Sign in to follow this  
Psycodiver

Hello Monarch, final thoughts on the KGV grind

1 comment in this topic

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,522 posts
3,514 battles

I just realized today I finished the KGV grind and I have had some thoughts on her as a whole.

First off she is soft, fast firing CLs were just striping HP off of me, I thought the USN Standards were bad at times, but for whatever reason the Colorado seems to be able to shrug this off while the KGV just bleeds to death by a thousand cuts. Oh and I found NCs, Alabamas and Massachusetts guns and reliably citadel me outside of 12km, their derpy slow shells seem to find my citadel regardless of angle. I've come to fear them, but when I'm in my own NC it makes me feel good.

Second thing, I've never been focused fired as much as I do in this ship, players hate this ship. Playing this and going to other ships, I feel like I'm being ignored in the other ships. Its really frustrating but I've been able to kite enemies away because they want me dead

Third, her AP in punishing to everything! I prefer it against cruisers and destroyers especially because they are less likely to overpen. That said when BBs give me a broadside under 12km I aim a little high and watch the glorious 10-20k HP hits, sure it isn't a citadel but I've never had a BB take some much consistent damage when firing into the upper works of another ship, mostly thanks to her "trash" AP. I ran AP 60-75% of the time, HE isn't bad but isn't nearly as good at hurting the enemy

Fourth, Her AA is trash, OMG is it trash. The Nagato has more usable AA than this ship. Wouldn't you know, I take the Lyon out and no CV, I take my AA spec Colorado out, No CV, Scharhorst and still no CV. Then we get the KGV, I swear I never seen as many CV battles at T7 as I have with this ship, strangely though I think most CV captains think this ship has good AA because they will bypass me, most at least. I've had some matches where I was harassed constantly because they knew I couldn't stop them

Fifth, this was a good ship for honing my BBs skills. I used to use all AP all the time, now I switch up my shells more often (still mostly AP). I'm more aware of targets of opportunity because he AP is so devastating in the right situations. I've also gotten better at kiting, playing my rudder and throttle to maximize enemy misses while dragging them from the battlefield

The Monarch feels like a nice upgrade already even though I've only put in 1 battle so far, her stock range is bad but her excellent concealment negates that. Her guns feel more punchy but she still feels just has soft skinned though. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the KGV because HE spam but if you only HE spam you leave so much on the table, I had fun because she was a challenging ship when you try to play her strengths, its just a shame she has some a low skill floor

Sign in to follow this