You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Maritime Monday - Preferred Ammunition

16 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,790 battles

Image result for navy gun crew loading

*pictured - HMS Malaya 6" casemate gun crew during live fire operations in May 1943*

What is your preferred main battery ammunition type when you join your fleet in battle?

Regardless of the situation or the class of ship, every captain has their go-to for ammunition types.

This ammunition type is used more than 70% of the time and constitutes most of the damage inflicted on enemy vessels on your service record.

Armor piercing or high explosive, what is loaded in your breach at the start the battle in and tend stay with for most of the battle?

"One hundred rounds do not constitute fire power. One hit constitutes fire power." - Merritt Edson, US Marine Corps

#maritimemonday

#anchorsaweigh

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,224 posts
8,407 battles

I don't know 'bout all y'all, but I get a kick out of shooting HE in BBs :cap_like:

• Cool 2

[MLPVA]
Members
121 posts
2,775 battles
Just now, pikohan said:

I don't know 'bout all y'all, but I get a kick out of shooting HE in BBs :cap_like:

Delet this.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,505 posts
7,383 battles

I load HE at the start regardless of ship type, with the assumption we will see (and shoot at) DDs first.

If I see a BB, I set it on fire and then switch to AP. If I see a CA, I switch to AP right away. 

Obviously, it's nation and even ship specific, but that's the general idea..

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
748 posts
7,892 battles

Depends on the ship.

BBs will have AP loaded unless there's a specific reason for loading HE.

Cruisers and DDs are the opposite. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,915 battles
2 minutes ago, OtterWolf said:

If I see a CA, I switch to AP right away. 

If the reload is the same either way, why not just send what you've got loaded at the cruiser and get the early damage in?  (Serious question, no snark.)

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,577 posts
3,915 battles

@Gneisenau013:

35 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Regardless of the situation or the class of ship, every captain has their go-to for ammunition types.

This ammunition type is used more than 70% of the time and constitutes most of the damage inflicted on enemy vessels on your service record.

Where do I find this information? 

I play all the surface classes (Random battles: 1104 cruiser, 949 battleship, 763 destroyer) and change ammunition types for each class as appropriate to the target I'm firing on to the best of my ability.  I find it hard to believe I would clock in at 70% or more usage of one of the types. 

On the other hand (aside from having different fingers), cruisers generally have more guns with a higher rate of fire and they do more reliable work vs. both DD's and BB's with HE than with AP.  So I guess it is a distinct possibility, looking at my overall service record.  I'd like to be able to find that information now that you've mentioned it. 

But I certainly don't reach for HE as default when I'm driving a battleship.  If my HE usage in battleships - RN BB's aside - was as much as 5% (1 salvo in 20), I'd be very surprised.  For me the issue is completely regarding the situation and class of ship.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,790 battles
1 minute ago, Fishrokk said:

@Gneisenau013:

Where do I find this information? 

I play all the surface classes (Random battles: 1104 cruiser, 949 battleship, 763 destroyer) and change ammunition types for each class as appropriate to the target I'm firing on to the best of my ability.  I find it hard to believe I would clock in at 70% or more usage of one of the types. 

On the other hand (aside from having different fingers), cruisers generally have more guns with a higher rate of fire and they do more reliable work vs. both DD's and BB's with HE than with AP.  So I guess it is a distinct possibility, looking at my overall service record.  I'd like to be able to find that information now that you've mentioned it. 

But I certainly don't reach for HE as default when I'm driving a battleship.  If my HE usage in battleships - RN BB's aside - was as much as 5% (1 salvo in 20), I'd be very surprised.  For me the issue is completely regarding the situation and class of ship.

Ahoy!

The 70% is just a round number for the ammo type you use more than half of the time.

It could be more than 50% of the time which ammo type you fire, but I just chose 70% as a general number 

Thanks for getting clarification!

#anchorsaweigh

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,505 posts
7,383 battles
55 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

If the reload is the same either way, why not just send what you've got loaded at the cruiser and get the early damage in?  (Serious question, no snark.)

Depends on the situation, sometimes i do that...  Sometimes my gut instinct says he's going to get away, or if I anticipate an upcoming broadside situation, I want my AP to maximize damage.

Another thing I forgot to mention... If my long-range AP is bouncing, I switch to HE regardless of ship type.

• Cool 2

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,080 battles

I will almost always load AP for any of my BB in just about any situation.

Cruisers will almost always be HE, with the exception of Prinz Eugen, which I kind of treat as a diet BB, and almost exclusively fire AP (also because her HE sucks). But, given the chance, I will gladly switch to some AP to lay some whup-azz on a broadside CL/CA, and if I have 203's maybe some close-range BB as well.

DD is always HE. AP is just way to inconsistent with penetration for me.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles

RN BB's HE

Other BB's AP

CA's AP

CL's HE

DD's HE

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
375 posts
3,497 battles

I always have AP loaded in Battleships, except when I get those missions where it's like " Damage or Knockout X Number of Modules" or "Start X Number of Fires". Then I make the rare switch to HE.

HE is good for the LoLs sometimes, but nothing beats hitting another ship with a shell that basically amounts to a small car.

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,730 battles
2 hours ago, OtterWolf said:

I load HE at the start regardless of ship type, with the assumption we will see (and shoot at) DDs first.

If I see a BB, I set it on fire and then switch to AP. If I see a CA, I switch to AP right away. 

Obviously, it's nation and even ship specific, but that's the general idea..

I pretty much echo this.  May decide to start with AP loaded in BBs if very few DDs, but often my first salvo is HE for this reason regardless of the ship I am sailing.

1 hour ago, Fishrokk said:

I'm interpreting what he said the way I do it...I almost never reload ammo type if I am already loaded and have a target lined up (exception would be if I think I can make the switch without losing the shot, like a grounded broadside cruiser and I'm not detected yet). 

What I do (and what I interpreted this response as too) is trigger the ammo change on the reload and fire what you have loaded. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles

For all BBs I use AP except Nelson and Monarch

All Cruisers except Graf Spee use HE  the most with some AP usage, but Graf Spee uses almost entirely AP.

DDs use HE with some AP.

Torpedoes are used when ever I can possibly get the chance an as often as I can fire them off if there are plenty of opportunities in a battle.

(Anticipating future game additions) Subs will be favoring Torpedoes...

And my cruisers and DDs that carry Depth Charges will be using those a lot when subs get added to the normal battles.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles

For Cruisers, unless it's RN CL, HE most of the time unless I see opportunity ahead of time for a good AP salvo.  I lump Tech Tree RN BBs in my Cruiser shell use category.

For BBs, specifically Non-RN BBs, it's AP all the time except for specific situations, i.e. another BB that isn't showing sides.  Do not underestimate what a Montana can do to another BB's face with a 12-gun HE salvo if they're bow on / angled.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
148 posts
5,919 battles

HE in everything except SOME BBs - French and Brit BBs are HE, everyone else is AP (unless up-tiered and facing angled BBs or German BBs)

• Cool 1