Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

What to do with the Ovechkin Capt's????

62 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles

So I have all of them now; 10pt RU, 10pt US, 15pt bi-national RU/US.  The issues is I don't know what to do with them???? The 2 enhanced skills they gave these Ovechkin Capt's just don't work well with each other. I am struggling to understand why WG would give SE and EM as enhanced skills on a special Capt? EM is better suited to BB's and some Cruisers while SE is a DD skill and all but a waste on a BB or Cruiser. So it seems you waste one of his skills by using him no matter where you put him. You can use a skill that is useless basically on that ship type which wastes those points or not use a skill because the ship he is on won't benefit from it but in doing that you waste an enhanced skill. Seems like a no win situation.

I don't need the 10pt ones right now so they can sit in the reserves until I do but I have a use for the 15pt one. I could use him on my Iowa as the 15 pts is higher than the Capt I have on it now to save grinding but SE is just a complete waste on a BB so it makes no sense to do so. I also could use him on my Ognevoi where the 15pts would also be higher than what I have now. SE would be a good skill for the T8+ RU DD's BUT EM is a waste on them as they have 9-10 sec turret rotation. So EM is just a waste of 2 pts and I wouldn't use that which means I am sort of wasting an enhanced skill. I see no where to use him that both his skills can be taken advantage of???

Probably will go Ognevoi with him and take him up the line to T10 and just waste/not use EM. I sure wish they had put a little more thought into his skills so they worked together better. SE and EM just don't go together except maybe on an IJN DD.

What would you do or have you done with the bi-national #8?

EDIT - Tech tree ships here. I am not concerned about premiums as a primary use of the Capt's.

ka77IqJ.jpg

lWkiQMh.jpg

2SQIBdI.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
461
[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,257 posts
24,816 battles

They make great commanders for the Gremy!!

:Smile-_tongue:

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142
[INTEL]
Members
583 posts
7,358 battles
1 minute ago, Patton5150 said:

They make great commanders for the Gremy!!

:Smile-_tongue:

@AdmiralThunder  Well, you did ask what would you do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
603
[HYDRO]
Members
1,326 posts
3,668 battles

Leningrad potentially can use most of the bonuses of the commander. 

No idea on how the binational would work in USN ship.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
292
[SIDE]
Members
1,205 posts
8,657 battles

To me, obvious russian DD capt.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30
[BEER]
Members
100 posts
1,478 battles

Any destroyer with slower than normal guns, he's a good captain.

I'd also toss out he might be great for the Boise.   Boise has an odd-man out for its 2nd 3pt skill, normally I'd suggest Vigilance (superintendent is bad because you often can't even use the 4th heal, even if you have it, due to lack of healable health)....but Survival Expert might be okay on the Boise, since having more total health WOULD give you more health back (although not much).     

The Boise certainly benefits greatly from Expert Marksman though, tons.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,966
[PVE]
Members
8,889 posts
7,288 battles
17 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So I have all of them now; 10pt RU, 10pt US, 15pt bi-national RU/US.  The issues is I don't know what to do with them???? The 2 enhanced skills they gave these Ovechkin Capt's just don't work well with each other. I am struggling to understand why WG would give SE and EM as enhanced skills on a special Capt? EM is better suited to BB's and some Cruisers while SE is a DD skill and all but a waste on a BB or Cruiser. So it seems you waste one of his skills by using him no matter where you put him. You can use a skill that is useless basically on that ship type which wastes those points or not use a skill because the ship he is on won't benefit from it but in doing that you waste an enhanced skill. Seems like a no win situation.

I don't need the 10pt ones right now so they can sit in the reserves until I do but I have a use for the 15pt one. I could use him on my Iowa as the 15 pts is higher than the Capt I have on it now to save grinding but SE is just a complete waste on a BB so it makes no sense to do so. I also could use him on my Ognevoi where the 15pts would also be higher than what I have now. SE would be a good skill for the T8+ RU DD's BUT EM is a waste on them as they have 9-10 sec turret rotation. So EM is just a waste of 2 pts and I wouldn't use that which means I am sort of wasting an enhanced skill. I see no where to use him that both his skills can be taken advantage of???

Probably will go Ognevoi with him and take him up the line to T10 and just waste/not use EM. I sure wish they had put a little more thought into his skills so they worked together better. SE and EM just don't go together except maybe on an IJN DD.

What would you do or have you done with the bi-national #8?

ka77IqJ.jpg

lWkiQMh.jpg

2SQIBdI.jpg

The T5 to T8 RU DDs can use EM as thier guns are a little slow for knife fighting and in co-op it is harder to dictate range than in PvP. I would put the RU 10pt & 15pt captains on RU DDs. Even Tashkent could use a little EM help.

 

For the US 10 pt captain, SE of +400hp a tier is very good and EM is pretty useless though. The Boise idea below has merit I think.

 

 

7 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Any destroyer with slower than normal guns, he's a good captain.

I'd also toss out he might be great for the Boise.   Boise has an odd-man out for its 2nd 3pt skill, normally I'd suggest Vigilance (superintendent is bad because you often can't even use the 4th heal, even if you have it, due to lack of healable health)....but Survival Expert might be okay on the Boise, since having more total health WOULD give you more health back (although not much).     

The Boise certainly benefits greatly from Expert Marksman though, tons.

Interesting idea. I have my 10 pt Helena captain slated to be the primary Boise captain, but this is interesting.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles

I decided for now to put the 15pt #8 on Ognevoi. I can use him on Ognevoi and then move him up the line as I go to T10 and then also use him on  my premium RU (3) and US (4) DD's. Just not going to use EM. Seems to be the best overall use of him due to that enhanced SE skill I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The T5 to T8 RU DDs can use EM as thier guns are a little slow for knife fighting and in co-op it is harder to dictate range than in PvP. I would put the RU 10pt & 15pt captains on RU DDs. Even Tashkent could use a little EM help.

 

For the US 10 pt captain, SE of +400hp a tier is very good and EM is pretty useless though. The Boise idea below has merit I think.

 

 

Interesting idea. I have my 10 pt Helena captain slated to be the primary Boise captain, but this is interesting.

As I said above I put him on Ognevoi so I can use him there and up to T10 (EM is a waste on this side of the RU DD line though as rotation speed is 9-10 sec for T8+). I can also then use him in the 7 premium DD's I have between RU and US. I just will ignore EM.

Don't have Boise. Just Helena.

The 10pt Capt's will sit in reserves for now.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,729
[ARGSY]
Members
5,819 posts
3,974 battles

I'm thinking an extra 2400 (6 x 400) HP can't hurt the Pensacola (any extra HP can't hurt the Pensacola, LOL), and any good Pensa captain wants his turrets to turn faster. I like my Pensacola in co-op.

Other than that... I don't know how much help the Gnevny turret buff has been, but knowing what I do about those ships through owning the Fushun and Anshan, the Russian one seems a logical choice for Gnevny. The only Russian ships I have at the moment, though, are the Bogatyr and the Varyag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
326 posts
31 battles
30 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So I have all of them now; 10pt RU, 10pt US, 15pt bi-national RU/US.  The issues is I don't know what to do with them???? The 2 enhanced skills they gave these Ovechkin Capt's just don't work well with each other. I am struggling to understand why WG would give SE and EM as enhanced skills on a special Capt? EM is better suited to BB's and some Cruisers while SE is a DD skill and all but a waste on a BB or Cruiser. So it seems you waste one of his skills by using him no matter where you put him. You can use a skill that is useless basically on that ship type which wastes those points or not use a skill because the ship he is on won't benefit from it but in doing that you waste an enhanced skill. Seems like a no win situation.

I don't need the 10pt ones right now so they can sit in the reserves until I do but I have a use for the 15pt one. I could use him on my Iowa as the 15 pts is higher than the Capt I have on it now to save grinding but SE is just a complete waste on a BB so it makes no sense to do so. I also could use him on my Ognevoi where the 15pts would also be higher than what I have now. SE would be a good skill for the T8+ RU DD's BUT EM is a waste on them as they have 9-10 sec turret rotation. So EM is just a waste of 2 pts and I wouldn't use that which means I am sort of wasting an enhanced skill. I see no where to use him that both his skills can be taken advantage of???

Probably will go Ognevoi with him and take him up the line to T10 and just waste/not use EM. I sure wish they had put a little more thought into his skills so they worked together better. SE and EM just don't go together except maybe on an IJN DD.

What would you do or have you done with the bi-national #8?

EDIT - Tech tree ships here. I don't want to assign him to a premium.

ka77IqJ.jpg

lWkiQMh.jpg

2SQIBdI.jpg

How did you get them? I clicked the Participate and it says I am participating in the offer but I do not see any Ovechkin missions anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm thinking an extra 2400 (6 x 400) HP can't hurt the Pensacola (any extra HP can't hurt the Pensacola, LOL), and any good Pensa captain wants his turrets to turn faster. I like my Pensacola in co-op.

Other than that... I don't know how much help the Gnevny turret buff has been, but knowing what I do about those ships through owning the Fushun and Anshan, the Russian one seems a logical choice for Gnevny. The only Russian ships I have at the moment, though, are the Bogatyr and the Varyag.

Yeah, Pensacola is one of those few Cruisers I was talking about that can benefit from both SE and EM. But I just can't put a special Capt on Pepsi. Just seems wrong LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145
[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
416 posts
12,649 battles
1 minute ago, Theokolese said:

How did you get them? I clicked the Participate and it says I am participating in the offer but I do not see any Ovechkin missions anywhere?

Check your personal missions.  If you do not see it, submit a ticket.  There was a bug, that has since been corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,534
[HINON]
Supertester
18,961 posts
12,479 battles
35 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't want to assign him to a premium.

You couldn't if you tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles
10 minutes ago, Theokolese said:

How did you get them? I clicked the Participate and it says I am participating in the offer but I do not see any Ovechkin missions anywhere?

If you are one of the players, like I was, that clicked the participate button but never received the missions you have to file a ticket with support so they can manually activate it for you. There was a bug and it has to be done manually on their end to fix it. Use this link below as it is the one Gneisenau013 gave and should get you the fastest fix. It took 3 days for mine to get fixed but for others 8-15 minutes so YMMV...

https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/help/17239/17256/17261/17262/

Also, you need to take a screenshot of the Ovechkin event info page on the WOWS site that shows where the button would be that indicates you are already participating as well as screenshots from your port showing you don't have the Ovechkin mission under personal missions (you have to show all of the ones you do have so they know it isn't in there - I had like 4 screenshots of PM's to get them all as I have a butt load of the T10 legendary modules missions going LOL).

Good luck with it.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

You couldn't if you tried.

True now that you mention it. Fixed it.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,477 battles
9 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Without reading through all the posts... don't some of the Russian DDs have glacial turrets, as far as DDs go?

Only the lower/mid tier ones, where SE isn’t as worthwhile. 

Mine is gonna be a Groz captain. 

Edited by HazardDrake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles
4 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Only the lower/mid tier ones, where SE isn’t as worthwhile. 

Mine is gonna be a Groz captain. 

Yeah my bi-national #8 will eventually wind up on Grozovoi too I guess. Not as interested in the gun boat side of the RU DD's. Only at Ognevoi right now on the torp boat DD side so he is there to be moved up as I go to T10 and Grozovoi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
561
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,802 posts
7 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Only the lower/mid tier ones, where SE isn’t as worthwhile. 

Mine is gonna be a Groz captain. 

So by the time there's enough of a tier multiplier for SE to be useful, they've been cured of their glacieritis... got it.

(Russian DDs... one of the branches I've not pushed up yet.  My DD push has been US and German.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,295
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,754 posts
9,477 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So by the time there's enough of a tier multiplier for SE to be useful, they've been cured of their glacieritis... got it.

The Soviet’s stole the formula for WD-40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,075
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,425 posts
10,186 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So by the time there's enough of a tier multiplier for SE to be useful, they've been cured of their glacieritis... got it.

(Russian DDs... one of the branches I've not pushed up yet.  My DD push has been US and German.)

 

RU DD's T2-T7 all have 18.6 sec turret rotation.

The line splits at T8 with a torp boat side and a gun boat side. I have gone up the torp boat side and am at T8 Ognevoi. On this side...

  • T8 - 9 sec
  • T9 - 9 sec
  • T10 - 10 sec

On the gun boat side you retain that 18.6 sec until you get to T10...

  • T8 - 18.6 sec
  • T9 - 18.6 sec
  • T10 - 9 sec

So if you wanted to use Ovechkin in an RU DD I would say it would be most useful around T7 (actually benefit from SE some) and then T8 and T9 on the gun boat side so that EM helps. T8+ on the torp side and then T10 on the gun boat side EM is not needed and will do little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,052
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,198 posts
8,798 battles

Get two more and you will have a hockey team. :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×