You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kiwi1960

My honest view of RANKED SPRINT!

170 comments in this topic

[1RD]
[1RD]
Members
524 posts

Quite apart from the numerous bugs in the game from the last update, resulting in my having to delete then reinstall the game and quite apart from the current problems, where, on the main map, entire islands are invisible, or rather, the dirt and rocks are, the trees, I can see, which means I can see through the islands at enemy ships...

Yes, quite apart from all that...

Ranked battles is just not worth it. the adverts go along the lines of "prove your skill and reach number one"...

BUT, because 5 other players are in the "team", its nothing to do with skill, its pure luck. Nothing more.

Those lucky enough to encounter good teams reach R1 very soon... others, like me, hover between R5 (no stars) to somewhere on R4 ... backwards and forwards, because its the luck of the draw. The law of chance dictates that it will always be 50 - 50... if you win. You can do everything right, and thanks to the other 5 players, still lose.

Other players, yeah right.... I'm tired of being rammed by idiots permanently in binocular view... DESPITE my using the ships horn till I run out of steam for it... when you are in a BB and they are in a DD, then there is no way you're going to avoid them... then, in my BB, I head towards the cap we all agreed on only to find the other BB's hanging well back ready to snipe from a vast distance away, the Cruisers hide behind the closest island to lob shells at the enemy... DD's blind me with smoke, so the enemy can shoot at me as a DD is spotting for them but I can see nothing, so I sit there and lose half my health waiting for the smoke to clear.

RANKED has NOTHING to do with skill. NOTHING AT ALL, its a big con game, a PONZI scheme....

If RANKED meant RANKED.... then the way to do it is, Top two players advance a rank, bottom two drop a rank, the two in the middle, no change.

That would be much fairer, given that then, our skill really DOES help us and we are not held back by a lousy team, unless they play RIGHT, then they will never get the R1.

Either that, or WoWs can teach these players how to play AS A TEAM... right now, its purely down to luck.

Those who have reached R1 did so because of luck, NOT skill, and received their 5000 coal. You may as well have a lottery .... or have a daily container with 5000 coal that 50 people can win... because either way, its luck. Nothing more.

There is a reason I stopped playing RANDOM, actually, reasonS ... one of them happens in ranked as well and if you complain about it in chat, you find yourself a priority target of the enemy team... and that is players from both sides (red and green) having a conversation in chat throughout the entire game... very off putting.

I might play the odd ranked battle, but I've given up on ranked now. I'm just not that lucky to win the lottery....

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 12

[RIPQP]
[RIPQP]
Members
32 posts
9,130 battles

I'm pretty sure me ranking out in 16 games (and saving a star each of my 3 loses) is indicative of skill and not luck. And I'm not the only one who did it such few games, many others have as well. People who complain the most about the ranked struggle are usually those who need to be carried to all their victories. But they always want to blame others for their poor performance, it's never their fault...

• Cool 11
  • Bad 7

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles

@kiwi1960

Sorry dude, but there is a lot of skill involved.  Because Ranked Sprint is at tier 5, yes there are a lot of newbies playing.  But if you're any good, a skilled player should find it easier to carry a team to victory than in higher tier ranked battles.  On my way to ranking out (last night), there were a few battles where my efforts were the direct reason why my team won.  One in particular where I found myself alone against 2 enemy ships, me in my KamiR vs a BB and another player in a KamiR.  I first dev striked the BB, then I out played the enemy KamiR for the win.  And in the battle in which I ranked out, it was a battle with 4 BB and 2 DD per team, and I ended up dev striking two enemy BBs, along with some other damage.

Furthermore, in Ranked Sprint, you have the opportunity to div up with another player.  I strongly suggest using it because if you get another decent player with you, that's one less player on your team that left up to random choice.  And if you and your div mate play well, that's one third of your team.  And 2 players on a team of 6 can certainly hard carry a tier 5 ranked battle.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
320 posts
6 battles

Ever notice how it's always terrible players that claim ranked is about luck and not skill? This ranked season was easy as hell. Almost every I know has ranked out in less than 30 battles. If you're struggling to rank out in a gimped rank mode where it only takes 2 wins to progress in the "premier league" that keeps R3 irrevocable, then that is indicative of your skill.

What is luck is the fact that before you hid your stats, you had a 60% WR in the last 70 days while having a 650 PR and 15k average damage.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,923 posts
14,699 battles

If you are such a good player as you seem to claim then you should not be loosing a single star

[ICBM]
Members
323 posts
7,862 battles

I like playing ranked...

I'm not good enough to carry a team and in no manner whatsoever do I lay blame with the team when a loss occurs...

I have good games and bad games, and some losses have been great games overall...

It's all about the journey and experiences along the way...

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,748 posts
6,713 battles
1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

RANKED has NOTHING to do with skill. NOTHING AT ALL, its a big con game, a PONZI scheme....

Yep, all luck! :cap_like:

hoItKrU.png

aHFwkVi.png

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 5

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,061 battles

OP does have a point, no matter how good you are, there is still a factor of luck in the game, that random torp that was not aimed at you, but catches you at the wrong time, that random detonation (happened in my gremy), RNG for if that one shell lights you up vs all the rounds you send down stream that can’t seem to light one.  So, for this format, with so few players, one can make at huge difference, sometimes randomness can work against you.

[WORX]
Members
1,640 posts
12,695 battles

Rank, ah yes all luck  but if you master these skills then that luck perception goes away quick

• The ability to carry
  • The Ability to DMG farm
  • The ability to make a star saving performance out of any potato team situation.

Due to health reason, I cant master the above mentioned skills. One thing for sure no steel for this mini rank. Congrats to those who mastered the above mentioned skills. This should ease you in the normal Rank  grind.

As for me I'll pass.

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts

There is only one common factor in every match you play and it isn't luck.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

The smaller teams made it easier to carry derpy teams (and there were lots of those) and the addition of being able to bring a friend along further helped that out. I had a lot of fun ranking out (26 matches not the best, ran into a bit of a rough patch there) but it was frustrating at times. Overall, the short t5 ranked was fun and not to be taken to seriously, the short time to rank out also helped not become a grind fest leading to burning out. 

Ultimately I am pretty happy with the Ranked Sprint and hope to see such a thing again.

• Cool 1

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

Individual player skill matters a whole lot in ranked.  It has been statistically proven.  However, blaming the other players always feels better than admitting that your incompetence is the problem.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,871 posts
7,996 battles

The skill is in figuring out how to win by outplaying your opponents and not being held back by your teammates.  If anything, that takes a lot more skill than playing on an organized and practiced team.  I am always amazed when a true unicum player is in a Random match.  They seem to decimate the opposing team irrespective of what is happening in terms of their team.  I have tried to focus them when they are enemies and they always find a way to either roll over me or make my attempts irrelevant to their activities.  Every once in a while, I find myself in predator mode and can do the same thing.  Very, very rarely though...

Edited by ExploratorOne

[RIPQP]
[RIPQP]
Members
32 posts
9,130 battles

shot-18_10.22_19_27.20-0501.thumb.jpg.b99402e54228992350431a746ad108e5.jpg

Just look at all this luck I had.... (Granted, the Giulio is OP as hell, but it was a hilariously fun time)

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,748 posts
6,713 battles
56 minutes ago, LadyJess said:

You are 100% correct. Ranked is 99% luck and maybe 1% skill.

Like 99.99% luck and 0.01% skill. If that!

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
6 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Like 99.99% luck and 0.01% skill. If that!

It’s quite obvious you have collected an unfair share of luck, now there’s none left for players like OP. :fish_book:

[-K-]
[-K-]
5,748 posts
6,713 battles
4 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

It’s quite obvious you have collected an unfair share of luck, now there’s none left for players like OP. :fish_book:

Hey, I got my luck fair and square, and I will oppose any radical proposals of luck re-distribution!

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
7 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Hey, I got my luck fair and square, and I will oppose any radical proposals of luck re-distribution!

You are leaving me no choice but to request an ability to report someone for luck in game. :cap_cool:

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
1 hour ago, pinkship9001 said:

Ever notice how it's always terrible players that claim ranked is about luck and not skill? This ranked season was easy as hell. Almost every I know has ranked out in less than 30 battles. If you're struggling to rank out in a gimped rank mode where it only takes 2 wins to progress in the "premier league" that keeps R3 irrevocable, then that is indicative of your skill.

What is luck is the fact that before you hid your stats, you had a 60% WR in the last 70 days while having a 650 PR and 15k average damage.

To be fair, there is a lot of luck involved (in MM).  But to think that there's no skill is wrong, particularly in this tier 5 season where a skilled player can have a greater impact than in tier 10 Ranked with larger teams.

Members
17,779 posts
5,084 battles

I dunno, my experience so far is that everyone seems to realise they need to up their game, and are trying.

I'm not seeing much of the usual Randoms shenanigans at all. Biggest peeve so far is DDs going in the cap and obscuring teammates' view with smoke. But it's not a big deal, because you have lots of room to maneuver to somewhere you can see without getting blapped.

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
16,998 battles
7 minutes ago, Crucis said:

To be fair, there is a lot of luck involved (in MM).  But to think that there's no skill is wrong, particularly in this tier 5 season where a skilled player can have a greater impact than in tier 10 Ranked with larger teams.

Four kills and other damage for nearly 100k and a win in New York; a derided battleship in a meta many said would be nothing but GCs and Kamis...

...as usual; the win screen came up and I was all huh? Wut?

I wish I could do such things more consciously...

Best part about that match? Devstriking a GC.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[BLHK]
Members
297 posts
3,312 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I dunno, my experience so far is that everyone seems to realise they need to up their game, and are trying.

I'm not seeing much of the usual Randoms shenanigans at all. Biggest peeve so far is DDs going in the cap and obscuring teammates' view with smoke. But it's not a big deal, because you have lots of room to maneuver to somewhere you can see without getting blapped.

I have been noticing that usually ONE BB goes awol and just sails off into a corner and sulks or something.

I do wish there was more consistency in the mix of classes in the game. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Four kills and other damage for nearly 100k and a win in New York; a derided battleship in a meta many said would be nothing but GCs and Kamis...

...as usual; the win screen came up and I was all huh? Wut?

I wish I could do such things more consciously...

Best part about that match? Devstriking a GC.

Very nice game, Prophet.  

Still, even when someone "carries" a team, he can't do it all.  (Or it's so rare that it's on par with winning a lottery.)  If a team is so bad that you can't get a win with the above results, you were on a truly horrible team.  After all, you killed 2/3rds of the enemy team, for crying out loud.

That said, it's also not about raw damage but when you do the damage and get the kills.

EDIT: BTW, Prophet, in my 28 games I needed to rank out (64% WR), I'm pretty sure that I saw every single tier 5 ship in the game.  And while there's no doubt that there are some ships that are better than others, I think that the skill of the captain is more important than the ship itself.  

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
162 posts
1,527 battles
1 hour ago, swifttex1 said:

I like playing ranked...

I'm not good enough to carry a team and in no manner whatsoever do I lay blame with the team when a loss occurs...

I have good games and bad games, and some losses have been great games overall...

It's all about the journey and experiences along the way...

Same here. I had some great games and we lost. I had some ok games and we won. And all combinations in between.

I didn't run all the way to 1 (just stopped to focus on grinds), but was enjoying the games I played, for the most part.

I saw some things that infuriated me, and I'm sure I did a thing or two to infuriate my team. 

This was my second experience in ranked. I made 15 in the most recent full season, and was limited there as I do not have any tier Xs. I'm ok with that right now at this stage. 

Edited by CatSnipah