You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Mikasa Secondary Gunners....we need to talk

34 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,136 posts
8,762 battles

Close to boarding range. This is with manual secondaries.

Cczdjdr.jpg

Members
2,873 posts
1,365 battles

Lol, u atleast got 1300 dmg in 3 hits.  I know secondaries that struggle to break that in 60 hits...

But seriously, better secondaries would be nice...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,314 posts
11,418 battles

I didn't know ships got that close to her

Members
280 posts
9,269 battles

I once did 31k with them wayyy back when mikasa only faced tiers 1 & 2. Fun times back then...

[SIM]
Members
2,429 posts
4,060 battles

This is why I never use the ship's Sake consumable.

• Funny 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
7,354 battles
26 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

This is why I never use the ship's Sake consumable.

WeeGee, sake consumable when plz?

Members
2,873 posts
1,365 battles
9 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

WeeGee, sake consumable when plz?

Its an innate consumeable given to all BBs, increases shot spread by 15% for MB and 50% for secondaries.  IJN have the penalty reduced to 12.5% and 35%

• Cool 1

Members
1,494 posts
7,377 battles

Yeah, it's time to buff the Mikasa me thinks.  It will not be OP WG and there is no reason why you cant give it more secondary range/better dispersion.  You can buff it and make it a tier 3, I don't care.  Just give the ship some love.

Edited by Hangoverhomey
  • Cool 3

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,131 battles

I'd be really happy if they buffed the 2nds on that. Not like the main guns will carry you through a fight. lol

Members
334 posts
14 battles

She actually has even more accurate main guns that T3 BBs and half their historical reload time so there is not much room for improvement there...

But her secondaries could get some love. At least 5 km base range imho.

+ i think she should get permanent bonus for ramming. She had massive bow ram after all

She will never be strong at range. WG should at least make a good brawler of her. Right now shes in the middle of the way

Edited by puxflacet

[ARGSY]
Members
5,725 posts
3,912 battles
32 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Not like the main guns will carry you through a fight. lol

I've citadelled cruisers with the main guns, but she'll never be a brawler in anything but co-op; human players know too well to stay at her maximum main gun range and they won't get hurt. It would need Yubari's accuracy mod in Slot 1 to really reform that ship, and even then the salvo density from only four main guns is going to screw her over a bit.

When I've got a couple hundred thousand more Elite Captain XP built up and can afford to be frivolous with it, I'm going to create a 10 point captain for that ship with AR, BFT and AFT. Manual secondaries I am not so keen on; the whole point of secondary spec, in my mind, is to charge BETWEEN enemy ships and let the light guns go full crazy on BOTH sides.

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,131 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I've citadelled cruisers with the main guns, but she'll never be a brawler in anything but co-op; human players know too well to stay at her maximum main gun range and they won't get hurt. It would need Yubari's accuracy mod in Slot 1 to really reform that ship, and even then the salvo density from only four main guns is going to screw her over a bit.

When I've got a couple hundred thousand more Elite Captain XP built up and can afford to be frivolous with it, I'm going to create a 10 point captain for that ship with AR, BFT and AFT. Manual secondaries I am not so keen on; the whole point of secondary spec, in my mind, is to charge BETWEEN enemy ships and let the light guns go full crazy on BOTH sides.

I mean. I feel that if they gave her 1 km more on her 2nd guns, she would be somewhat enjoyable. Just currently they gotta be spitting range for the guns to start shooting... and they are extremely inaccurate as it is.  I donno, maybe I just like seeing the guns going off even though they don't do much! lol

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
916 posts
6,285 battles

Mikasa desperately needs another 1km added to her secondary range. You've got to get basically point blank for them to be effective and anyone with a brain knows to outrun you. 

Members
18 posts
550 battles

if only WG would make the t5 secondary battery module a t1 module, that would help solve a lot of low tier frustration with secondary guns.

secondarys as a whole could use some love, They cant hit a barn fom the inside and until t7 their range is a joke, Gating the captain perks that help with both accuracy and range behind 4 point skills dosent help either. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,725 posts
3,912 battles
24 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Just currently they gotta be spitting range for the guns to start shooting...

That's why I almost invariably play her in co-op. The Varyag is a similar beast; it's fun to knife-fight DD's and YOLO battleships in co-op, but your secondaries never get a chance in Randoms; it's stay at a safe distance or die.

Members
2,873 posts
1,365 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's why I almost invariably play her in co-op. The Varyag is a similar beast; it's fun to knife-fight DD's and YOLO battleships in co-op, but your secondaries never get a chance in Randoms; it's stay at a safe distance or die.

Yeah secondaries are pretty crap, wg should totally buff all secondary ranges to a minimum of 6-7km, they are marginally useful at that range and can be pushed out.  Atm, secondaries are little more then wasted code on a majority of the ships

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,769 posts
12,878 battles

Well, to be fair, it is a T2 ship captained by mostly veteran players.  So even though I lament the secondary ineffectiveness, I think it's probably spec'd appropriately given what it is and where it is and who it's for.

My dismal secondary performance is mainly due to DDs that were mostly at range....3.8km  (yeah....I bump 'em to 3.8km).  Good thing, is all the fireworks is sometimes better than the results.  One DD approched me...my secondaries went crazy....made a lot of noise and threw up a lot of pretty flame balls...but didn't do anything.  The DD decided to smoke up as I avoided one spread of torps...and I ran smack dab into a land mass....still detected by someone else.

I didn't know it at the time, but the DD smoked up to run away.  He could have just sat there while I SLOOOWLY backed up....and SLOOWLY got going again....waited for a torp recharge...and then walked right up to me and bam...DS.  I was waiting for this to occur...but nope.  A T2 captain saved me that day...by NOT realizing how easy of a kill I was sitting there.  All because of all the commotion my secondaries made.

So...yeah...it's perfectly spec'd where it's at.

As for those secondaries...they do perform better against bigger targets.  But anyone who knows the Mikasa...knows to just stay out of range.  Unless of course, you are a DD captain and know what you're doing...and then you can either torp just outside vis range...or wait for an opportune moment...walk right up and torp it point blank.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles
3 hours ago, KnightFandragon said:

Yeah secondaries are pretty crap, wg should totally buff all secondary ranges to a minimum of 6-7km, they are marginally useful at that range and can be pushed out.  Atm, secondaries are little more then wasted code on a majority of the ships 

Secondaries in general are crap.  I remember I spec'd out my Yamato for secondaries once, and quickly realized that I was still doing 98% of my damage with my mains.  I quickly changed everything so that it supported the main batteries instead.  Even on German BBs, the damage is weak overall.  I'll have my Bismarck firing secondaries for most of the battle, only to see 13K damage. 

At best, secondaries are like cruisers firing HE - yeah they do some damage to the other team, but it's all repairable and they never lead to a devastating strike like torpedoes or a well placed broadside. 

[-THOR]
Members
167 posts
2,206 battles
57 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

As for those secondaries...they do perform better against bigger targets.  But anyone who knows the Mikasa...knows to just stay out of range.  Unless of course, you are a DD captain and know what you're doing...and then you can either torp just outside vis range...or wait for an opportune moment...walk right up and torp it point blank.

Yep.  There was a time when most people didn't know about the secondaries, just like there was a time when most people didn't know that the Scharnhorst and Tirpitz had torpedoes.  The problem, as you've identified, is that the only ships that get close to you are the DDs coming to delete you.  Great, you did 800 damage with your secondaries!  And he only did... 30,000 with his torps.  Good trade.

[DRACS]
Members
3,340 posts

Mikasa's secondaries are not that bad. They are just really short range. On the other hand, her main guns are ridiculously inaccurate to the point of being able to completely straddle a target at point blank range. 

I save my Mikasa for coop and just charge in to let my secondaries kill targets since my big guns can't hit them.

[SF-3]
Members
1,431 posts
7,882 battles

I remember when this ship came out and the devs basically admitted she was a meme. Drive though the middle of the map letting your secondaries off, something like that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,136 posts
8,762 battles
8 hours ago, Merlox said:

I'd be really happy if they buffed the 2nds on that. Not like the main guns will carry you through a fight. lol

The main guns actually are not bad but at anything over 6 - 7 Km you are wasting ammo.

Members
5,020 posts
2,948 battles

I don't play that ship for a reason. She's the worst ship in the game. Only semblance of a "strong" feature is her secondaries which are hilariously inaccurate and have a max range of 4km, which anyone with a full set of chromosomes can stay out of given Mikasa's top speed of 18 knots.

I still can't figure why she's in the game other than to scam people out of a few bucks, and just to be able to say she is. I would actually prefer taking a Hashidate into battle over her.

Edited by goldeagle1123

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,155 posts
3,867 battles

Mikasa really should have a 5-6km base secondary range, and a significantly better secondary accuracy.

Maybe her gimmick can be that despite being tier 2, she gets the tier 7 benefit from Manual Secondaries.

The range issue might be (at least partially) solved by just giving her access to the secondary range module.

She was free for me, won through an event, but she's so ludicrously bad that it can't help but feel spiteful considering Mikasa is one of the ships that spanked the Russians so hard at Tsushima that they gave up on having a Navy for 45 years. Between her bad main battery behavior and her secondaries being so thoroughly hamstrung, she's literally only capable in co-op.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1