Sign in to follow this  
TheURLGuy

Let’s Talk About "Naval Nonsense - Comics"

15 comments in this topic

[WGA]
WG Staff
112 posts
694 battles

This is your one-stop shop to discuss all things Naval Nonsense and ask questions for the creators! 

Read all strips here!

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles

The series are a pure delight everytime I find one. Finally a one-stop-shop to read them all! I am very much rejoiced.

I wonder how far the series can go, and where does this little naval mischief may lead. Would they become humously informative or more and more into the realm of pure satire?

Either way, I would love these strips and take every last one wholesale. Gib us more!

• Cool 3

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
805 posts
5,795 battles
3 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

The series are a pure delight everytime I find one. Finally a one-stop-shop to read them all! I am very much rejoiced.

I wonder how far the series can go, and where does this little naval mischief may lead. Would they become humously informative or more and more into the realm of pure satire?

Either way, I would love these strips and take every last one wholesale. Gib us more!

https://imgflip.com/i/2koyhf

#anchorsaweigh

[WGA]
WG Staff
112 posts
694 battles
3 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

This first "season" of comics had us experimenting a lot. Do readers like mechanics-based humor or can we test the waters with purely character-driven jokes and arcs?

There's definitely some stuff that changed based on reader feedback. For example, the anime stuff was originally meant to be a one-off gag in strip #6, but the overwhelming response to Ship-Girl Monaghan inspired us to introduce more anime-themed shenanigans and expand the roster of characters. 

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,674 battles
2 hours ago, TheURLGuy said:

As of currently, I find the strips striking a perfect balance between game relevance and satire. However I do recognize the two original characters Capt. Salty McGraw and Ens. Tate R. Smith seems to sail battleships or make battleship related content only, particularly the wyoming. Any plans to expand their little fleet of mischief? 

Would like to see them sail omaha for the first time, they are going to spend a looooong time on that ship wreck island :cap_haloween:

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,416 posts
4,311 battles

So Wargaming when are you going to give us the Naval Nonsense crew as unique voiced commanders?

I want all of them, and I'll gladly give you my money.

[WGA]
WG Staff
112 posts
694 battles
20 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

However I do recognize the two original characters Capt. Salty McGraw and Ens. Tate R. Smith seems to sail battleships or make battleship related content only, particularly the wyoming. Any plans to expand their little fleet of mischief? 

Part of the initial planning for the comic was setting some character "rules" to follow so the series has a stronger sense of character and consistency (instead of us tossing out a Jokes of the Week with no connective tissue). One of those rules was "McGraw sails only in US battleships" -- this narrow preference is meant to reinforce the "set in his ways" aspect of his personality that's directly represented by his distaste for...uh...certain aesthetic options in the game. 

However, this has come back to bite us by limiting what game mechanics we can riff on. Fortunately, the cast and world of the comic have been gradually expanding, allowing us to riff on more classes in the future. There's also story potential in exploring what it'd take for McGraw to venture out of his comfort zone and allow us to "break" the aforementioned rule. 

• Funny 2

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
805 posts
5,795 battles
3 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

So Wargaming when are you going to give us the Naval Nonsense crew as unique voiced commanders?

I want all of them, and I'll gladly give you my money.

Great to hear that there is an interest in the Naval Nonsense being integrated into our game content!

I'll be sure to pass this along!

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,199 posts
2,029 battles

'comic-as-you-are'

dSkvqKG.gif

vnVG0EC.gif

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,221 posts
6,433 battles

I love that you implemented ships that were not yet represented by other shipgirl orientated games, like Z-39 and Monaghan.

Keep them coming, that‘s all that needs to be said. Also I second the request for them being implement as unique commanders.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
WG Staff
112 posts
694 battles
On 10/24/2018 at 1:45 AM, SireneRacker said:

I love that you implemented ships that were not yet represented by other shipgirl orientated games, like Z-39 and Monaghan.

I would be lying if I said part of our process didn't consist of Googling ship names to make sure we weren't stepping on the toes of other ship-girl titles. 

On 10/24/2018 at 6:50 AM, RyuuohD_NA said:

Shipgirl Monaghan and Z-39 captains in-game when?

I have little input or knowledge regarding forthcoming game features. However,  the more people demand them, the stronger the case will be. 

• Cool 3

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,394 posts
42 minutes ago, TheURLGuy said:

I would be lying if I said part of our process didn't consist of Googling ship names to make sure we weren't stepping on the toes of other ship-girl titles. 

I have little input or knowledge regarding forthcoming game features. However,  the more people demand them, the stronger the case will be. 

Sign in to follow this