You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

commander points

24 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,721 battles

Ok, I agree it is best to have 19 point commanders on every ship but that isn't realistic, especially for new(er) players.

My question going by tier from T6 to T10 what is the minimum points you should have on a commander for random battles. I'm looking for a general consensus.

[-CIV-]
Members
185 posts
2,243 battles

Short answer: 0.

Personally, I've found running 8-point commanders optimal when starting from T6, since you can usually get your commander to 10 points by T7 or T8. This is the point where either concealment or IFHE becomes extremely important on certain ships. Following this rate, you can get your commander to 14 points by T10. Otherwise, I think it depends mostly on the ship type. 1-point minimum on cruisers for PT, 3-point minimum on DDs for Last Stand.

Of course, if you run ships with 0 point commanders or are retraining commanders in Randoms, that's perfectly fine, and is why I consider 0 the actual minimum.

Edited by yungpanda

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,714 posts
9,481 battles

minimum capt skill is 6, since you will get all the basic requirement from t1/t2/t3, and 10 pts as CE or IFHE and aiming for 14 pts if some one super whale wallet warrior

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles

10 is the standard, but some ships like CLs and Secondary Spec / AA Spec ships demand 14pts at the bare minimum.  Some ships, build styles are more lax.

A new VIII Baltimore player in Tier VIII may be basically content with just Concealment Expert, 10pts.

A new VIII Cleveland player in Tier VIII with only 10pts needs IFHE for the guns, but will be running without CE and so will not have access to her magnificent concealment until 14pts.

VII Nagato players will generally be content just to have CE / 10pts just so they're not spotted from the moon.

VII Scharnhorst / Gneisenau players have Secondary Spec demands placed on them, 14pts for AFT & Manual Secondaries, and they're still not able to take CE or FP.

A bunch of DDs in Tier VI+ can get by with 10pts for mandatory CE.  But not having CE in Tier VI+ for a DD can be a problem, unless you're a Russian Cruiser Destroyer.

CVs aren't that greedy in mandatory points, 10pts for AS will suffice, but for Lexington, you'll have sh*t concealment if you don't have CE and it becomes a big problem.  So she sort of needs 14 at the bare minimum.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,333 posts
11,458 battles

At tier 6 you will see tier 8 matches.

Usually your greatest asset is not being seen, so 10 points minimum. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,723 posts
11,347 battles

In general 10pts is the bare minimum for a captain. Pretty cheep to XP a captain to 10pts so that is a nice place to start.

[TRG]
Members
121 posts
2,557 battles

depends on what ship type you prefer playing.

a DD should have a minimum of 10 skill points so you can have CE skill. I dont know why many players dont use this, but this is a crucial skill for a DD as concealment is everything

A cruiser too should have minimum 10 points. based on the gun caliber its better to have IFHE so you can pump out the damge and not just rely on shatters and fires for damage. 14 point is better as you can take the CE skill for cruisers too

as a BB, mainly depending on your ship type, I feel like 8-9 point captain can be good enough. AR, turret rotation skill and damage prevention skills are really important. if the BB is stealthy then you can opt for CE too and make it more stealthier. 

once you have these captains then I suggest you keep on improving them and getting 19 point commanders. I use the scenarios and premium ships for training my captains and I now have 4 19 point caps and other 3 close to 19. keep on grinding

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,721 battles

Thank you for your comments.

I use the scenarios and premium ships for training my captains and I now have 4 19 point caps and other 3 close to 19. keep on grinding

Very good points. I too use scenarios & premium ships as I grind away for my 1st 19pt captain.

Beta Testers
602 posts

One thing that surprises me is that as much as WG likes to make $$$ they don’t always have Captains to purchase at premium shop.  You’d think they’d have the 10 point ones for every nationality up most of the time.  But maybe they sell better keeping it a bit of a rarity.

And I don’t mean anime captains.  :Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
Members
8,863 posts
7,288 battles
13 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Ok, I agree it is best to have 19 point commanders on every ship but that isn't realistic, especially for new(er) players.

My question going by tier from T6 to T10 what is the minimum points you should have on a commander for random battles. I'm looking for a general consensus.

For T6, I try to have a 10pt Cmdr by the end of the T6 grind, if not before. I try to have a 12-14pt Cmdr for T8 ships and as high as I can get by T10.

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,721 battles
3 hours ago, LeiTbadDream said:

You have in the Arsenal 3 captains of 10pts to buy if you wish.

regards

I see your location is listed as Buenos Aires, Argentina, glad to have you on the NA sever.

Yes, there are 10pt commanders in the Arsenal. I received a 10pt commander with the Dunkerque this morning from a super container. The last 2 supercontainers I got have had ships & the commanders had points. It was 3 months between the super containers.

• Cool 1

[BEER]
Members
100 posts
1,478 battles

10 to 14 is the basic minimum before I'd consider a ship gimped by lack of Commander skills.

[KMK]
Members
43 posts
6,165 battles
17 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Veo que su ubicación figura como Buenos Aires, Argentina, me alegra tenerlo en el servidor de NA.

That's right and luckily I'm not the only one .. :cap_like:
Thanks for your greeting !!!

• Cool 1

Members
17,795 posts
5,084 battles
21 hours ago, LeiTbadDream said:

You have in the Arsenal 3 captains of 10pts to buy if you wish.

regards

Oh hey, was in a Ranked Jr. game with you yesterday. I can't remember if you were driving Konig or Kongo, but you and an enemy were driving the same ship and rammed at the end.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
On 10/23/2018 at 1:40 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

VII Scharnhorst / Gneisenau players have Secondary Spec demands placed on them, 14pts for AFT & Manual Secondaries

Even assuming that you WANT manual secondaries - there is something to be said for having them on automatic so they can fire off on both sides if you are boxed in or decide to YOLO.

Now in the Massachusetts, which was put into the game specifically to act as a US secondary brawler... yeah, I can see a place for it there, especially with the obscene maximum range their secondaries have.  But the Scharnhorst sisters, with their torpedoes, are close-range brawly ships IMO and I'm not even sure they need Concealment Expert.

[KMK]
Members
43 posts
6,165 battles
22 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Oh, hey, estaba en un juego de Jr. Clasificado contigo ayer. No puedo recordar si estabas conduciendo Konig o Kongo, pero tú y un enemigo conducían la misma nave y chocaron al final.

Hello, my respects. I was playing with "dispersion" Koning and it has not been going very well .. LoL.
regards

Edited by LeiTbadDream

[KRAK]
Members
943 posts
13,070 battles
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, Capt_of_Satisfaction said:

One thing that surprises me is that as much as WG likes to make $$$ they don’t always have Captains to purchase at premium shop.  You’d think they’d have the 10 point ones for every nationality up most of the time.  But maybe they sell better keeping it a bit of a rarity.

And I don’t mean anime captains.  :Smile_facepalm:

They do offer ten pointers quite often with some premium ships I believe also in the arsenal you can buy them. You can also do your tasks and get rewarded with 10 pt "special" captains. I probably have 10 or more in my reserve that have never seen a ship as yet.

[KRAK]
Members
943 posts
13,070 battles

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, kgh52 said:

If you have a ship of the same line you are looking to play at higher tiers the best thing you can do is use the captain you want with high skill level on it while using every commander xp flag and camo you can on it (if have a premium ship of the same nation and training on it would make this even faster i.)and it will gain skill points very fast.

You can make skill points fairly quickly this way up to about 11 or 12 then it slows down a bit.

Edited by Vaffu

Beta Testers
602 posts
25 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

They do offer ten pointers quite often with some premium ships I believe also in the arsenal you can buy them. You can also do your tasks and get rewarded with 10 pt "special" captains. I probably have 10 or more in my reserve that have never seen a ship as yet.

Thats true.  They also have so many “bundles,” I suppose the always present Captains would undercut that a little.

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,721 battles

You can make skill points fairly quickly this way up to about 11 or 12 then it slows down a bit.

What you call "slow down a bit" seems like hitting a brick wall. I have a lot of commanders in the 10 to 12 point range progressing at a snail's pace.

[KMK]
Members
43 posts
6,165 battles
9 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Lo que llamas "ralentizar un poco" parece golpear una pared de ladrillos. Tengo muchos comandantes en el rango de 10 a 12 puntos que progresan a la velocidad de un caracol.

Getting to the first cap of 19 pts is a job, but ... once you have it, it starts to become easier.

Just 1 month ago (after 1 year) I had my first cap of 19pts.

I'm already in the third and with two in 17pts.

The first one is the one that costs more, but that "will help" that the process of the next ones is easier.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,752 posts
6,734 battles
On 10/22/2018 at 11:37 PM, kgh52 said:

Minimum? 3 for DDs (PT+LS), 1 for everyone else (PT).