You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Carrier_Ikoma

Been away; can someone fill me in? (submarines!)

25 comments in this topic

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts

I guess I got the news a little late. So there's submarines in the halloween event...

Has WG confirmed if there will be tech tree submarines? Any dev posts or other material in particular I should look at for more info?

Thanks in advance

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,149 posts
3,085 battles

As far as we know, this upcoming Halloween submarine event is just a test that is being disguised as an event. I'm guessing WG wants to test the water, before committing to it more seriously.

So far, no news or anything about tech tree submarines. I'm guessing that we would see couple Premium submarines first, before tech tree ones, if WG ever decide to go all the way with this.

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Cool 1

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
1 minute ago, Blorgh2017 said:

As far as we know, this upcoming Halloween submarine event is just a test that is being disguised as an event. I'm guessing WG wants to test the water, before committing to it more seriously.

So far, no news or anything about tech tree submarines. I'm guessing that we would see couple Premium submarines first, before tech tree ones, if WG ever decide to go all the way with this.

So pretty sparse on info at the moment. Ok, thanks for replying!

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,149 posts
3,085 battles
24 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

So pretty sparse on info at the moment. Ok, thanks for replying!

You're welcome.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, the upcoming Halloween submarine Operation offers several submarines that you can choose from to play as, but all except one is locked behind conditions, and some of those conditions require 5-star scores in the first two Halloween Operations. So you might want to get those done ASAP.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

You're welcome.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you, the upcoming Halloween submarine Operation offers several submarines that you can choose from to play as, but all except one is locked behind conditions, and some of those conditions require 5-star scores in the first two Halloween Operations. So you might want to get those done ASAP.

Oh, I'm not really invested enough atm to bother with grind goals, but I'll be trying out the halloween mode.

But some good news! I found 2 separate articles both confirming tech tree subs are coming next year sometime. Hyyyyype. Really can't wait for this. (Links in the spoiler block if you want to see for yourself)

[WOLFB]
Members
1,649 posts
8,024 battles

Submarine will most likely appear in a far future but right now, they are trying to figure out how to make Submarines viable as well as how to balance them. There is a new Halloween operation involving sub that will be available October 30 I think .

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

Scuttlebut on submarines

Been in development since April fools last year. Phlydaily pretty much broke that news when it happened.

A lot closer to being live than most want to admit. I have seen what looked to be leaked footage of submarines in WoWS blitz testing along with the Carrier rework. Phlydaily had this footage though he thought it was another game being developed. It clearly was WoWS blitz but under a development name or a bootleg of the development version.

[OPG]
Members
3,882 posts
5,476 battles
6 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Has WG confirmed if there will be tech tree submarines?

8 minutes ago, GreyFox78659 said:

A lot closer to being live than most want to admit.

The Devs' exact words were more or less that they're using the Halloween event as a test, and then depending on feedback they'll decide whether or not to try and include subs in the regular game or just leave them as a special event mode.

Subs are coming, but whether or not they'll ever actually be a part of standard PvP is far from confirmed.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles

You can see it now , first thing you do load into game and check which ships have Sonar .. dam those Sonars should not be able to see through Islands!!

It’s going to get interesting even if you think it’s not the best move in an already delicate balancing act

[V-MF]
Members
19 posts
1 hour ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

You can see it now , first thing you do load into game and check which ships have Sonar .. dam those Sonars should not be able to see through Islands!!

It’s going to get interesting even if you think it’s not the best move in an already delicate balancing act

Submarines + CV Rework x Power Creep = Glad Not Spending Any More Money On WOWS.

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
1 hour ago, GreyFox78659 said:

A lot closer to being live than most want to admit.

It does seem that way from the news articles. I think... NoZoup's videos he estimated 2+ years out? Definitely too far from the sound of things.

I wonder if maybe the devs were just being soft on the players, since they know it's a touchy subject on the forums, but were more frank when speaking to the news?

Yep yep I'm not expecting a whole lot of realism, I'm sure hiding in baffles and other such things won't be modeled. Seems more like setting up for daring strikes.... but still sounds like a lot of fun!

In any modern/complex game, balance is an ever moving target. Definitely expect it to change some things up though.

18 minutes ago, Krasnaya_Slava said:

Submarines + CV Rework x Power Creep = Glad Not Spending Any More Money On WOWS.

Dunno about powercreep, but subs + cv rework are making me excited for wows all over again. I just want it all to be here sooner! Hehe.

• Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
8,819 posts
7,254 battles
8 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

I guess I got the news a little late. So there's submarines in the halloween event...

Has WG confirmed if there will be tech tree submarines? Any dev posts or other material in particular I should look at for more info?

Thanks in advance

Here's the link to our clans news thread post about subs. I've been trying to keep up with all the Dev blog posts I can in our news thread.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/168771-news-thread-for-the-pve-clan-and-discussions/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4004743

• Cool 1

95 posts
4,482 battles

Well the CV rework is further ahead then I thought at least. I mean they showed UK cv's recently, so those had to have been in the pipes for a while now. So how far sub are in development is unknown, but I am leaning to the "closer then you think" side.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles
8 minutes ago, Fog_Cruiser_Nurnberg said:

Well the CV rework is further ahead then I thought at least. I mean they showed UK cv's recently, so those had to have been in the pipes for a while now. So how far sub are in development is unknown, but I am leaning to the "closer then you think" side.

The rework for CV is complete. It’s the AA rework that is slowing the release.

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Here's the link to our clans news thread post about subs. I've been trying to keep up with all the Dev blog posts I can in our news thread.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/168771-news-thread-for-the-pve-clan-and-discussions/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-4004743

That's a great reference, ty for sharing. Really enjoyed the interview in particular.

[PVE]
Members
8,819 posts
7,254 battles
18 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

That's a great reference, ty for sharing. Really enjoyed the interview in particular.

You are welcome. I keep it updated for the clan, but you are welcome to follow it as well.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles
2 hours ago, Krasnaya_Slava said:

Who knows we’re this goes however with the advent of radar and changes to detections, spotting mechanics, shooting mechanics one has to have some faith however... I don’t know how many read the Wows sub talk but the analogy used there on how Wows handles these changes is this

a man has a mouse he wants to get rid of so he gets a cat then gets a dog to get rid of the cat then gets a lion to get rid of the dog then gets an elephant to get rid of the lion and ....gets a mouse to get rid of the Elephant 

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
43 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

a man has a mouse he wants to get rid of so he gets a cat then gets a dog to get rid of the cat then gets a lion to get rid of the dog then gets an elephant to get rid of the lion and ....gets a mouse to get rid of the Elephant 

I'm just happy to have new animals ships to play, personally... I don't really care if WG sees it as a balancing tool to reign in another class.

[SBS]
Members
2,404 posts
2,253 battles
2 hours ago, Fog_Cruiser_Nurnberg said:

It probably shouldn't have been a surprise.  Sub_Octavian said he was optimistic the rework would happen this year.  After the year of the CV deckle my guess is he would be careful about putting out a time frame, and yet he did.  He must have been fairly confident.  

2 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

The rework for CV is complete. It’s the AA rework that is slowing the release.

Yeah, I think WG is happy with the CV rework concept, its just a matter of fine tuning.  I happen to think subs are at that same point, ready and waiting for fine tuning.  I'd guess after the dust settles on the CV rework expect subs to move into testing.  My guess is late winter, release sometime in the spring.

[DRAH]
Members
91 posts
3,155 battles

The subs are a halloween event to see if Sub play is good enough to warrant further development. If this is a success they will then have a veritable mountain of work before they produce a tech tree for PvP play.

Specifically it is already clear that the initial anti-sub idea of depthcharges are non viable in PvP as the destroyers in the event can't close with the subs to drop on them without getting nuked by torps. In addition there are massive ammounts of work annimating and mapping ASW weapons onto at least the DDs and 1/2 the cruisers. Given the early state of the CV rework subs would be late 2020 at the earliest so don't worry just yet.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles
2 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

I'm just happy to have new animals ships to play, personally... I don't really care if WG sees it as a balancing tool to reign in another class.

I look at it the same way as do many others I would think and weather or not a bunch more mice get added to the game is kinda a mute point for the moment 

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,501 battles
55 minutes ago, Ellyh said:

The subs are a halloween event to see if Sub play is good enough to warrant further development. If this is a success they will then have a veritable mountain of work before they produce a tech tree for PvP play.

Specifically it is already clear that the initial anti-sub idea of depthcharges are non viable in PvP as the destroyers in the event can't close with the subs to drop on them without getting nuked by torps. In addition there are massive ammounts of work annimating and mapping ASW weapons onto at least the DDs and 1/2 the cruisers. Given the early state of the CV rework subs would be late 2020 at the earliest so don't worry just yet.

My DD has depth charges in racks on the back of my boat ready to go I would think the submerged subs would be not very manuverable hence the DDs using Sonar would be able to approach at an angle realizing that the-subs can only fire bow and stern  tubes the way there facing .. we will see .. going to be some nice visual water splashes as the depth charges detonate 

Edited by HMCS_Devilfish

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
5 hours ago, Ellyh said:

Given the early state of the CV rework subs would be late 2020 at the earliest so don't worry just yet.

Hmm. While the software industry is notorious for delays and WG has had a few too, but if they say 2019 I'll at least tentatively believe them (But I'd also guess that's late 2019, yeah).

It might slip to 2020, but I would hope not late 2020.

4 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

going to be some nice visual water splashes as the depth charges detonate 

I hope they add some nice splashes to high speed surfacing, too.

[T-R-F]
Members
289 posts
12,236 battles
12 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Scuttlebut on submarines

Been in development since April fools last year. Phlydaily pretty much broke that news when it happened.

A lot closer to being live than most want to admit. I have seen what looked to be leaked footage of submarines in WoWS blitz testing along with the Carrier rework. Phlydaily had this footage though he thought it was another game being developed. It clearly was WoWS blitz but under a development name or a bootleg of the development version.

That lie has me on the verge of leaving the game. I am fearign they are repeatign the mistakes of WOT with the rework and subs