You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Financial Discipline.

25 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

I buy too many ships, need too much silver for modules, and find it terrifyingly easy to get under a million credits too often.

SO... 

I'm keeping track.

Every ship now has a spreadsheet in my tablet's Excel freeware clone.

One column has XP earned per battle.

One column has money earned per battle (nett after deductions).

One column has captain XP, just because. (I don't keep track of FXP because it's not particular to any one ship or captain.)

One column is text space for notes and comments.

I have a square which sums up all earnings across all battles for each of ship XP and money and subtracts them from the cost for the next stock hull.

If I unlock a B/C hull, torpedo or gun fire control system, I simply put it in as if it were a battle result with negative XP and money, and describe what I bought in the comments column (e.g. -9000 in the XP column, -1.5 million in the earnings column, "B hull" in the comments column, Captain XP blank).

In this way, I hope to ensure that every ship pays its own costs off before I move up. I probably need to tweak the individual ship sheets with the module costs as I create them, or figure the costs in from the start (so the module slots are paid off from the start by the previous ship).

I also created a separate sheet to keep track of my earnings when I play premiums, describing which ship I use and how much nett profit I made. In the end, I will probably do some clever accounting between the two, i.e. I could put negative 125,000 in the Premium General Revenue spreadsheet for one "battle" and positive 125,000 in the spreadsheet for a particular ship to indicate that I paid for Main Battery Mod 1 in the tech tree ship with premium money.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

wow I had no idea how deep you went into this!  AWESOME!  

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles
7 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

wow I had no idea how deep you went into this!  AWESOME!  

Thank you. The dilemma is whether ships currently in my port should pay themselves off, or just swallow the costs incurred so far and pay for their successors, including A hull and all modules.

[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles

I Upgrade and keep all of the ships. Soon I will be able to just work on the newly introduced lines and by soon, I mean after I get past the 11 tier 9's I am grinding and pay for them. I would say easily a year yet. The problem being credits like OP said, I am under 100,000 often.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,704 posts
4,491 battles

This game/company thrives off of addictive personalities and obsessive compulsive disorder to complete a line. Some would call that predatory, others a successful business model. 

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles

I am keeping all the ships as well. I made like 50M silver off of the US cruiser split by having the whole line to Des Moines. I have been hovering around 60-70M as I finished off some of the T6 grinds I have. I have pretty much stopped the grinding to finish off the UK DD, US CV and IJN CV lines to T7. Then all my lines will be T7 or T8. I have set next year's goal as to get 7 more 19pt captains and to 21 T6+ captains to 10+ points. I have already cut down the 10pt captains to 17 I need, so I am getting a bit of a head start on next year's goals. I figure while I concentrate on grinding captains to 19pt, I will grind the tech tree ships they are one, but spend more time in my large premium collection grinding first win bonuses. So I should bank up a lot of silver for when I resume grinding all the lines again.

I have a notepad that I keep my ship info on. I don't break it down like @Ensign_Cthulhu, but I do keep track of what skills each captain has, how much XP to the next cpt point, how much XP to the next ship in the tree and where my various captains will end up permanently assigned.

1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

This game/company thrives off of addictive personalities and obsessive compulsive disorder to complete a line. Some would call that predatory, others a successful business model. 

If you enjoy it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,704 posts
4,491 battles
Just now, Kizarvexis said:

I am keeping all the ships as well. I made like 50M silver off of the US cruiser split by having the whole line to Des Moines. I have been hovering around 60-70M as I finished off some of the T6 grinds I have. I have pretty much stopped the grinding to finish off the UK DD, US CV and IJN CV lines to T7. Then all my lines will be T7 or T8. I have set next year's goal as to get 7 more 19pt captains and to 21 T6+ captains to 10+ points. I have already cut down the 10pt captains to 17 I need, so I am getting a bit of a head start on next year's goals. I figure while I concentrate on grinding captains to 19pt, I will grind the tech tree ships they are one, but spend more time in my large premium collection grinding first win bonuses. So I should bank up a lot of silver for when I resume grinding all the lines again.

I have a notepad that I keep my ship info on. I don't break it down like @Ensign_Cthulhu, but I do keep track of what skills each captain has, how much XP to the next cpt point, how much XP to the next ship in the tree and where my various captains will end up permanently assigned.

If you enjoy it, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Truthfully, I seriously question myself if this game is healthy for me. 

It's like asking a gambler if they enjoy gambling sometimes. There is the rush of a new ship, a new line, then you realize it's a gimped clone, a bad ship, or the game mechanics or MM royally bones you, it's almost "the house always wins" mentality. 

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

It's like asking a gambler if they enjoy gambling sometimes. There is the rush of a new ship, a new line, then you realize it's a gimped clone, a bad ship, or the game mechanics or MM royally bones you, it's almost "the house always wins" mentality. 

Well that is something only you can answer. 

As for the ships being clones, bad ships, MM etc, that doesn't really bother me personally. I look at the T5 & T8 MM problems as a challenge. I have bad ships, Krasny Krym comes to mind, but since I play mostly co-op, it is not that big a deal. I do tend to stay out of a lot of PvP as the stress of it is not healthy for me, but that is just me. PvP is a lot of fun for a lot of people.

[NG-NL]
Members
4,948 posts
8,094 battles

Financial discipline is less of a deal if you have a few premium ships for making money. Atago, Kutuzov, Kidd, Tirpitz, Missouri, and others help a lot, especially if you don't run premium camos.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

Got to call you out on that one. If you're talking in terms of the rush of a new ship or line just because it's new, then likely you're the one with the gambling problem (or an inherent vulnerability to it). I was excited for the British DD line because it's one in which I've long been interested at the historical and technical levels (to Norman Friedman levels or greater), and I'm excited for British carriers for the same reason (pending the CV rework and a desire to actually play the type). But having French destroyers or Russian battleships (apart from pre-dreadnoughts) in the game won't have me running to my laptop in the evenings, and there are plenty of other lines that I'll only ever look at when everything else is done.

1 hour ago, Dr_Venture said:

If you're free to play, as I was for the first six months of this game, it's nothing more than excellent game design winning a loyal fan. You can complete all the tech tree lines without paying a single cent. Some of us like playing with facts and figures and organising, planning and documenting our grinds to the smallest degree; it fits our personalities. You can call it OCD if you like, but at least some of us "obsessives" actually have Asperger syndrome and this is the sort of thing Aspies thrive on. While I'm not making any hard diagnostic calls, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that both iChase and Mouse are somewhere on the spectrum and I'm sure there are others.

Another thing people with Asperger's can exhibit is a bloody-minded relentlessness that won't yield to anything, and that's another trait this game favours by its very nature.

59 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Financial discipline is less of a deal if you have a few premium ships for making money. Atago, Kutuzov, Kidd, Tirpitz, Missouri, and others help a lot, especially if you don't run premium camos.

I will buy permacamo for ships that I like and intend to keep. It's nice to be able to shave a bit off the costs each time, especially if it turns out to be a ship that I do well with in co-op and don't mind taking into randoms occasionally. The Pensacola (for example) never had any point for me - I bypassed it completely by managing to have it in port when the split came - but I've still got nearly 80,000 ship XP on it at T6, while my Leander is pushing 100K and that's AFTER it paid for the Fiji. I have some premiums that I bought when they were very cheap, and so far the only ones I paid full price for are Monaghan, Gallant and Warspite (and the latter two have paid for themselves very well in XP per dollar terms).

I am also very glad I bought the Scharnhorst when she was half price. That thing is hilarious fun in co-op with a BFT and AFT captain; YOLO in, concentrate on using your main guns and torps, and let the automatic gunners vomit secondary shells out both sides with wild abandon. It's even better when you're trying to chase both damage tanking AND secondary hits; I wish I'd dusted her off sooner.

Members
40 posts
543 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

^^This, and the stat tracking is the same way. There''s a reason the game tracks things like win rate down to .01%.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

Getting back on topic (*glares at certain people*), I should add that my list of "premiums" includes tech-tree ships for which I know I'm not going any further up the line, either because I already own the successor or because I've made a conscious decision not to take the line any higher. Helena fitted this description as soon as she got her B hull and weapon systems, because I already had T8 Cleveland (split). Cleveland fits it because I don't WANT to go any higher.

Acasta fits because she was a free unlock and I also have the Icarus above her, but Icarus does NOT count despite being free because I don't yet have the Jervis and the Icarus B-Jervis grind wll be paying for that.

Does all this make sense? Pay attention, boys and girls. There will be an exam on this at the end.:fish_book: :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles

I would do something similar but a) when you play on a team you may not have time to record the battle, b) the game is unstable enough for me that I sometimes lose the result records (mostly from restarting to clear load locks).   No way I could keep a complete record, short of screen-shotting everything...

What do you see for Credit bonuses on Premiums?  We know about Mighty Mo.  What about others?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles
15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I would do something similar but a) when you play on a team you may not have time to record the battle, b) the game is unstable enough for me that I sometimes lose the result records (mostly from restarting to clear load locks).   No way I could keep a complete record, short of screen-shotting everything...

What do you see for Credit bonuses on Premiums?  We know about Mighty Mo.  What about others?

Down the bottom right hand side of the port screen, there is a little i button that lets you look at previous end-of-game screens in the same play session. I don't generally do team play for various reasons, but even if I did and had to play several games in succession without taking notes, I can always go back when I am done playing, bring up the result screens and write it all down. 

I have never found the game to be that unstable for me. Sorry to hear you're having those troubles.

I am not concerned with what the particular bonuses are so much as with noting down how much the battle has made (or sometimes, regrettably, cost) me. It's more trouble to me than it's worth to attempt to datamine those or crack their code; I leave that sort of stuff to LWM and those like her.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,866 posts
2,191 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

in the same play session.

Key.  When you restart you lose the records.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I know. I've never had the sort of trouble you're having. Only thing I might suggest is keeping a running tally of your total credits and noting when you switch ships. Individual ship XP and total credits are always tracked (a couple of recent glitches aside), and it's the sort of information that's easy to note at the start and then back-fill afterwards if things go sour.

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles
19 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I run mxstat after every session.  It reads the log files, analyzes the replays and stores the information in spreadsheet form.  mxstat99 keeps it updated and I have almost complete data on just about every stat. for each ship and battle.  If I import it into Excel, I can even sort or aggregate on multiple stats.

Oddly, with all of this data available and my penchant for analysis, I have chosen to just play for fun.  If credits dip down, I throw on a flag or two and play some of my credit earners that I enjoy.  I have found the advantage to keeping all of the ships I acquire is that I can play whatever ship fits my mood or will complete a mission the easiest and I force myself not to sell a ship to fund another.  Even ships I will probably never play because I find them painful.  (I even had Support restore the Kutuzov I sold for Doubloons.)  Now, on my Steam account, I feel the pain of being short on credits and Doubloons.  Of having to play whatever available to struggle to complete a mission.  The joy of having a five-figure silver balance.  And, it is painful, especially since my main account is a candy store.

The main reason i would caution against too much record keeping, especially for a person with compulsive tendencies like myself, is that it takes the fun/diversion aspect out of the game.  I have decided to take the point of view that a ship pays for itself with the enjoyment it gives me.  For instance, I just took the Salem out for a couple of PvE runs.  It was fun to solo rush (our DM was flanking far right) a DM, Buffalo, and Salem and see how much damage I could do and dodge.  Granted, it is difficult to lose credits in a Salem (still made 6k on that 1 minute, 54k damage escapade), but that was a lot of coal to spend and i doubt whether it would balance out for a long time.x

Try to have fun.  We are never broke for long in this game for long...

Edited by ExploratorOne

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles
1 hour ago, ExploratorOne said:

The main reason i would caution against too much record keeping, especially for a person with compulsive tendencies like myself, is that it takes the fun/diversion aspect out of the game.  I have decided to take the point of view that a ship pays for itself with the enjoyment it gives me

Ultimately I agree, but right now I need a bit of a credit buffer and this is a way of ensuring I don't run low. At the end of the day, I enjoy most of the ships I'm currently grinding and it's no imposition to grind them a bit longer until they've paid for themselves. And I'm the sort of person who enjoys keeping records on things. I want to be in the situation where I could buy any ship in the game with all its modules and free XP/install all its B hull options without having to sweat the cost, that means having at least 30 million in the bank at any one time, and that means making some sort of effort to keep an eye on my spending.

1 hour ago, ExploratorOne said:

that was a lot of coal to spend and i doubt whether it would balance out for a long time.

Meh. Coal is but a means to an end, and if the end you're looking to is a premium Tier 10 ship with VERY low service and repair costs then it's a worthwhile trade. It's free to obtain from normal gameplay, unless you were one of those people who spam-bought Go Navy crates to get the coal for Salem that way - an egregiously expensive, albeit very fast, way to win a premium ship.

I found a lot of other things to spend my coal on since it first came out and I am happy with all of them, but maybe now it's time to start planning for the long haul. Up until now I'd never considered something like Salem appropriate to my needs or capabilities, but the tide is turning on that one. By the time I can save up a quarter-million coal, I'll probably be ready for a Tier 10 CA or whatever else they're offering at the time.

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Ultimately I agree, but right now I need a bit of a credit buffer and this is a way of ensuring I don't run low. At the end of the day, I enjoy most of the ships I'm currently grinding and it's no imposition to grind them a bit longer until they've paid for themselves. And I'm the sort of person who enjoys keeping records on things. I want to be in the situation where I could buy any ship in the game with all its modules and free XP/install all its B hull options without having to sweat the cost, that means having at least 30 million in the bank at any one time, and that means making some sort of effort to keep an eye on my spending.

Meh. Coal is but a means to an end, and if the end you're looking to is a premium Tier 10 ship with VERY low service and repair costs then it's a worthwhile trade. It's free to obtain from normal gameplay, unless you were one of those people who spam-bought Go Navy crates to get the coal for Salem that way - an egregiously expensive, albeit very fast, way to win a premium ship.

I found a lot of other things to spend my coal on since it first came out and I am happy with all of them, but maybe now it's time to start planning for the long haul. Up until now I'd never considered something like Salem appropriate to my needs or capabilities, but the tide is turning on that one. By the time I can save up a quarter-million coal, I'll probably be ready for a Tier 10 CA or whatever else they're offering at the time.

The Anniversary buying spree took me down below 10k silver, so I know about needing a buffer, LOL. Almost to 20M, so I feel a bit better now.

I never thought I would get the Salem myself.  Was working towards the Musashi on coal and Free XP and started getting a lot of coal from missions.  Then I noticed the coupon cut the price to 178 coal and I hung on a bit longer.  Had 750 FreeXP for Musashi, but spent it finishing up Tier Xs for the Anniversary SCs.  Now I am back to 800 FreeXP, but wonder if the Musashi is worth it, since I am not a fan of the IJN line.  But I do like playing the Yammy on the PTS.

As an aside, I don't know what happened over the last year with my earning capacity.  This time last year I was still struggling to make ends meet with silver in WOWS.  This year there seems to be no problem with my earning silver and FreeXP.  I don't think I have gotten a lot better in the git-gud category and have been playing a lot of tech tree ships and PvE (too much).  Maybe I am getting better at doing the right damage to the correct ships.  It just seems easier to earn credits and XP now.

[4HIM]
Members
1,698 posts
3,861 battles
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am also very glad I bought the Scharnhorst when she was half price. That thing is hilarious fun in co-op with a BFT and AFT captain; YOLO in, concentrate on using your main guns and torps, and let the automatic gunners vomit secondary shells out both sides with wild abandon. It's even better when you're trying to chase both damage tanking AND secondary hits; I wish I'd dusted her off sooner.

It used to be THE ship to use in Ultimate Frontier, before WG gave the player community the Jersey Salute and all the bots got napalm hoses for guns.  The Shiny Horse is a great ship.  

[INTEL]
Members
737 posts
7,848 battles

Luckily I dont suffer from that kinda OCD. lol

I don't grind ships or lines, I simply play what I like and occasionally work on a ship that hasn't been elited yet. This works out perfect from a credit standpoint. My favorite ships for randoms are Sims, Leningrad, Musashi, Belfast, and GC. First National Bank of Missouri in a Co-op can pull down a couple hundred $K without flags on occasion. Then there's a fair bit of Scenerio play where its very hard to not rack up a tidy chunk of change.

Current Balance: 341,571,354cr

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

One thing I had forgotten to count into the financial balance up until now was the benefit to be had from selling ships I am not keeping. So once they have paid off their own hull and upgrade module costs, the sale price turns a healthy little profit... or enables them to pay off into retirement a bit early if they have accumulated the ship XP necessary for the uptiering and I am happy for them to go out being financially "neutral". 

[-TKS-]
Members
281 posts
5,522 battles

Some of you guys get deeply involved in it do you guys have premium accounts?  My method is simple dont buy a ship till you have 2x its cost. be it silver  or a combo of xp/fxp . Dont have to worry too much even less since i got premium account . 

[WOLF6]
Members
660 posts
3,553 battles

Did I miss the link to the spreadsheet?  I can’t seem to find it

i also made up a spreadsheet and I’m tracking XP, credits, commander XP captain skills

after spending virtually most of my woes “career” playing premiums and the US tech tree.  I find that I need to get my tech tree ships up to at least tier 5 so that I can work on missions when I play.   So finally finished tier 3 and have 3 ships left at tier 4 then I get to start the work at tier 5.

i keep a 200million credit buffer.   I’ve calculated that some of those tier 9/10 ships I’ll need an average of 20-25 million credits to purchase, upgrade modules and mount equipment....  so 200 million is not much.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles
6 hours ago, wtfovr said:

Did I miss the link to the spreadsheet?  I can’t seem to find it

i also made up a spreadsheet and I’m tracking XP, credits, commander XP captain skills

after spending virtually most of my woes “career” playing premiums and the US tech tree.  I find that I need to get my tech tree ships up to at least tier 5 so that I can work on missions when I play.   So finally finished tier 3 and have 3 ships left at tier 4 then I get to start the work at tier 5.

i keep a 200million credit buffer.   I’ve calculated that some of those tier 9/10 ships I’ll need an average of 20-25 million credits to purchase, upgrade modules and mount equipment....  so 200 million is not much.

You didn't miss it; I didn't link it. I have one for each ship. Someday I may consolidate them, but for now it's easier this way. My spreadsheet program is freeware and is... difficult and peculiar. More like Microsoft's ancient Multiplan (for DOS 2.0) than its great grandchild Excel.