Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GiN_nTonic

Wichita - no angle?

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
727 posts
5,831 battles

I just played against the Wichita and was surprised to see its AP basically can't be angled against.  I was in a tier above and it was knife through butter.  Made no difference what angle...not to say anything about the fact it can't be spotted.

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
166 posts
8,128 battles

Wichita's AP characteristics are no different from Des Moines, Buffalo, Baltimore, and any other USN CA that carries heavy AP shells.

• Cool 1

[BANG_]
Members
92 posts
834 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralHattori said:

Wichita's AP characteristics are no different from Des Moines, Buffalo, Baltimore, and any other USN CA that carries heavy AP shells.

Where is your proof?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[KNTI2]
[KNTI2]
Members
166 posts
8,128 battles
31 minutes ago, iOSDeveloper said:

Where is your proof?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

Scroll down to Armor Piercing and there will be a table that shows the ricochet angle. You can see how the RN and USN Heavy CA get special AP behaviors. Make sure to not miss the first turn or you'll have to make a turn on the Third Reich and U-turn back to the table.

Edited by AdmiralHattori

[DRACS]
Members
3,339 posts
1 hour ago, GiN_nTonic said:

I just played against the Wichita and was surprised to see its AP basically can't be angled against.  I was in a tier above and it was knife through butter.  Made no difference what angle...not to say anything about the fact it can't be spotted.

Welcome to USN heavy cruiser AP. It's wonderful and soaked in salty tears.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,201 posts
6,433 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralHattori said:

any other USN CA that carries heavy AP shells.

Interestingly enough every USN Cruiser with 203mm shells has those autobounce angles, so Pensacola, Indianapolis and New Orleans do as well, even if historically their AP shells were not that special. 

Beta Testers
727 posts
5,831 battles
2 hours ago, iOSDeveloper said:

Where is your proof?

I dont have video of the game - but here is a popular contributor saying the same thing.

Beta Testers
727 posts
5,831 battles
51 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Welcome to USN heavy cruiser AP. It's wonderful and soaked in salty tears.

Yeah, well combined with 8.7Km concealment (less than a light cruiser) and things get "absurd" (Flamu's words).  He had 15 citadels in the game above...one of them coming against an angled (t.10) Hindi at the end.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

All the USN CAs have the special bounce angles, but not necessarily the SHS AP, that's on the Tier VIII+ ones.  Still, Pensacola, Indianapolis, NOLA guns are very dangerous against Cruisers.

Flamu mentions Wichita has the Mk21 AP shells, which are the same ones found on Baltimore, Buffalo, Des Memes, Salem.  Comparing Wichita's AP to Atago and Prinz Eugen.

6DGGHs3.jpg

The US Navy liked heavy shells for the big guns on their CAs and BBs.

Sign in to follow this