You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Varadax

50 Guineas

15 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
1,008 battles

Honestly is it possible for most players to earn 50 guineas to get that one ship?  I mean prior to this week it was four sets of tasks one Guinea per task set.  Now it's 5.  But the whole british buy the ship process ends come November.  So .. am I mis reading something?  Doe people how get to top ranks in the Hall of Fame get more?  Or is the expectation from WoW that you buy crates searching for more?

Beta Testers
361 posts
9,132 battles

You can only earn 45 ( I think, might be less)  guineas from the events. You would then need to buy the remaining guineas from the premium shop which is around 5$ for 5. So a cheap premium.

Oh, and you don't get guineas from crates.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
437 posts
944 battles

Don't forget the 10 guineas for $1 deal, though, offered only once per person.

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
6 minutes ago, hexeris said:

You can only earn 45 ( I think, might be less)  guineas from the events. You would then need to buy the remaining guineas from the premium shop which is around 5$ for 5. So a cheap premium.

Did you miss the 10 for $1 sale? Not sure if they are still selling it as I have already bought it (once per account).

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
7,234 battles
13 minutes ago, Varadax said:

Honestly is it possible for most players to earn 50 guineas to get that one ship?  I mean prior to this week it was four sets of tasks one Guinea per task set.  Now it's 5.  But the whole british buy the ship process ends come November.  So .. am I mis reading something?  Doe people how get to top ranks in the Hall of Fame get more?  Or is the expectation from WoW that you buy crates searching for more?

7 minutes ago, hexeris said:

You can earn 48 Guineas in game. The shop has a 10 for $1 Guinea one-time sale. So you can get the Cossack for $1. You earn Guineas for completing Directives. 

For more details on the event.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,320 posts
11,834 battles

At the end of this directive you could have 20 guineas. If you took advantage of the 10 for $1 deal you only need 20 more. I am very tempted to open my wallet now but...must...... resist..........!

[PVE]
Members
5,301 posts
17,724 battles
8 minutes ago, Khafni said:

At the end of this directive you could have 20 guineas. If you took advantage of the 10 for $1 deal you only need 20 more. I am very tempted to open my wallet now but...must...... resist..........!

The Cossack it kind of good. There are many who love it, and many like me that think it is just "meh". Best to look over LittleWhiteMouse's review on her and make your own decision based on what classes you enjoy playing. 

I think the big fail with guineas in this event is that you can only use them for the Cossack itself. They really should have made it possible to buy sovereigns or other items in the Arsenal with guineas since there are many players who won't earn nearly enough or are not interested in the Cossack. IMHO it just wasn't thought out very well. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
361 posts
9,132 battles
46 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Did you miss the 10 for $1 sale? Not sure if they are still selling it as I have already bought it (once per account).

Yeah, wasn't sure if it was still on. I got mine :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,015 posts
1 hour ago, Varadax said:

The sovereigns run out, you can still get guineas, so yes, you can get 48 from the event, and buy two of them. The big problem is, WG is dragging this event out so long that the Cossack could travel at the speed of light while firing nuclear warheads and it would still be seen as a disappointment by the time people get it.

• Cool 1

[AR15]
Members
393 posts
2,779 battles
2 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

The sovereigns run out, you can still get guineas, so yes, you can get 48 from the event, and buy two of them. The big problem is, WG is dragging this event out so long that the Cossack could travel at the speed of light while firing nuclear warheads and it would still be seen as a disappointment by the time people get it.

Gotta agree with this, and sadly we already know that the Cossack makes a great T7 but a very meh T8.   While we all want to go YAY free T8 premium! Most of us are going to be forcing a smile at the end.  Had the event taken 2 or 3 weeks wouldnt be so bad.

Members
471 posts
1,992 battles
2 hours ago, sansfaille said:

I got it today so it is still available.

• Cool 1

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,178 battles
3 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

Farming ships is good regardless of disappointment. Indianapolis is widely considered a pretty poopy boat, but it was still worth grinding for because it’s free.

Directed gameplay is a good thing, especially if it gives you choices on what you want to use to complete it.  Hell, for the citadels and potential damage directives, i dusted off my Dunkerque.  Dunkerque!  I forgot how much of a blast I had in that ship.

2-3 months of that to get something like the Cossack rather than an Indianapolis? Even, lets say, having to spend $6(!) for 15 guineas for one reason or another, which is almost 4 weeks’ worth of directives, I don’t get how people could be actually disappointed.  Acting salty for attention? Sure, human nature and all that.  But going “gah! I just wasted 2-3 months of play, mostly in ships i like to play, to get the meh-/gud-/fun-bote Cossack and wish I never did it” boggles my mind.

Edited by SmokeHenge
  • Cool 1

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
226 posts
3,213 battles

How much silver are the guineas worth, or are we just going to loose then at the end?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
372 posts
3,292 battles
3 hours ago, DarkStormy said:

How much silver are the guineas worth, or are we just going to loose then at the end?

They will convert to credits, but WG is not publishing the exchange rate.

I went ahead and took a chance and spent $23 on guineas to get her a bit early.  Her missions are very easy and they bring 10000 elite captain xp each.  I've bagged 30000 this week alone.

Her biggest problem is T8 matchmaking.  She can't compete with t9 or t10 gunboats.  She is definitely a gunboat, too.  Single torpedo launcher but really good guns.  Crappy, short lived smoke.  She needs a torpedo reload booster.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,886 battles
3 hours ago, SmokeHenge said:

Farming ships is good regardless of disappointment. Indianapolis is widely considered a pretty poopy boat, but it was still worth grinding for because it’s free.

Directed gameplay is a good thing, especially if it gives you choices on what you want to use to complete it.  Hell, for the citadels and potential damage directives, i dusted off my Dunkerque.  Dunkerque!  I forgot how much of a blast I had in that ship.

2-3 months of that to get something like the Cossack rather than an Indianapolis? Even, lets say, having to spend $6(!) for 15 guineas for one reason or another, which is almost 4 weeks’ worth of directives, I don’t get how people could be actually disappointed.  Acting salty for attention? Sure, human nature and all that.  But going “gah! I just wasted 2-3 months of play, mostly in ships i like to play, to get the meh-/gud-/fun-bote Cossack and wish I never did it” boggles my mind.

All of this.

Indianapolis, for all her faults, is an American heavy cruiser similar enough in armament and gun layout to New Orleans and Baltimore to act as a captain trainer going into them and coming out of them. 

Cossack, for all her faults, will be a T8 destroyer I can drop my 19 point captain in for permanent campaign missions that want a T8+ destroyer (I think there are a few of those) without having to retrain him from another ship, and to act as a higher-tier captain retrainer, or captain developer for the upper-tier gunboats. And like you, I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from taking out ships I usually wouldn't choose but which fit certain requirements better than the ships I generally reach for. The grind is longer and more arduous in many ways, but three things make it better (much, MUCH better; WG listened to just about everything we complained about during the Indy grind):

1) Co-op is a valid mode for almost everything (the exception so far has been "score one achievement", but with the temporary four-kill mini-Kraken being offered in co-op for the hockey event, even that isn't an absolute barrier; just a bit harder to do at T5 than T2 or T3).

2) The tier floor is T5 rather than T6, which gives me a whole lot of options I didn't have for Indy.

3) Very few of the missions so far have required "do this AND win", and those that do have had an easily achievable "other requirement" (e.g. 2000 captain XP).