Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Paladin1954

Epicenter in Ranked?

17 comments in this topic

[NORUN]
[NORUN]
Beta Testers
11 posts
3,801 battles

Wth is this game mode doing in ranked? WG you just took all the fun out of this season with this bonehead decision.

• Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[H_]
Members
700 posts

Having Epicenter in ranked is outright stupid.

Ranked is suppose to be about tactical skill and all of the "get GuD" silliness one expects of "competitions".....  So, it begs to ask the question what an Arcade play style is being added to the serious maps.....????

I lost a star last night because of the silliness this map generates......or, stupidity this map generates.

Bad decision.

[TDRB]
Members
960 posts
3,700 battles

the silliness this map generates......or, stupidity this map generates.

Silliness &/or stupidity can only be generated by players.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,496 posts
2,061 battles

WG decided to put all the salt in one place.

• Funny 1

[NOBS]
Members
475 posts
5,485 battles

Just played that map with 5 dd's on a side, lol

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

What is the problem? Two Teams enter, One team leaves.

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Ranked is suppose to be about tactical skill and all of the "get GuD" silliness one expects of "competitions".

No it's not, It's more like roulette or a slot machine, not a lot of skill. Ranked is nothing like chess, maybe don't spill the beans though.

• Cool 1

[NGA-R]
Supertester
1,038 posts
5,891 battles
2 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Having Epicenter in ranked is outright stupid.

Ranked is suppose to be about tactical skill and all of the "get GuD" silliness one expects of "competitions".....  So, it begs to ask the question what an Arcade play style is being added to the serious maps.....????

I lost a star last night because of the silliness this map generates......or, stupidity this map generates.

Bad decision.

News Flash..........It is an Arcade game

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

I haven't seen an Epicenter map in Ranked yet, but I have no problem with it at all.  Honestly, I'd be more bothered by Standard mode, which I like in theory, but get annoyed by the current passive meta that players use on Standard mode maps, preferring to hang back and play defense rather than seeking out the enemy and destroying them.  At least with Domination and Epicenter, you're somewhat forced into encountering the enemy.

If I have one gripe about Ranked Sprint and maps is why the hell isn't the Riposte map being used????

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
9,016 battles
17 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I haven't seen an Epicenter map in Ranked yet, but I have no problem with it at all.  Honestly, I'd be more bothered by Standard mode, which I like in theory, but get annoyed by the current passive meta that players use on Standard mode maps, preferring to hang back and play defense rather than seeking out the enemy and destroying them.  At least with Domination and Epicenter, you're somewhat forced into encountering the enemy.

If I have one gripe about Ranked Sprint and maps is why the hell isn't the Riposte map being used????

My guess is that wg had a conscious shift from 2 cap ranked format to 3 cap ranked format. 

Riposte doesn't work for a 3 cap game. It also doesn't work well for an epicenter... 

[TRG]
Members
121 posts
2,552 battles

I liked having the epicenter as a map choice. I won almost all the battles where epicenter came. This map mode discourages sitting at base and farming damage because you are surely going to lose if you do that and the chance of saving your star is less. However I don't know if this was a good choice considering that this seasons is for tier 5 and many players that havent played rank of any format will get to play this one. So they will do mistakes costing their team to lose so its a matter of who does less mistakes. I saw some interesting battles in that map mode and I quite like it.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
21 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

My guess is that wg had a conscious shift from 2 cap ranked format to 3 cap ranked format. 

Riposte doesn't work for a 3 cap game. It also doesn't work well for an epicenter... 

Actually, I think that they're just testing out ideas.  As for Riposte and 3 caps or Epicenter, I disagree.  Oh sure, if you spawn in the same locations as you did when this map was first used, a 3 cap layout would be a little more dodgy.  But change the spawn locations (perhaps to East and West spawns), and they could easily place 3 caps along the center line of the map.  And I see no reason whatsoever that the Epicenter rings couldn't be centered on the middle of the map.  So what if there are a lot of islands that would infringe on the rings.  It would create a lot of ambush opportunities.

I would also love to see Riposte added to the regular random rotation as a mid tier map, maybe with a max battle tier of either 6 or 7.  This would be just about the easiest way to add a "new" map to the mid tier rotation as it wouldn't require an actual new map, though perhaps some  work on spawns and cap locations.

EDIT: Thinking of Riposte and 3 caps, I could see placing the caps at CD4/5, EF4/5, and GH4/5.  Alternatively, I could see the top and bottom caps pushed from the center cap by one grid square to BC4/5 and HI4/5.  And the spawns would be around DEFG 1/2 and DEFG 9/10.  Also, the Epicenter rings could be centered at EF4/5.

Riposte.jpg.60959329802f1f9be383bf28b04c

Thinking of 2 cap vs 3 caps in general, I think that the advantage of 3 caps is this.  With 2 caps, each team can grab a cap (like on the map above, for example) and neither team has a cap points gained advantage.  But with 3 caps, if one team can grab 2 of the 3 caps, they have an advantage in points gained, and it forces the other team to act to deal with that disadvantage they face.  They can either try to take one of the caps away from the enemy, or they can try to sink more enemy ships to reduce the enemy's points lead.  In short, being able to gain a 2 to 1 caps owned advantage creates pressure in the match that would seem to encourage more action, rather than hanging back and waiting for the other team to make mistakes.

Edited by Crucis

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles

Good decision imo.  Make the BBs come out and play.

[TOG]
Members
2,367 posts
14,622 battles

It forces BB's to get close and personal.  A good map for Ca's and DD's.

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
9,016 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Actually, I think that they're just testing out ideas.  As for Riposte and 3 caps or Epicenter, I disagree.  Oh sure, if you spawn in the same locations as you did when this map was first used, a 3 cap layout would be a little more dodgy.  But change the spawn locations (perhaps to East and West spawns), and they could easily place 3 caps along the center line of the map.  And I see no reason whatsoever that the Epicenter rings couldn't be centered on the middle of the map.  So what if there are a lot of islands that would infringe on the rings.  It would create a lot of ambush opportunities.

I would also love to see Riposte added to the regular random rotation as a mid tier map, maybe with a max battle tier of either 6 or 7.  This would be just about the easiest way to add a "new" map to the mid tier rotation as it wouldn't require an actual new map, though perhaps some  work on spawns and cap locations.

EDIT: Thinking of Riposte and 3 caps, I could see placing the caps at CD4/5, EF4/5, and GH4/5.  Alternatively, I could see the top and bottom caps pushed from the center cap by one grid square to BC4/5 and HI4/5.  And the spawns would be around DEFG 1/2 and DEFG 9/10.  Also, the Epicenter rings could be centered at EF4/5.

Riposte.jpg.60959329802f1f9be383bf28b04c

Thinking of 2 cap vs 3 caps in general, I think that the advantage of 3 caps is this.  With 2 caps, each team can grab a cap (like on the map above, for example) and neither team has a cap points gained advantage.  But with 3 caps, if one team can grab 2 of the 3 caps, they have an advantage in points gained, and it forces the other team to act to deal with that disadvantage they face.  They can either try to take one of the caps away from the enemy, or they can try to sink more enemy ships to reduce the enemy's points lead.  In short, being able to gain a 2 to 1 caps owned advantage creates pressure in the match that would seem to encourage more action, rather than hanging back and waiting for the other team to make mistakes.

The 3 cap system in this ranked sprint is different with a line across and would work for riposte, but the 3 cap system from the last 3 ranked seasons and clan battles where they have 1 cap equi distant from both spawns and the 2 offset caps would not work on riposte though. 

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

The 3 cap system in this ranked sprint is different with a line across and would work for riposte, but the 3 cap system from the last 3 ranked seasons and clan battles where they have 1 cap equi distant from both spawns and the 2 offset caps would not work on riposte though. 

I agree, Ducky.  Riposte is a super-mirrored map and doesn't seem well suited to a triangular cap set up, such as you describe.

Sign in to follow this