You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Mystified a bit about Karma points

23 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

I don't know about other players, but I do provide compliments to players at the end of the game.  Not every game, but especially to the losing team when one player has played exceptionally well or someone on our team has carried more than their weight.  I don't normally use up all of my points per session, but there is usually 3-5 that I compliment.  I rarely send bad karma points unless someone ends up being a team killer doing something REALLY dumb.

I seem to give out a lot of compliments, but I don't get many back.  I'm respectful in chat, I stay if I die to watch the map and warn my team about threats, and otherwise try and be a team player.

Why is is that even when I am at the top of the team that I rarely get karma points?  Could it be that I am a dd main and the majority of the players don't like us sneaky dd drivers? 

[WMD]
Members
82 posts
4,842 battles

I'm guessing most people don't think to compliment. I know I often forget to compliment a good player, but I do try to remember when I see someone do well. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,041 posts
4,367 battles

Welcome to World of Warships where the higher tiers are made up and the points don't matter!

• Funny 2

[ARRGG]
Members
4,676 posts
7,503 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

I don't know about other players, but I do provide compliments to players at the end of the game.  Not every game, but especially to the losing team when one player has played exceptionally well or someone on our team has carried more than their weight.  I don't normally use up all of my points per session, but there is usually 3-5 that I compliment.  I rarely send bad karma points unless someone ends up being a team killer doing something REALLY dumb.

I seem to give out a lot of compliments, but I don't get many back.  I'm respectful in chat, I stay if I die to watch the map and warn my team about threats, and otherwise try and be a team player.

Why is is that even when I am at the top of the team that I rarely get karma points?  Could it be that I am a dd main and the majority of the players don't like us sneaky dd drivers? 

My Karma is 0 probably - 30 really, I suspect the negative is given by players you sink not your teammates because I’m a team player and hold my own

interestingly my Karma went from 0 to 8 in Ranked  but with in 2 weeks of ending Ranked battles...I’m at 0 and holding

Members
140 posts
12,887 battles

I'm currently at 330 which is roughly one point every 40 games or so. 

It's a cumulative effect, basically two steps forward, one step back. I'll go up two points, down one, up two, down one, etc., repeatedly.

No idea if 1 per 40 matches is average or below or above or what, though.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

Getting positive karma has not been a problem for me.  It’s the negative karma that is largely out of your control.  If you suggest going to some cap and your team loses you get reported because it was your idea to do something and team failed.  If you dev strike a couple of guys on opposing team they report you for unsporting behavior.  If you say good game in general chat, some super salty player will lash out at the first guy that said something and report you for misbehavior in chat.  If you are 5 seconds slow to load, someone will report you for afk.  Those sort of things.  Having said that I was able to get over 100 positive karma over time, but some players maintain many times more than that.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,777 posts
12,906 battles
3 hours ago, AMajor said:

Most folks don't do the Karma thing.  It's not what you captain.  It's  just those of us who give it out a lot are just a very small percentage of the player base.

Members
728 posts
3,804 battles

I try to do that, for both my team and the enemy.  BUT, as we all know, we are limited to 5-6 a day.  And, I will also ding people who are extremely rude in chat or racist, homophobic, or misogynistic.  Beorn may be an old cripple recovering from a hip replacement, but I don't play that foolishness.

And, that being said, I have received NOTHING BUT AMAZING THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS after my hip replacement.  I had complications due to the spinal tap anesthesia, and it got dicey for a bit.  Being able to come home and play my "World of ..." games and chat with all the good folks; this has been as good for my healing process as my physical rehab I think.

Once again, the Commanders of Warships are, almost to a person, exemplary individuals who love naval warfare and team-play.  Tanks is less so, but even THEY have been stepping it up during their Halloween event.

You all take care, and thank you all again for your kind words and healing vibes!

~Beorn of the Northern Sea, now with added titanium!

• Cool 3

[KAPPA]
Members
157 posts
4,239 battles

Often times I end up running out of karma to give. And that's mostly while playing co-op! If it's only one other human on our team, I compliment them if they were instrumental to the victory. Usually winning is easy, but the bots love to lose won games. I'm proud of what karma I get, though I often don't get a whole lot. Wish I were good enough to get it more often, though I'm getting a lot more of late, so I guess I'm getting there?

• Cool 1

Members
1,130 posts
6,721 battles

i compliment people far more often for having good manners, being a good sportsman, or being a team player(like smoking teammates up) compared to just playing well. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,873 posts
13,382 battles

It's nice to be able to compliment someone on good play, even if they get nothing for it.

It's a stress relief to report someone for selfish play (it saves me from raging in chat). 

[BSA]
[BSA]
Members
20 posts
11,935 battles
2 hours ago, Beorn_of_the_NorthernSea said:

I try to do that, for both my team and the enemy.  BUT, as we all know, we are limited to 5-6 a day.  And, I will also ding people who are extremely rude in chat or racist, homophobic, or misogynistic.  Beorn may be an old cripple recovering from a hip replacement, but I don't play that foolishness.

And, that being said, I have received NOTHING BUT AMAZING THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS after my hip replacement.  I had complications due to the spinal tap anesthesia, and it got dicey for a bit.  Being able to come home and play my "World of ..." games and chat with all the good folks; this has been as good for my healing process as my physical rehab I think.

Once again, the Commanders of Warships are, almost to a person, exemplary individuals who love naval warfare and team-play.  Tanks is less so, but even THEY have been stepping it up during their Halloween event.

You all take care, and thank you all again for your kind words and healing vibes!

~Beorn of the Northern Sea, now with added titanium!

Well I have 78 karma and the higher your karma the more reports you can give I have 9 per day I can use now

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
1,623 posts
21,656 battles

The better I do in my shima the worse my karma gets. 

[SBD]
[SBD]
Members
231 posts
3,256 battles

I try to give out all my karma points per day mostly to players that helped pull off a win, sometimes to red player's that really carried their team or pulled off a great ambush.

Occasionally I give negative Karma to chat abusers, or really poor play.

Last one was to a BB player on my team that blatantly thru a ranked game, not sure if he was helping a buddy win or just being an ahole. He sailed to the edge of the map and refused to fire on the red team till we where all dead.

[LNWLF]
Members
73 posts

It's really simple they mean absolutely nothing they serve absolutely no purpose and if you pick an emblem that offends people you will get downvoted like crazy and it is hilarious.

I chose the most obnoxious offensive emblem there is,  the one with beams shooting out of the eyes of what could only be some type god. 

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
828 posts
4,565 battles

I know I sound like a broken record but I'm more apt to give karma for team play and a great attitude than for someone having a good game. Why give karma for someone topping damage charts? Isn't that what they're supposed to do? What they don't have to do is have a great attitude. This tends to get positive karma from me.

Since I'm now playing DDs I'm more critical of their play and will drop a plays poorly on them when they smoke up and sit in their smoke while nothing is spotted. Now if they smoke up then continue to spot for the team I'll give positive karma.

I've never given negative karma for a failed plan unless it's going up the slot early game on "Two Brothers".  That's just stupid and needs to be punished and I don't care about the YouTube videos where it worked for some unicum.

I'll drop bad karma for ranting and name calling in chat. Isn't that what karma is all about? You get what you exude if it's positive it's positive. Negative begets negative.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,777 posts
12,906 battles
6 hours ago, Beorn_of_the_NorthernSea said:

I try to do that, for both my team and the enemy.  BUT, as we all know, we are limited to 5-6 a day. 

I've got 11 a day, and usually give it all out each day.  Eleven!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
7,961 battles
1 minute ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I've got 11 a day, and usually give it all out each day.  Eleven!

Same.

I have a thing for looking for player names that reference things that I enjoy, books, etc.  I'll generally throw out a comment that applies to the "character".  If I get a response in kind - upvote.

Heck, I mailed a rogue, in WoW, 1k gold back in the day.... because his toon was named Littlefinger, and I watched him gank "NedStark".

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles

I've had nights where I rocked and been dinged a few karma, and nights where I played meh yet ended with net positive points. (Though last Thursday I was +5 for the night, including 3 in a loss where I got a Kraken.)

Makes very little sense to me how some folks choose to dole it out, tbh. :cap_yes:

[RMRGD]
Members
175 posts
16,728 battles
10 hours ago, AMajor said:

Almost to 15k battles here.  I rarely get Karma for caring a game or due to having high skill.   I typically see Karma given in the following:

• If a team mate helps you, send them a compliment tell them in chat, they will almost always send you one back
  • If you WIN the game for the team solo against the odds
  • If an enemy player out plays you and tell him he did well send him compliment.  People respect that heavily and typically give one back for being a good sport
  • When people get Salty put them in their place in a nice way.  Dont let others put others down especially in random/non-ranked type games.   Even if the person is new, random is how you learn.    I often get compliments for this

Members
214 posts

I always sweep the leg and use my karma points to throw takedowns on the idiots who die first on my team.  I hit them with plays poorly and unsportsmanlike conduct sometimes if they are especially poor.  If you're a good player, being the top on your team and winning is enough reward.  it's better to karma bomb the idiots who occupy the bottom of the team.  no mercy.

• Funny 1

Members
140 posts
12,887 battles
On 10/22/2018 at 8:27 AM, Sensai_Lawrence said:

If you're a good player, being the top on your team and winning is enough reward.  

Indeed! Leaderboard position is everything. If you're a good player, being the top on your team and losing is enough reward.  

On 10/22/2018 at 8:27 AM, Sensai_Lawrence said:

it's better to karma bomb the idiots who occupy the bottom of the team.  

That's my practice as well. After a defeat, my negative karma goes to whoever's listed at the bottom of our team's leaderboard.

When I run out of karma to hand out, that's when I stop playing for the day.