You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KilljoyCutter

RN DDs -- missions vs grinding

12 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but my search-fu is failing me.

I have the Icarus, from the crate unlock mission.  It's at about 46k XP toward the Jervis.

Last night, out of some random crate, I received the Jervis unlock mission. 

Is it more advantageous to grind out the Jervis with Icarus first, and then finish the Jervis bonus unlock mission... or to obtain Jervis with the bonus unlock mission first? 

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
220 posts
7,879 battles

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you open RN DD mission past 7.10, you don't actually get the ship anymore, but only credits for the ship for completing the mission. So you still have to grind to get Jervis, but you get the credits to buy it from the mission.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts
1 hour ago, axyarthur said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you open RN DD mission past 7.10, you don't actually get the ship anymore, but only credits for the ship for completing the mission. So you still have to grind to get Jervis, but you get the credits to buy it from the mission.

That would be an  interesting twist.

[PVE]
Members
8,860 posts
7,257 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but my search-fu is failing me.

I have the Icarus, from the crate unlock mission.  It's at about 46k XP toward the Jervis.

Last night, out of some random crate, I received the Jervis unlock mission. 

Is it more advantageous to grind out the Jervis with Icarus first, and then finish the Jervis bonus unlock mission... or to obtain Jervis with the bonus unlock mission first? 

1 hour ago, The_Painted_Target said:

If you complete the mission and have jervis you get credit compensation for having the ship.

This is true. The Jervis Early Access Mission is to collect 14k base XP with any T5+ ship. The Jervis is 65k worth of grinding with the Icarus, so if you are 46k along, you have 19k XP to go. So there are two scenarios. 

First, you complete the 19k XP for the Jervis before you complete the 14k base XP which is earned via any T5+ ship. Then you already have the Jervis, so you get credit compensation for completing the 14k base XP Early Access Mission to get Jervis again.

Second, you complete the 14k base XP Early Access Mission, probably by playing other T5+ ships, before you complete the 19k XP grind in the Icarus to get Jervis. As soon as you get Jervis from the Early Access Mission, then your Icarus becomes Elite and you can not grind to Jervis a second time.

So, you want to complete the Jervis grind on Icarus, via flags & camo and/or FXP, BEFORE you get the 14k base XP done for the Jervis mission, so you can get a duplicate and get credits for the duplicate.

1 hour ago, axyarthur said:

Unfortunately, you seem to be incorrect as nothing in the RN event states that. If you have a UK DD and then complete the UK DD mission after getting the DD, then you get a duplicate and credits for the duplicate. Unless you are like the OP, where you are almost to the UK DD you get the mission for, you will probably get the Early Access Mission done before you can grind to the DD first. Or you FXP to the DD before you get the base XP to complete the mission.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/170444-psa-rn-event-sovereigns-guineas-missions-directives-stages-dates/

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts

I'm sitting on 853k "free" XP, and just did upped my XP on the Icarus to almost 49k, so I think it's worth spending a bit of that FXP to make sure I get the Jervis in port before I get bonus mission completed, I think.

[PVE]
Members
8,860 posts
7,257 battles
5 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I'm sitting on 853k "free" XP, and just did upped my XP on the Icarus to almost 49k, so I think it's worth spending a bit of that FXP to make sure I get the Jervis in port before I get bonus mission completed, I think.

Or grind Icarus and keep a close eye on the base XP Jervis mission. When it gets too close, FXP the rest.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,871 posts
13,382 battles

Why not just get the free Jervis?  You pay for the tech tree one and get credits back from the mission or you complete the mission and get a free Jervis anyway. 

What am I missing here?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts
1 hour ago, Camo68 said:

Why not just get the free Jervis?  You pay for the tech tree one and get credits back from the mission or you complete the mission and get a free Jervis anyway. 

What am I missing here?

If nothing else, I don't want to spend dubs to convert 50k or so XP on the Icarus to "free" XP.

[-PVE-]
Members
113 posts
9,108 battles

I think the one you get from the mission is fully upgraded, however, the one you grind you will need to buy the upgrades. Not sure which is cheaper.

[PVE]
Members
8,860 posts
7,257 battles
5 hours ago, Mykawa said:

I think the one you get from the mission is fully upgraded, however, the one you grind you will need to buy the upgrades. Not sure which is cheaper.

If you get the mission, the DD is fully researched and purchased. If you grind, you have to research and buy the upgrades.

Members
989 posts
5,724 battles

Camo68 is right:

14 hours ago, Camo68 said:

1. You can pay the credits at the end of the grind, but get the credits back when you get the duplicate.

2. Or bypass the paying and receiving of credits and get it via the missions.

Choice #2 has other benefits:

1. No need to use Free XP or spend real money to convert XP to Free XP

2. Research path modules already researched, purchased, and mounted if you get the ship via  the missions. This puts you ahead in grind time/Free XP, credits, and avoids the stock ship performance disadvantage.

3. You're free to play any T5+ ships you want during the mission grind. Otherwise, you're pretty much hog-tied to playing only the Icarus to "avoid" going over on mission base XP. But the only thing you're avoiding is coming out ahead.