You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SpinyMuffins

Why is the Phoenix so flammable?

25 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts
310 battles

Why does the Phoenix catch fire so easily? I hate this ship. I just started playing it, and literally the first time I get hit by HE from anyone, and it bursts into flames and I lose half my HP. Meanwhile, I can land a dozen hits of HE of my own, and it doesn't hurt anyone. Is this thing built out of match-sticks or something? I thought it would be better than the St Louis, but I'm starting to miss that slow lumbering piece of crap.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

Heh, if you think fires are your biggest problem as a Cruiser, wait until you climb higher in the tiers :Smile_popcorn:

Members
4,441 posts
6,137 battles

Good ship if ya dont get hit.  Delicate. Staaaaaay away from up-close. 

Members
1,478 posts
659 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Heh, if you think fires are your biggest problem as a Cruiser, wait until you climb higher in the tiers :Smile_popcorn:

Fires aren't even the biggest problem in the Phoenix.

It is getting straight up blown in half by a BB.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Members
525 posts
29 battles

Before the days of the AFT change many a Phoenix/Omaha/Murmansk/etc could be seen in their natural habitat the Catabrian Circle. Time has not been kind to the Phoenix.

• Cool 1

[-WPG-]
Members
727 posts
3,133 battles

One ship doesn't have any propensity of catching fire vs. another, except for the inherent fire resistance which is the same for every ship in a given tier.  But I agree Pheonix wasn't a fun ship to play, because whenever it's spotted, everyone is taking shots at it because it has aluminum foil for armor.  

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
4 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Fires aren't even the biggest problem in the Phoenix.

It is getting straight up blown in half by a BB.

Correct.  BB AP is the biggest threat.  Not HE, not Fires.  But the low tier Cruisers have one thing going for them.  BB gunnery in these tiers is pretty unreliable.  Wait until the later tiers where BBs start getting more range and accuracy.  AZ, Warspite, Fuso await.  There's also the Great Pasta Ninja in Tier V, Caesar.  Then things start getting crazier with BBs in Tier VII and higher.

Members
1,478 posts
659 battles
Just now, DouglasMacAwful said:

One ship doesn't have any propensity of catching fire vs. another, except for the inherent fire resistance which is the same for every ship in a given tier.  But I agree Pheonix wasn't a fun ship to play, because whenever it's spotted, everyone is taking shots at it because it has aluminum foil for armor.  

If you liked playing the old FROGGER game, Phoenix is a blast.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Members
8,804 posts
23 minutes ago, Sparviero said:

Before the days of the AFT change many a Phoenix/Omaha/Murmansk/etc could be seen in their natural habitat the Catabrian Circle. Time has not been kind to the Phoenix.

Nice catabrian reference haha.

• Cool 1

Members
472 posts
1,992 battles

Either your unlucky or you getting hit by lazy he slinging Brit BBs alot. Just dance around and try not to get hit at all and you will do fine.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

Nice catabrian reference haha.

In those days, Omaha's nickname was "OPmaha" and everyone kept theirs.  Murmansk was even magically better (fueled by Vodka:  Better torpedoes, better AP penetration, significantly better rudder shift).

Look at the AP :Smile_teethhappy:

ClzwGPW.jpg

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,185 battles
1 hour ago, SpinyMuffins said:

Why does the Phoenix catch fire so easily? I hate this ship. I just started playing it, and literally the first time I get hit by HE from anyone, and it bursts into flames and I lose half my HP. Meanwhile, I can land a dozen hits of HE of my own, and it doesn't hurt anyone. Is this thing built out of match-sticks or something? I thought it would be better than the St Louis, but I'm starting to miss that slow lumbering piece of crap.

I like one-timing Dev Strike salvoes on Phoenix...why bother to burn her when the AP will kill her first try....

[TDRB]
Members
955 posts
3,644 battles

My German BB's have a bonfire going constantly on deck. Sometimes I think the crews are more interested in roasting marshmallows for s'mores than reloading their guns.

[DOG]
Members
146 posts
5,884 battles

I used to play Phoenix a lot (122 games, 53% win rate, avg damage 34.5K, max almost 92K). It can pump out the damage, and as others have said, it's somewhat fragile.,  Use it's speed to dodge in-coming shells. It's very good at that. But you can't spend all your time zoomed in focusing on shooting other ships.  Don't close to BBs - Kite them and start fires on one, switch to another start fires and then switch back. Most people are uncomfortable with having a fire burn and losing their HPs. BUT... after using their damage control - hit them hard and get multiple fires burning to really rack up the points - get one in the front, middle, and back of the ship - once a fire is burning in one "zone" you need to start a fire in another zone - otherwise you're just doing straight HE damage (and limited to the single fire in the one zone if you keep targetting that zone).  Switch to AP when you have another CA at close range and broadside to you (to finish them off).

[HINON]
Members
8,804 posts
24 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Maybe they should do a Tier IV Ranked and see how well the Cruisers hold up there :Smile_trollface:

My Rasputin hungers . . .

[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,848 posts
3,518 battles

per tier every single ship has the exact same fire resistance. except FXP premiums which have a small bump.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,205 posts
6,433 battles
1 hour ago, Hanger_18 said:

per tier every single ship has the exact same fire resistance. except FXP premiums which have a small bump.

You are forgetting Z-39, which kept her T8 stats.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,195 posts
7,604 battles
3 hours ago, Sparviero said:

Tell me about it, my St. Louis, Konigsberg, and Nurnberg are still holding up their middle fingers towards wargaming for that move.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
1 minute ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Tell me about it, my St. Louis, Konigsberg, and Nurnberg are still holding up their middle fingers towards wargaming for that move.

19.1km gun range Konigsberg was AWESOME!  I remember picking off Carriers in the back on Ocean with K-Berg! :Smile_veryhappy:

[NGA-B]
Members
1,195 posts
7,604 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

19.1km gun range Konigsberg was AWESOME!  I remember picking off Carriers in the back on Ocean with K-Berg! :Smile_veryhappy:

Not to mention the stealth-firing window. When light cruisers ruled the roost at this game and you could get rather high amounts of spotting damage.

Alpha Tester
2,282 posts
4,356 battles

I think I set a Phoenix on fire yesterday while playing my Cesare and using AP, but it blew up so fast, I couldn't be sure about the fire :)

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles

I think the real question is that Phoenix tears have healing abilities so why does it not have a heal, as for catching fire, you must be using it on burning days.