You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Phasferous

RN Event Sudden Change in Task?

19 comments in this topic

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts

So up until before the Halloween event there was a mission at each tier/stage of the RN event that you could do with any RN DD. Now it's only the Cossack. I don't know if the RN DD line is now out for everyone (It shows for me but I have the T5 unlocked through the event), so maybe if it is that's caused this change. Did they announce this when they announced the RN event?

Either way the change is rather discouraging cause just as I was able to earn a DD, this change took effect. Sort of a disappointing move.

Anyone know if they'll being back the tasks that all RN DDs qualify for? Or will it be the Cossack only until the end of the event?

What's frustrating is that the Cossack can (mostly) be earned with Guineas, but you'd need to complete all Directives to get most of them. That however means you'd have to work through the entire length of the event until it's end, but that removes the option of using the Cossack if you wish to earn all possible free Guineas. This sudden change in which ship you can use feels a bit heavy handed. In past events they have had Event Ship Only tasks (Duke of York comes to mind) but those tasks were set from the start. This event they changed it mid-event, forcing any player who had wanted to use their unlocked RN DD to either not bother with the task or buy the Cossack well before they had all the Guineas earned that are earnable.

Yes there are alternative tasks but that's saying the same as what they did with Battle of North cap. There were other tasks, but again in that event they had the ship specific tasks set to the Duke from the start. This time it switch mid-event which doesn't make any sense (if they were going to change it at all, why bother not just having it be the Cossack from the start?). Makes me wonder if they weren't selling enough Cossack's and this is their way of sort of forcing players to buy it to run those tasks. Considering how poorly the RN DD line has been recieved, the Cossack failing to sell well wouldn't surprise me and this is just there way of trying to forcefully encourage players to go and buy it. Especially considering how easy all of the Cossack tasks are. In-fact all of them are all the same through all four stages. "Get a Defended, Captured or Assisted in Capture ribbon".

Unless it's under a different News post, I actually do not see any information on the different tasks they'd be offering for each stage. Which they have done in the past for event based missions. So it makes it harder to know if this was all planned, or if the Cossack is selling poorly and they are trying to compensate for those sales by switching the mission from requiring any RN DD to only the Cossack.

Edited by Phasferous

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
451 posts
961 battles

Yeah, I was not happy to see that all 4 directives this week had both a 7-star Scenario mission and a Cossack mission, forcing us to basically complete all the other ones available, and I can tell right now I won't be getting them all done...cruiser main that has to tank 7.5 million damage?  That'll take a few days.  I don't know about the rest of the weekly directives, but they haven't been releasing them in advance, though I did see the first weeks' missions when I checked them out on the PT server, but not the remaining weeks.

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
17 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Yeah, I was not happy to see that all 4 directives this week had both a 7-star Scenario mission and a Cossack mission, forcing us to basically complete all the other ones available, and I can tell right now I won't be getting them all done...cruiser main that has to tank 7.5 million damage?  That'll take a few days.  I don't know about the rest of the weekly directives, but they haven't been releasing them in advance, though I did see the first weeks' missions when I checked them out on the PT server, but not the remaining weeks.

The fact that they give 3-4 days to complete all these is just disgusting. Someone said it in another thread (can't remember what the topic was), but what was said was that WGing isn't being able to make enough money of the older generation (veterans, people within the age range of 50-70, and people who have time and money), and are now targeting the younger generation. Those in High School, and maybe a bit younger. People who still can use something like their parents credit card, or allowance (if that's even a thing anymore) but don't have bills to pay. Like rent! lol xD

This would make sense with their constricting time expectations. Less time to do each "thing", or pay for a Prem ship that can give you a easy and free task. This essentially cuts out College students or people who are "middle aged", commonly those in their mid 20s and up to their 40s. I honestly don't think I've seen a event this demanding or time constrained in this game until now. This essentially tells you "sacrifice anything else you are doing, or don't bother with this event". Which is a toxic was to run a event. It cuts the player count immensely and that's the opposite of what a event should do. It should draw in more players (new and old). It's a destructive way for a game to be run.

I am lucky (which I count myself as such) to have even earned a RN DD Personal Mission, but for anyone else it's probably been a slog. Now the change to only allowing the Cossack just makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach.

I honestly think the sudden change of ship requirement is because the RN DDs are turning out to be trash (there are a few who like them, but for the most part a large majority of the community think they offer nothing and are not good at anything), and because of the RN DD line being that bad the sale numbers of the Cossack have taken a heavy hit. Players probably thinking "If the rest of the line is crap, why bother taking a massive gamble for a ship that's most likely also just as bad?". Which I wouldn't fault them, that's a pretty sane and reasonable line of thought for a smart customer.

Just sucks for people like me who do think that but don't want to risk wasting money on a ship that ends up being as trashy as the rest of the line. Because people like myself now no longer have a option to use a RN DD they earned through the event.

WGing feels like they are taking one forward, two steps back. They listen to their community sure, but then make choices like this when listening hurts their bottom line. Which doing that ends up meaning they hurt their community more. Essentially creating a problem so that you can then fix it. In this case the problem they created is "We made the RN DD line crap and no people aren't buying the Cossack" and the fix is "We need to sell more Cossack's. Make the RN Event Tasks now require it so people will buy it".

Edited by Phasferous
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,440 posts
25,328 battles
16 hours ago, Bonfor said:

You can do them in coop, easily, except for the stars. You can also get them easily in operations. Tanking 7.5 million is a few games in BBs -- you can do it in coop with a premium BB so you dont spend money. I see you have a Scharn, that's a  good one, since you will be getting in close to torp the bots. Texas is also ok for that. 

I've been running these in coop and operations. Ranked also not a bad place to do them. 

For the stars, jump into our operations discord, in the evenings there are between 1 and 3 groups hard at work killing bots. Our veterans know the ops very well and are happy to teach.

https://discord.gg/rG2cXm

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
748 posts
7,913 battles

They changed several things in the Brit missions this week. One was allowing Operations to count toward nearly all the directives. That makes them even easier to complete. 

You dont need every directive. You just miss out on as couple of containers. You can still get the Cossack at the end. 

WG is practically handing out a ship in exchange for some time. Some of you act like WG are villian in a 70's Bond movie plotting to take over the world.

• Cool 1

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
14 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

you can do it in coop with a premium BB so you dont spend money.

As much as the rest of your post was good, this part was....constrictive in the same sentence. lol

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
Just now, Ares1967 said:

They changed several things in the Brit missions this week. One was allowing Operations to count toward nearly all the directives. That makes them even easier to complete. 

You dont need every directive. You just miss out on as couple of containers. You can still get the Cossack at the end. 

WG is practically handing out a ship in exchange for some time. Some of you act like WG are villian in a 70's Bond movie plotting to take over the world.

I believe you missed the entire point of the first three posts.

Also someone stating concern does not equal them calling WGing a Villain. Stating concerns or voicing constructive criticism is not the same as what you are claiming.

Many people these days think that voicing a concern or something that does not align with your own views is you (or whoever it might be) saying the person or company you are talking about is some big ol baddy. And it's the same ol thing from white knights in this community. If you don't agree with WGing then you are incorrect. Even if what you are trying to talk about is constructive and grounded.

Members
706 posts

sorry but I fail to see a problem, you could complete all the directives without a Cossack.

and what is the problem with WG chucking a bit of a bone to people who have paid real money for Cossack, or may encourage someone to part with real money for Cossack sooner rather than get the free one in almost 2 months time, given WG are in the business of making money to run a company, so they have to have content that will nudge some in the direction of the optional spending money.

• Cool 1

[RAWR]
Members
425 posts
6 minutes ago, b101uk said:

sorry but I fail to see a problem, you could complete all the directives without a Cossack.

and what is the problem with WG chucking a bit of a bone to people who have paid real money for Cossack, or may encourage someone to part with real money for Cossack sooner rather than get the free one in almost 2 months time, given WG are in the business of making money to run a company, so they have to have content that will nudge some in the direction of the optional spending money.

Because it's like a tier system that made sense. Players run the RN event, complete Directives to get Personal Missions for the RN DDs. Then they use those RN DDs to complete most tasks, thus completing Directives. While doing this they (the players) were earning Guineas to then eventually have enough to reduce the price of the Cossack. WGing has removed the RN DD tasks and thus removed a step in the process. This process was pretty clear with how they had it and made sense to the player.

I was pretty clear in my previous posts that these tasks that require the Cossack are by choice of the player (even though player "choice" is a common joke in this industry), so not going to reply to that part.

Will say that throwing a bone to people who own the Cossack isn't really grounded in what we have here. Throwing a bone to people who bought the Cossack without bothing with the Guineas would be them adding a mission only for the Cossack but without removing the RN DD task. What they've done here is (going back to my earlier analogy) is removed a step. I'd say this isn't them throwing a bone to the Cossack players (though that is a side effect of this change in direction), this is them removing a task that worked fine and dandy for those who've unlocked a RN DD and replacing it with a task that either forces those players to buy the Cossack without earning all possible Guineas, or choose a mission that is far more grindy (since again, all available Cossack missions can be done in a single game where the others for the most part cannot).

Your "point" of stating they are a company wasn't really needed. No duh they are, what else would they be? lol. Plus I already pointed out the "business" side of why this change may have occurred (and most likely was the reason). You'd have known of my acknowledgement of the business side of this had you read my initial post. However going by the fact that you brought up them being a business, I am going to go on the assumption you did not.

Members
706 posts

you seam to miss the point that the missions for RN DD's in the earlier directives prior to the RN DD line release was WG throwing a bone to people who had purchased RN premium DD in the past and the people who were lucky enough to get them from standard or premium RN crates, so by extension the Cossack ones are much the same ethos, as there were plenty of people without RN DD's of any description.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
2 hours ago, Bonfor said:

...cruiser main that has to tank 7.5 million damage?  That'll take a few days.

This is the reason I diversified beyond British cruisers this time last year. I realised I was poorly equipped to take on events like this if they were all I ever played.

• Cool 2

[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles
27 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is the reason I diversified beyond British cruisers this time last year. I realised I was poorly equipped to take on events like this if they were all I ever played. 

Yeah. "Tanking" damage isn't exactly a specialty of the RN cruisers.  

Alpha Tester
2,728 posts
4,343 battles

The star mission takes place of the RN DD in general mission. The Cossack mission takes place of the 7-8 RNDD mission.

i.e. They are both optional.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
748 posts
7,913 battles
2 hours ago, Phasferous said:

If you don't agree with WGing then you are incorrect. Even if what you are trying to talk about is constructive and grounded.

Oh yes, you were constructive and grounded when you...

Outright accused WG of some diabolical plot to squeeze money from parents by targeting kids who have access to a parents CC.

The entire post is whiney and self entitled. 

There may be a White Knight for WG on the forum. There are certainly enough crybabies needing a pacifier. 

You're the one missing points. Point 1, you whine, its boring.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
17 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Yeah. "Tanking" damage isn't exactly a specialty of the RN cruisers.  

It can be done if you have premium everything and fly the right flags for maximum heal and shortest reload - of all the CL's, this is the only line that can farm Dreadnought, Fireproof and Unsinkable below Tier IX - but it's a dangerous way to live if you don't time your heals right and someone catches you short or multi-citadels you for everything.

[4HIM]
Members
1,716 posts
3,905 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It can be done if you have premium everything and fly the right flags for maximum heal and shortest reload - of all the CL's, this is the only line that can farm Dreadnought, Fireproof and Unsinkable below Tier IX - but it's a dangerous way to live if you don't time your heals right and someone catches you short or multi-citadels you for everything.

But since you have a Nelson, it's far easier to just lumber into battle and hit the "Print New Ship" button as needed.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,802 posts
3,974 battles
36 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Phasferous Surprise another WG expected unexpected Up Yours Little People!

I beg to differ. Free-to-play has never had it so good, and nor has Co-op; and as for the Cossack, anyone with regular-enough access to a computer to earn 48 guineas can find a way to pay for the other two.

The tasks are mild compared with those for the Indianapolis grind. None of this "win and survive and do X in Randoms" stuff. Practically all of it can be worked through eventually if you are persistent enough, WITHOUT it being dependent on how well your team does. 

Just how much do you expect them to hand you lot on a platter anyhow? There are people volunteering access to a Discord server to help others who need stars div up and get through off-rotation missions, for Pete's sake! 

If people like you and @Phasferous spent as much time and effort organising a division to go into off-rotation missions and grab a star or two here and there as you did accusing WG of treating you unfairly, you could be powering through this stuff and laughing all the way to the bank.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
8,863 posts
7,288 battles
4 hours ago, Taichunger said:

You can do them in coop, easily, except for the stars. You can also get them easily in operations. Tanking 7.5 million is a few games in BBs -- you can do it in coop with a premium BB so you dont spend money. I see you have a Scharn, that's a  good one, since you will be getting in close to torp the bots. Texas is also ok for that. 

I've been running these in coop and operations. Ranked also not a bad place to do them. 

For the stars, jump into our operations discord, in the evenings there are between 1 and 3 groups hard at work killing bots. Our veterans know the ops very well and are happy to teach.

https://discord.gg/rG2cXm

This^^

Only the Saving Transylvania OP does not count for the Missions, WG did change Directives III & IV's Collect 7 Stars mission so that it would count for those Missions. Save the Collect 7 Stars Missions for when you have unlocked all the Directives you can and getting 7 Stars completes all of the unlocked Collect 7 Stars Missions at once. This week you will need to Division up to complete all four Collect 7 Stars Missions, but the other Halloween Operations are T8 & T7 so you won't have to division up, but still can.

4 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

This^^^

Except for the Cossack Missions and the Saving Transylvania T3 Operation, all the other operations are available to complete RN Missions. Ranked and Clan Battles will count as well.

The Collect 7 Stars Missions give flags and the Cossack Missions give ECXP, so you won't even miss out on the pumpkin containers. And you can complete the Directives without the Cossack Missions or the Collect 7 Stars mission.

1 hour ago, pyantoryng said:

The star mission takes place of the RN DD in general mission. The Cossack mission takes place of the 7-8 RNDD mission.

i.e. They are both optional.

This^^^

Exactly. The T5+ UK DD Missions were aimed at those who had bought the Gallant, Cossack and/or who were lucky enough to have a RARE early access UK DD. The T7+ UK DD missions were aimed at those who got the Cossack and the even rarer Jervis & Lightning early access missions. You don't have to have the Cossack to complete the Directives.

1 hour ago, Ares1967 said:

Oh yes, you were constructive and grounded when you...

Outright accused WG of some diabolical plot to squeeze money from parents by targeting kids who have access to a parents CC.

This^^^

1 hour ago, Ares1967 said:
59 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Phasferous Surprise another WG expected unexpected Up Yours Little People!

11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I beg to differ. Free-to-play has never had it so good, and nor has Co-op; and as for the Cossack, anyone with regular-enough access to a computer to earn 48 guineas can find a way to pay for the other two.

The tasks are mild compared with those for the Indianapolis grind. None of this "win and survive and do X in Randoms" stuff. Practically all of it can be worked through eventually if you are persistent enough, WITHOUT it being dependent on how well your team does. 

Just how much do you expect them to hand you lot on a platter anyhow? There are people volunteering access to a Discord server to help others who need stars div up and get through off-rotation missions, for Pete's sake! 

If people like you and @Phasferous spent as much time and effort organising a division to go into off-rotation missions and grab a star or two here and there as you did accusing WG of treating you unfairly, you could be powering through this stuff and laughing all the way to the bank.

This^^^

The game is free to play, NOT free to develop. If WG doesn't make money, then no game. They still have to pay salaries, rent, servers, etc.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1