You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

RN DDs, how do you use these effectively?

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
494 posts
1,275 battles

I'm playing the lower tiers and they seem pretty useless.

If you get close enough to torp, you are going to die, if you don't you will do no damage.

Anybody have any tips?

[DTM]
Alpha Tester
113 posts
3,344 battles

I find using terrain to ambush is the best way. Doesn't mean I am great at it though.

• Cool 1

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,595 battles

I'm using Icarus ATM. At tier 6 she has a 6nm Detectable range with a 10 point commander and 7k torps. So you can stealth Torp carefully. The short duration smoke but quick reload can also get you out of tight spots. But using Islands are your best chance and then use your low detectability to spot for your CA and BB alies. 

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
253 posts
3,504 battles

drive them looking backwards kite i often shoot to get targeted them dodge most incoming shells and with luck my team racks up damage on those shooting at me. Also as you move in torp oncoming red ships coming at you them turn kite away till they stop shooting you then rinse do it again. Its an odd strat but it gets wins 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,974 battles
1 hour ago, Prkl8r said:

If you get close enough to torp, you are going to die, if you don't you will do no damage.

Anybody have any tips?

How low are you talking? Tier 2 or Tier 5?

Tier 2 has a small stealth window from stock without concealment gimmicks and good agility. Use it.

Tier 5 is little if any worse than the Farragut as far as its torpedoes are concerned; guns perhaps not so great until you really learn to hit with them. Abuse cover. Abuse your short smokes to hide just long enough for them to get close, then torp and skedaddle out in some other direction, like a squid using its ink for cover. The strong point with British destroyers is that they lose very little speed in a turn and are very good at evasion. Abuse that too. Also abuse the single-launch torps. By the time you get up to T5, an enemy might lose track of how many you've launched at him and make a misplay that enables you to dump a full rack into him.

Work with friendly ships to act as distractions while you attack from the blind side.

DO NOT treat these ships as any other destroyer you're used to, or you will fail. @Destroyer_KuroshioKai has a bunch of YouTube vids that will add to what I've said and demonstrate how to use them to their fullest.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
169 posts
1,546 battles

Related but unrelated question - 

I'm seeing mixed messages on whether captains you had assigned to RN DDs ahead of patch 7.10 would require re-training or not at patch drop.  Both I had assigned required retraining, but I thought I read somewhere that they would not (I can't seem to find that officially).  

Appreciate some official word here.  I entered a ticket but was told the answer was "no, you need to retrain".  

@Gneisenau013

Edited by CatSnipah

Members
1,668 posts
9,743 battles
1 hour ago, Prkl8r said:

Anybody have any tips?

Since I was summoned.... Here's my RN DD play list.  I will be adding to it as my schedule permits. 

I also have this thread going:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/172890-struggling-finding-your-footing-with-the-rn-dds-get-in-here/

Let me know if you have specific questions.

[-BMV-]
Members
188 posts
13,294 battles
1 hour ago, Prkl8r said:

Anybody have any tips? 

You wait for them to come to you and/or use terrain and ambush anyone close enough to you. The smoke is only good to run. If you can, hug an island for a little and spam He at BBs, they burn rather quickly for decent damage.

23 minutes ago, CatSnipah said:

Related but unrelated question - 

I'm seeing mixed messages on whether captains you had assigned to RN DDs ahead of patch 7.10 would require re-training or not at patch drop.  Both I had assigned required retraining, but I thought I read somewhere that they would not (I can't seem to find that officially).  

Appreciate some official word here.  I entered a ticket but was told the answer was "no, you need to retrain".  

As far as i know, if your captain WAS STILL ASSIGNED to the ship when the patch dropped, (if you didn't sent him to Reserve), it requires retraining.

IF YOU SENT THE CAPTAIN TO THE RESERVE BEFORE the patch dropped it did not required retraining.

This is what i did with my Acasta and Icarus captains, i sent them to the reserve the day before of the patch, and when the update was over, logged in and reassigned them with no retraining at all.

Edited by Sidelock

Members
451 posts
7,842 battles
1 hour ago, mr_angry_eyes said:

I find using terrain to ambush is the best way. Doesn't mean I am great at it though.

So like EVERY other DD then? That begs the question if to be effective you must hump an island then what does RN DD actually bring to the table?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,974 battles
52 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

So like EVERY other DD then? That begs the question if to be effective you must hump an island then what does RN DD actually bring to the table?

Manoeuvre like no other destroyer (with little loss of speed in the turn).

Single-fire torps, so you can only fire as many as you need (e.g. one or two for an AFK cripple needing finishing) and keep the rest back.

Smoke that allows and encourages frequent repositioning, thus forcing a different play-style and bringing something new to the game.

If the US destroyers are the epitome of the camp-in-smoke-and-shoot meta, the British destroyers are the exact opposite. They are characterised very much by what they are NOT, which admittedly makes them a difficult line to get a grip on. But the same thing is true of the British cruisers relative to everything else, because of their smoke and lack of HE shells, and because of a universal heal that begins much lower than for any other CL line.

[WOLF2]
Members
168 posts
13,853 battles

they are useless, especially at high tier

you need IFHE RDF Concealment expert as well for tier 9/10, so 19 point captain is a must have

[DENY]
Members
299 posts
4,429 battles
10 minutes ago, luckyhoho said:

they are useless, especially at high tier

you need IFHE RDF Concealment expert as well for tier 9/10, so 19 point captain is a must have

I wouldn't say useless , I do pretty well in them , the most I did so far in daring is 196k, they require situational awareness more than other DD , they require more skill and brain , which unfortunately a lots of player don't have