You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

How Can a Battleship out run a Leningrad?

18 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
48 posts
767 battles

Hey weird thing just happened, wondering if someone could explain?

I was in a Leningrad without speed flag and turbo boost on cool down being chased by a Battleship. Sorry did not get name was too occupied trying to survive.  Chased me down, closing distance, for 1 1/2 minutes firing every 5-7 seconds about 6 to 12 shells.  Looking at the mini map it was a BB.  I turned left and right to dodge most of them but got killed in the end as could not avoid all.

Still a BB should not outrun a DD and fire every 5-7 seconds.  Any explanations?  I am certain I saw 2 lines for a BB on the mini map not one for a CA.

Thanks.  Never happened before.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles

If it was every 5-7 seconds it wasn;t a BB simple as that. Probably a Saint Louis or a CHarles Martel with Speed Boost active, between your dodging and the speed loss from that and just how fast he is completely possibble.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

You may have only seen a battleship, but a cruiser and/or destroyer hidden by an island or smoke may have been shooting at you, also.

No battleship can even come close to catching up to a Leningrad (one of the fastest ships in the game), and no battleship can fire every 5-7 seconds (not even close).

Edited by desmo_2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,418 battles

Without reload booster active, no French cruiser can fire that fast.

Unless he has AR and is low health.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
48 posts
767 battles

I know it does not make sense, but I can only tell you what I remember.  Could be unseen DD in front of BB and maybe the constant turning slowed me down enough for BB to catch up.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,032 posts
7,609 battles
34 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I was in a Leningrad without speed flag and turbo boost on cool down being chased by a Battleship. Sorry did not get name was too occupied trying to survive.  Chased me down, closing distance, for 1 1/2 minutes firing every 5-7 seconds about 6 to 12 shells.  Looking at the mini map it was a BB.  I turned left and right to dodge most of them but got killed in the end as could not avoid all.

Still a BB should not outrun a DD and fire every 5-7 seconds.  Any explanations?  I am certain I saw 2 lines for a BB on the mini map not one for a CA.

I'd need a replay on this one.

Leningrad (43kt top speed) with Engine Boost should be trucking at 46 knots.  Throwing her rudder about will only slow her to about 34 knots without boost.  Was your engine knocked out?  Even with Last Stand that can give the edge to a fast battleship to keep pace with you provided they were moving in a straight line.  Battleships like Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Tirpitz or Gascogne could keep up a steady rate of fire with their faster reloads while also shelling you constantly with secondaries. 

Members
2 posts
3,159 battles
42 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

True A BB shouldn't be able to outrun a Cruiser, but what is remotely historically accurate about WoW. USS CA didn't sit behind islands to fight in WWII and the Fletcher Class DDs historically outperformed most others and were not forced to sit behind islands in ambush. So I am not surprised to find BB are now outruning CAs

[OPG]
Members
3,881 posts
5,476 battles
56 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I turned left and right to dodge...

Well with out seeing a replay I can't know for sure but I'm going to go out on a limb and say this might have been your problem.  My guess is that you were turning too hard to doge shells, bled too much speed in the process ended up taking a far longer route allowing whatever was pursuing to stay in range.

1 hour ago, SJ_Sailer said:

firing every 5-7 seconds about 6 to 12 shells.

That sure doesn't sound like a BB to me...

[TBOW]
Members
182 posts
1,560 battles

We would need the name of the ship to exactly figure out what he reason was. It could’ve been secondary ships but that doesn’t explain speed except for the Germans which still have good secondaries along with speed, put a speed flag on that may be enough to give chase

[PVE]
Members
8,814 posts
7,241 battles
1 hour ago, embeddeddear97 said:

We would need the name of the ship to exactly figure out what he reason was. It could’ve been secondary ships but that doesn’t explain speed except for the Germans which still have good secondaries along with speed, put a speed flag on that may be enough to give chase

The T8+ French BBs have a speed boost as well as fairly long range secondaries.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
13,558 battles
3 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Odd that you never saw the BB? A Republique running Sierra Mike with speed boost active is pretty damn fast and her secondaries reach out to 12.1 km and fire at about the rate you cited......but of course at that range you would see her.

Members
450 posts
7,823 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'd need a replay on this one.

Leningrad (43kt top speed) with Engine Boost should be trucking at 46 knots.  Throwing her rudder about will only slow her to about 34 knots without boost.  Was your engine knocked out?  Even with Last Stand that can give the edge to a fast battleship to keep pace with you provided they were moving in a straight line.  Battleships like Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Tirpitz or Gascogne could keep up a steady rate of fire with their faster reloads while also shelling you constantly with secondaries. 

Are people commonly setup for replays? I see this asked a lot of people on here. Thought maybe Im out of the loop.

[SIM]
Members
2,428 posts
4,060 battles

You got gunned down by one or more French cruisers, not a BB. 

[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,146 battles
2 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

You got gunned down by one or more French cruisers, not a BB. 

This is most likely the case. 2 cruisers very close together can look like a single BB on the minimap, if you're busy and only glancing at it quickly.

[INTEL]
Members
741 posts
7,855 battles

There's only a few ships in the game that can even keep up with Leningrad, none are faster. 

Wiggling to dodge shells and maybe a French cruiser on boost could keep up.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,548 posts
3,734 battles
5 hours ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

Are people commonly setup for replays? I see this asked a lot of people on here. Thought maybe Im out of the loop.

AFAIK, you can enable replays either from a mod or manually enable it and even if an update hits, the replay should still be left as enabled regardless if the mod is outdated or not. Not sure on the manual method if it remains enabled. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,571 posts
14,010 battles
5 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

AFAIK, you can enable replays either from a mod or manually enable it and even if an update hits, the replay should still be left as enabled regardless if the mod is outdated or not. Not sure on the manual method if it remains enabled. 

I've had my Replays enabled manually years ago, it still works despite the regular patching and I never had to do anything for it since.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,548 posts
3,734 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I've had my Replays enabled manually years ago, it still works despite the regular patching and I never had to do anything for it since.

Then there ya go, just trouble yourself one time to enable the replays and no need to worry about it ever again.

Well with some occasional cleansing of outdated replays from time to time.