You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Tricks in defeating the Okhotnik in Ranked play

7 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,815 battles

Sent a message to Destroyer_KuroshioKai after reading his post.  While I'm waiting for the response, I figure that I will ask the Brain Trust here in the Forum.  Have a Nicholas with a 10 pt captain (only T5 dd I have left).  Doing OK in the new Ranked battles until an Okhotnik shows up.  Can't seem to defeat this paper dd with the Nick.  Better concealment, better guns, and better torps.  I do have a maneuver advantage, but it doesn't seem to mean much.

Any ideas on how to counter this ship ina Nick?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
7,373 battles

You have longer ranged torps, for one thing. To make his less effective, stay away from him. You outrange him with guns, as well, plus, your rate of fire is far higher than his, effectively making your guns equal, he has more, yours fire in half the time. Even better, you're faster. His one real danger is he has more HP than you do.

The average Nich shouldn't lose to the average Okhoky.

• Cool 1

Members
1,681 posts
9,749 battles

@AMajor  Heres the PM I sent you.

Nichs strength is really her smokes.  You should never be 1v1 you are a CA best friend.  Even if its a BB use a team mate, and as many as possible.

If you do fight her try to get her bow less guns that can point at you, and also she is really easy to torp from this position.  Torp and gun her down.  Stern can work too, but she more likely to dodge the torps, however they will lock her in position longer for your guns.  She is pretty vulnerable to torps if you catch her broadside.

Okhotnik's guns does burst damage.  Possibly disengaging with smoke before she can shoot twice will result in favorable trades.  Particularly if you can pick up an extra hit or three after you drop off.

Send me some replays and I will look at it closer and give you a private review.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,682 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Sent a message to Destroyer_KuroshioKai after reading his post.  While I'm waiting for the response, I figure that I will ask the Brain Trust here in the Forum.  Have a Nicholas with a 10 pt captain (only T5 dd I have left).  Doing OK in the new Ranked battles until an Okhotnik shows up.  Can't seem to defeat this paper dd with the Nick.  Better concealment, better guns, and better torps.  I do have a maneuver advantage, but it doesn't seem to mean much.

It’s Torp range is 4.5 k and has a 45 second reloads with so many Torps by the time your finished shooting the last set your ready to start the first again 

concealment is like 5.6 and the guns traverse across her deck making either side shooting quick .. the guns are ridiculous .. to many to count ...use your longer Torp range is your best bet

[WOLF9]
Members
1,048 posts

Make him turn, the Nick is more agile and has the better turret traverse. Chuck one set of torps  and pound him while he is trying to avoid them. Reverse direction, repeat.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,250 posts
8,815 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

Bring a cruiser with you.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,343 posts
11,507 battles
49 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

@AMajor  Heres the PM I sent you.

Nichs strength is really her smokes.  You should never be 1v1 you are a CA best friend.  Even if its a BB use a team mate, and as many as possible.

If you do fight her try to get her bow less guns that can point at you, and also she is really easy to torp from this position.  Torp and gun her down.  Stern can work too, but she more likely to dodge the torps, however they will lock her in position longer for your guns.  She is pretty vulnerable to torps if you catch her broadside.

Okhotnik's guns does burst damage.  Possibly disengaging with smoke before she can shoot twice will result in favorable trades.  Particularly if you can pick up an extra hit or three after you drop off.

Send me some replays and I will look at it closer and give you a private review.

Very thoughtful response. Thanks for the insight. If I hadn't got one free, I would never play him. It is a tough boat to play.