You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

I Have to Say the Aspect I Liked Best

18 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts

About German  DD's  up until Tier 5  when WG   did away with this ability:Smile-angry::Smile_facepalm: Was the Front Launch Torpedos  I suppose that ability made Too Much  Sense:Smile_sceptic::Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[KAPPA]
Members
164 posts
4,241 battles

Isn't that more due to historical reasons, however? I mean, unless they actually did have them on said ships. I'm saying this with little knowledge of history, but I generally assume the reasons for things like that to revolve around the way the actual ships were. Such as US CAs losing their torps.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts
2 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Isn't that more due to historical reasons, however? I mean, unless they actually did have them on said ships. I'm saying this with little knowledge of history, but I generally assume the reasons for things like that to revolve around the way the actual ships were. Such as US CAs losing their torps.

Apparently they did work after all the PT Boats had the same ability,   No I believe they decided to make single launch an RN  Exclusive,    Problem with that theory is even RN  Boats don't fire forward just single launch

• Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
500 posts
4,158 battles

This mirrors history, the T3 and T4 German DDs were fleet torpedo boats that had those forward mounts. The later fleet torpedo boats and destroyers did not, at least not the ones that Wargaming choose to include in the game.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,600 posts
4,981 battles

Yeah PT boats and DD are entirely different. Most ships moved away from front fire torpedo tubes do to less effectiveness for battle. Most navys moved towards using torpedoes in larger spreads to break up an enemy formation or cause them to keep there distance. It also made more sense for the screening DDs to launch them in a broadside formation so they can also use smoke to cover the main body.

[MEIST]
Members
800 posts
2,964 battles
5 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

About German  DD's  up until Tier 5  when WG   did away with this ability:Smile-angry::Smile_facepalm: Was the Front Launch Torpedos  I suppose that ability made Too Much  Sense:Smile_sceptic::Smile_sad:

WG didn't get rid of it. the Kreigsmarine got rid of it.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles

Of course, IRL, any DD (or cruiser) could have done a "front launch" (or "rear launch") by setting the gyros of the torps to needed heading, launching and letting the torps turn to the proper course. A little more challenging but doable. Subs did it all the time so they didn't have to have the bow lined up exactly. More dangerous for the launching ship because the torp speeds were closer to your speed (no 60 kt torps!) and you wouldn't want to have the torp overcorrect and come back at you. IRL, torps sometimes went where they wanted to, not where you aimed them (sort of like all in-game secondaries and my French BB main guns) so you wanted to have a big safety factor when launching them.

WG limits torp arcs to what the mounts will do but as compensation the torps all make near perfect runs (mostly nice even fans, no torp going off in a some strange direction, the sigma and dispersion on torps must be better than all those Russian rail-guns). Fact of the game. Not going to change.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts
6 hours ago, Lonewolfpj said:

Yeah PT boats and DD are entirely different. Most ships moved away from front fire torpedo tubes do to less effectiveness for battle. Most navys moved towards using torpedoes in larger spreads to break up an enemy formation or cause them to keep there distance. It also made more sense for the screening DDs to launch them in a broadside formation so they can also use smoke to cover the main body.

:Smile_great:

9 hours ago, MasterDiggs said:

This mirrors history, the T3 and T4 German DDs were fleet torpedo boats that had those forward mounts. The later fleet torpedo boats and destroyers did not, at least not the ones that Wargaming choose to include in the game.

3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Of course, IRL, any DD (or cruiser) could have done a "front launch" (or "rear launch") by setting the gyros of the torps to needed heading, launching and letting the torps turn to the proper course. A little more challenging but doable. Subs did it all the time so they didn't have to have the bow lined up exactly. More dangerous for the launching ship because the torp speeds were closer to your speed (no 60 kt torps!) and you wouldn't want to have the torp overcorrect and come back at you. IRL, torps sometimes went where they wanted to, not where you aimed them (sort of like all in-game secondaries and my French BB main guns) so you wanted to have a big safety factor when launching them.

WG limits torp arcs to what the mounts will do but as compensation the torps all make near perfect runs (mostly nice even fans, no torp going off in a some strange direction, the sigma and dispersion on torps must be better than all those Russian rail-guns). Fact of the game. Not going to change.

:Smile_great:So all of  you are Saying/Claimi9ng  that whilst the RN  doing Single drop torps is OK having to turn and Present Your Broadside Isn't the reason  VS  slowing down  maybe slowing down and dropping  single torps one at time isn't sometimes?..................................................................:Smile_sceptic:

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
7 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

So all of  you are Saying/Claimi9ng  that whilst the RN  doing Single drop torps is OK having to turn and Present Your Broadside Isn't the reason  VS  slowing down  maybe slowing down and dropping  single torps one at time isn't sometimes?

The single torp options is nice but I find I still fire the whole mount most of the time because it takes too long to single launch and I have to get back to dodging and shooting guns. Still when you have smoke or stealth and a BB is charging at you...:Smile_trollface:

Giving the IJN (think Shimakaze) single launch would be a bit OP.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts
13 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

The single torp options is nice but I find I still fire the whole mount most of the time because it takes too long to single launch and I have to get back to dodging and shooting guns. Still when you have smoke or stealth and a BB is charging at you...:Smile_trollface:

Giving the IJN (think Shimakaze) single launch would be a bit OP.

Wasn't Talking about  IJN  were  two Nations only  RN  and Germany  and  as  far as I  can tell the only ones that have single drop torps even if Germany only had it for 3 tiers:Smile_facepalm::Smile_sad:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
47 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Wasn't Talking about  IJN  were  two Nations only  RN  and Germany  and  as  far as I  can tell the only ones that have single drop torps even if Germany only had it for 3 tiers

Totally agree just illustrating why single torp fire is a limited gimmick.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts
3 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Totally agree just illustrating why single torp fire is a limited gimmick.

For the RN  yes(Weak) for the German DD's not as much tho still  not OP:Smile_great:  But there once again  Russian Bias  shows it's face 

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

But there once again  Russian Bias  shows it's face 

Hmm...give Okhotnik single fire. First tubes would be reloaded by the time you fire the last one!:Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts
21 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Hmm...give Okhotnik single fire. First tubes would be reloaded by the time you fire the last one!:Smile_veryhappy:

You mean like Omaha 5.49 Torps VS  Murmansk 8.01?   Something like that?    It  does pop up again and again(and I believe Okhotnik was even better at one time)

[CVA16]
Members
2,195 posts
9,666 battles
18 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

You mean like Omaha 5.49 Torps VS  Murmansk 8.01?  

Very Obvious. However, in the current ranked battle Omaha and Murmansk are about tied in WR with the Russian hand-me-down doing about 20% more damage.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,951 posts
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

:Smile_great:OTH  we have the   Gremyashchy

17 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Very Obvious. However, in the current ranked battle Omaha and Murmansk are about tied in WR with the Russian hand-me-down doing about 20% more damage.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,681 posts
7,503 battles
24 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I’ve got about 2600 games in Murmansk but stopped playing it in Ranked because of its fragile nature and close quarter fighting that usually happens there .. got tired of hitting a B.B. over and over only to be deleted by the close in fighting 

[KAPPA]
Members
164 posts
4,241 battles
5 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Wasn't Talking about  IJN  were  two Nations only  RN  and Germany  and  as  far as I  can tell the only ones that have single drop torps even if Germany only had it for 3 tiers:Smile_facepalm::Smile_sad:

Germany had single launch torps at those tiers because they had single tubes on the front, though. It's the same reason Mutsu and Smith can single launch, as their tubes aren't in sets, but just a single one in each hardpoint. You fire everything from each individual hardpoint, thus allowing single launch, but disallowing anything but single launch (for those particular tubes) as well.