep a bead on the incoming strike formation is the key to being able to fend off attacking aircraft.

The defensive fire consumable now works against all incoming aircraft approaching the ship.

The main question is how to balance your AA crews and shift them after the cooldown period ends towards the optimal port/starboard side to neutralize enemy aircraft.

I found this video showcasing AA during the CV rework:

Notice how the dive-bomber squadron took heavy losses during the bombing runs with the cruiser taking moderate damage from each strike.

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, US Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

Minus the fact AA defenses can be destroyed and not repaired.  So as the game goes on, those unlimited fighter squadrons become more and more valuable.  You need to make ALL AA indestructible from ship to ship damage, since it is the only thing that can help you evade attacks.  If you bomb me first to damage my AA and then come back with torps, that is a good job playing the ship right.  If I have all my AA and you try to torp me, your torp bombers should not exist.  If you dive bomb me first and then torp me, I have a lot less to complain about.  At least you used some strategy to get around my defenses.

Currently there is no way to avoid damage from planes if the CV Captain isn't useless.  Planes can still drop at 1km and have unavoidable torps.  Planes can still AP bomb ships into oblivion.  AA Defenses can still be permanently disabled.   CV can still damage people from J10 with virtual impunity (how do planes have no range limits?). Planes still move at near light speed comparatively to the rest of the game.  It seems like we have more dot damage now (flooding, fires) than ever before.  While it seems good for the CV it is bad for everyone else with the HE spam meta that currently exists. 

CV should be support ships.  They shouldn't be the damage dealers they are now.  They should be out scouting area's and providing intelligence data.  You need to re-work their scoring system to reward more for scouting and objective interaction rather than damage.  Those light speed planes would be great for preventing caps where dealing less damage is fine.  You guys have completely missed the mark on what a CV should be.  

All this re-work has basically done is stop CV players from controlling the whole map most of the time, now they just control different parts of the map most of the time.  Saying you are even near beta at this point would really dishearten me.  To me this has at least 6 more months of game tweaking and testing.  This CV rework is no where near ready for launch with out some really hard critical thinking.

Edited by JonnyFreedom
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 5

[WGA]
Administrator
661 posts
249 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

No.  I suspect they'll put them back in once they rebalance the 'new' CV presence in ops.  Till then, they're BB placeholders.  

This is effectively the goal.  Right now CVs are in flux due to the rework currently in process, so they not only need to be rebalanced for Random/Ranked/etc... but for Operations as well.  We'll have them available for Operations testing in the near future and we're very interested in your feedback. 

• Cool 3