Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tanuvein

Need help with CO when facing higher tiers

6 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
802 battles

I've been working on the Colorado for a while. I stopped playing USN BBs for a while after getting it (and quit the game for a few months since this was my main line), as I have yet to find it terribly fun. I can do well against bad teams or when facing my own tier, but the majority of my games are against higher tiers. I have trouble getting to the action at full speed in a straight line, and if I do anything but hang back a bit and let the other BBs do the most work, I kind of melt. Most BBs seem to shoot straight through my armor, especially the USN t8+ which I believe can overmatch my bow. There is no apparent defense against the higher tier HE rounds, and even if I get a good angle vs AP one of the enemies can usually redeploy to my side quicker than I can angle. And of course, if I can be shot I become a higher priority than other BBs. I understand this somewhat, as I love facing Colorados even when I'm lower tier and only a Pensacola or light cruiser provides juicier targets. (In comparison, I love my Pensacola,  which I'm also not very good at but can eat Colorados in unless I stupidly expose myself).  I just had a game where I spent a literal 8 minutes at max speed trying to join a battle between both teams that started at the opposite end of my deployment. The battle was over by the time I was even close enough to get my guns on a target. There wasn't even anyone close enough to pointlessly suicide against. 

I've had more luck dodging like I'm a cruiser than anything, vs higher tiers.

When I face my own tiers or lowers, I tend to do fine and get at least 60k damage unless I do something really stupid.

Edit: I have it at 40k xp now with all modules and full of upgrades, and am thinking of Free XPing past it, even though I'm just 20k shy of the Nelson I wanted

Edited by Tanuvein

[HINON]
Members
8,786 posts

You might try playing some more lower tier battles to improve your skills especially positioning. This becomes even more important as you move up in tiers.

[SF-3]
Members
1,428 posts
7,870 battles

The slow USN BBs positioning is super important. I havent played CO in a long time, but even when I am top tier those guns can hurt all kinds of ships. Positioning, angling and aiming are very important. Those guns hit like a truck, when they hit.

[AR15]
Members
419 posts
7,893 battles

Stick with it. There's not much you can do about spawn. Sometimes you just draw the crap straw. There's nothing you can do about RN HE spam. Power creep is real. You cant pick the games to play, only play the games you get. Position, angle, and punish broadsides.

[AAA]
Members
388 posts
5,109 battles

All I can tell you is grind through it. One of if not the worst wr I have on any ship. Like you I was completely team dependent and since I was a big gun that struggled to get in position my team struggled. 

You really need a division to support the CO as it’s so slow. Choose the wrong side and you don’t do anything. Stumble is not 3 rapid fire cruisers and burn. 

It takes a real master to snip from the back and push at the right time. 

Here is the good news. NC and up are much more fun. If you must ox past to NC. She is a beast. Then the Iowa is a race care with them big guns

On the flip side my sharny loves seeing CO on the red team! 

Members
17,672 posts
5,084 battles

Yeah, just flag/camo it up to squeeze all the XP you can, and just grind it out.

I did pretty decently in it myself, but no idea why, other than some of my best results have come from ships many people don't like.

Sign in to follow this