You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tankpew

Matchmaking Issue: Ships with locked abilities matched against higher tier unlocked ones.

12 comments in this topic

[NWFLT]
Members
29 posts
337 battles

Hello,

I would like to suggest that there be some kind of matchmaking separation between tiers that have programatically had their core controls removed, versus those that haven't. I understand the reasons why the lower tier CVs are not allowed to manual strafe or drop, and have no problem with it, as it tries to prevent clubbin.

The same clubbin it attempts to prevent, still happens when tier 4/5 CVs are matched against 6+  On top of having your hands tied against opposing CVs that just strafe your fighters to pieces, you then get further destroyed in chat, as both teams claim you are a bad CV. In addition, the higher level unlocked CV, also has the advantage of higher level planes with more damage.

Not sure if there are similar situations across other models and tiers, but I was wondering if it would be possible to not match tiers that have been limited in this manner, against those that have not.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles

This was warned about when they were pulling manual abilities from the Tier IV-V CVs.  It's not an issue for Tier IV CVs (unless they ever revert to 0 MM tier protection again like it used to).  Tier IV CVs don't see Tier VI.  But for the Tier V ones, it's a problem.  Something like VI Independence can wipe the floor with a Tier V CV.

There are no other ship types in the game where a key basic form of control is blocked.  Only Tier IV-V CVs.  There's no going around it and they'll have to get clubbed hard by the VI CVs.

• Cool 4

[NWFLT]
Members
29 posts
337 battles

Thank you for the info! I'm just going to deal with it like you suggested, although I don't think it would be very hard to implement a check server-side, that would keep the two tier ranges separate when matchmaking.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
2 hours ago, tankpew said:

Thank you for the info! I'm just going to deal with it like you suggested, although I don't think it would be very hard to implement a check server-side, that would keep the two tier ranges separate when matchmaking.

The Tier V grind isn't bad, you'll be out of it soon enough.  Tier VI is where your schooling begins though.  Do what you can to adapt to the new forms of control with Manual Attack access in Tier VI, but don't be distressed if you haven't gotten it down pat.  The CV Revamp is coming and it will fundamentally change how the ships play.  While you're still grinding with what you have, learn more of what your CV should be doing for a match.  The controls of CV play will change, but I'd like to think the duties remain the same for a CV post-revamp.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,855 posts
3,984 battles
38 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'd like to think the duties remain the same for a CV post-revamp.

The difference is that with only one air group aloft in the rework, scouting and attack will be inextricably linked. The fine art will be making up your own mind and acting appropriately regarding which enemy surface ships you need to kill first to make the most difference to the surface battle. It might not always be the one some F-key spammer is screaming at you to attack.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I hate to admit it but tier v against tier vi is the only real opportunity for you to learn what the strafe looks like and how to defend against it. 

Its not going to change any time soon so get the most out of it that you can since as another mentioned tier vi is where hints become very unforgiving. 

[NWFLT]
Members
29 posts
337 battles
10 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

Its not going to change any time soon

It was just a suggestion, and you never know.

10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The Tier V grind isn't bad

In this case, I needed to keep playing the tier V ship in order to rank up my commander to where he has 10 points. This was so I could go into my ranked games with the best perks possible.

When I try to do this, however, I keep being placed against tier VIs.

[NWFLT]
Members
29 posts
337 battles
10 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

I hate to admit it but tier v against tier vi is the only real opportunity for you to learn what the strafe looks like and how to defend against it. 

I respectfully have to disagree. I think it just creates frustration due to your opponent having access to mechanics that you have locked.

You don't learn much if you are the fish getting shot in the barrel.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
3 hours ago, tankpew said:

I respectfully have to disagree. I think it just creates frustration due to your opponent having access to mechanics that you have locked.

You don't learn much if you are the fish getting shot in the barrel.

I have about 8000 battles, over 500 of them in carriers and a bunch of those in tier V-VI. 

You can go ahead and disagree since I probably would have too 300 battles in but in the end what I’m telling you is what I can see in the rearview mirror. 

But you can go ahead and just be the fish if you want. I’ll happily shoot you in the barrel. 

• Bad 2

[NWFLT]
Members
29 posts
337 battles
2 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

I have about 8000 battles

Players that feel the need to lead with phrases like that, probably need to get over themselves. Spamming games does not make you right about every wows discussion.

• Bad 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
7 hours ago, tankpew said:

Players that feel the need to lead with phrases like that, probably need to get over themselves. Spamming games does not make you right about every wows discussion.

so you weren’t really in here for help you just wanted to whine about the game being too hard for you. 

I get it. Carry on. 

• Bad 1

[NWFLT]
Members
29 posts
337 battles
11 hours ago, _ENO_ said:

I get it. Carry on. 

Good. No one wants to hear your toxic comments.

• Funny 1