You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
05Chopp

Ranked Sprint Enjoyed, Thanks Wargaming!

21 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,575 battles

Enjoyed Ranked for the 1st time since I Joined Warships(sept 2016) just had to say Thanks Wargaming....did it cater to(self) the Average Player(and some Unicorns), YES! - nevertheless, totally enjoyable and comfortable, the irrevocable's saved me from the frustrating yo-yo effect and allowed me to rank 1- Also I wanted to add catering to 80-90% of Your Player Base is a smart move....excellent work Ladies and Gents. Hope to See it again moving thru all tiers.....Any thoughts Captains?

(satisfied customer)

• Cool 2

[SEC_8]
Members
131 posts
2,965 battles

I agree 100%!!!  First time I have actually enjoyed ranked- ranked was actually fun and less stressful.  Having hard stops (levels that prevent you from sliding back to far) makes ranked so much more manageable!  I can only hope that the next real season will see frequent ranks with hard stops so I don't make it up to rank 6 then slide back to rank 11...

I know we will see more people reach rank 1, and to be honest I think that is a GREAT THING, as the more people that actually enjoy ranking UP,  the more people will actually participate all the way through!

[SF-3]
Members
1,426 posts
7,867 battles

It is actually reasonably fun, this is, imo, 100% because of the irrevocable ranks. I have noticed a lot of really bad players, however, in 6v6 its much easier to carry a win. Only played a few games with a div and that makes it even easier / more fun. Also, the lack of yo-yo really lowers the stress, so you get a couple of bad games, your not falling from R3 to R8 like previous seasons. That being said, its a very interesting experiment, easier, lower stressed ranked, but the rewards feel like they are in line with the amount of effort required.

Ps I haven't ranked out yet, maybe R4?

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
144 posts
13,439 battles
10 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

That being said, its a very interesting experiment, easier, lower stressed ranked, but the rewards feel like they are in line with the amount of effort required.

I agree. I've seen a forum thread complaining about the low rewards for Ranked Sprint but I think they are in line with the format.

I hope the feedback from the community is positive enough to convince WG to make Ranked Sprint a regular event. It's a refreshing change from the often frustrating and salty regular Ranked seasons.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,022 posts
9,182 battles

I agree as well. Felt more like an achievable mission series. Was nice to play.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,322 posts
9,383 battles

Lowest stress and maximum fun at tier 5.. Face it.. CVs are not overpowered, There is no Radar. And BBs don't have the range for long-distance sniping. The 'whoops' moments are not fatal. There is plenty of wiggle to get out of a poor choice in positioning.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,162 battles

As Kevs02 remarked, 6 v 6 on smaller maps and at tier 5 allow for carrying even when you have a tater team.  I find it much less stressful and a lot more fun, especially playing ships I haven't touched in a while.  The rewards are very fair based on how easy it is to rank up - 8/8 for WG for Sprint 1.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

Was nice to play.  But the rewards were really not motivating in any way.  I just felt compelled to finish it once I started.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
46 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

It is actually reasonably fun, this is, imo, 100% because of the irrevocable ranks. I have noticed a lot of really bad players, however, in 6v6 its much easier to carry a win. Only played a few games with a div and that makes it even easier / more fun. Also, the lack of yo-yo really lowers the stress, so you get a couple of bad games, your not falling from R3 to R8 like previous seasons. That being said, its a very interesting experiment, easier, lower stressed ranked, but the rewards feel like they are in line with the amount of effort required.

Ps I haven't ranked out yet, maybe R4?

It's also easier to carry a team when the teams are smaller and when there are so many bad players.  If you're in a stealthy torp DD and know what you're doing and are good at it, you can really take advantage of weak BB players who will just sail in straight lines.  In my final battle of Ranked Sprint last night, I managed to Dev Strike 2 enemy BBs that just sailed straight into my torpedoes, la-la-la-la-la-boomboomboomboom-sunk.

Also, I agree 100% about the irrevocable ranks.  One thing that I noticed was that you didn't see as many divisions as one might have predicted.  I think that the reality is that the great majority of people clamoring for divisions in ranked were really good players who didn't like having their fates tied to a bunch of random solo players, and wanted to be able to tip the scales by divving up with other really good players.  Personally, to me this sounds suspiciously like a rather self-entitled attitude (i.e. "I deserve to win because I'm a good player, so let me div up with another good player so it can be made so.").  That said, I did div up with a clan mate last night for a pretty fair number of battles.  But to be fair, I did it because he was looking for a div mate, not me.  I'd have been ok playing solo.  But I wanted to help out a fellow clan mate, so I divved up with him and on the whole we did pretty well.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
6 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

We need some steel for the sprint series as rewards.

Honestly, it'd have to be rather low, like maybe 500 or 1000.  It's not like Ranked Sprint is all that difficult.  But it was very fun.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

Another thing I wanted to bring up for any future ranked events in the same format:

Having irrevocable rank in "final" league (as in league leading into rank 1, i.e. rank 3 this sprint season) in combination with the rule to match division with division can result in two divisions sync dropping with one of them playing to lose so the other division very quickly advances to rank 1.  You can rig the ranked to rank out entire clan in the matter of hours in this way.  Regular ranked can not be manipulated in this way, you could theoretically sync drop CVs but it will only work for leagues with irrevocable ranks in them.

[RED]
[RED]
Members
33 posts
8,660 battles
15 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, it'd have to be rather low, like maybe 500 or 1000.  It's not like Ranked Sprint is all that difficult.  But it was very fun.

Would have been happy with 500 or 1000 steel.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
1 hour ago, custer_14 said:

Would have been happy with 500 or 1000 steel.

Maybe in the future, if Ranked Sprint becomes a thing, we might see small steel rewards.  Hell, I really wish that the current coal reward had been larger.  Right now, it's 5k coal.  But if you get coal out of a supercontainer, you get 15k coal.  Seems to me that ranking out in Ranked Sprint ought to be worth as much as supercontainer coal.  But maybe that's just me.

[SEC_8]
Members
131 posts
2,965 battles

I really hope they pull the good things from this ranked sprint and implement them in the regular ranked seasons!  This is so much more enjoyable and less stressful!

Members
5 posts
3,281 battles

Tier 5 Ranked was a horrible idea. Players with less than 2000 games under their belt have no business playing; not to mention the wallet warriors with 300 games. I have given up. Waiting until tier 8 ranked starts. The stupidity is painful and demoralizing.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
5 hours ago, R005t3r said:

Tier 5 Ranked was a horrible idea. Players with less than 2000 games under their belt have no business playing.....

Actually, if you have a T5 ship, you have business playing.

It's T5 and it's Ranked ffs. What were you expecting? Coordinated and competitive gameplay?

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

Overall, I like the Sprint concept in general. If I understood Mejash correctly on his live Twitch steam last night, a Sprint version of Clan Battles might also become a thing in the future. I'd like to see that.

• Cool 1

[-S-R-]
Members
314 posts
7,087 battles

On the flip side, I have found this sprint season to be extremely frustrating.  I have ranked out twice in a row, the last time in the Shima with a 57+% win rate.  This sprint, I can't seem to get past Rank 5.  It's not like I've hit a skill wall or anything.  

Members
76 posts
802 battles

I really enjoy the season, though I probably won't play much more of it. The set up was fun, I'd just like more rewards instead of boring flags to keep a sense of progress vs continuing to progress my favorite lines.

6v6 is a lot of fun, though, and feels more tactical. If the coal reward was bigger I'd probably be more interested in attaining first rank which would just require some perseverance.

Edited by Tanuvein