You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
APA_204

Any early reports on the tier 5 ranked games?

62 comments in this topic

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

Curious to learn of what is going on there and how the division play is working out. I realize there is room for possible overloads for some clans but in general it seems like it should be awesome, or at least I hope so!

Lotta cv's? Kami's? Gulios? CV Texas combos?

[WOLF1]
Members
76 posts
4,012 battles

Up to rank 5 and pretty much breezed there with the okhotnik, saw a few other ok's, but overall a lot of variety and a lot of poor play but a lot lower stress as well.

• Cool 1

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
3 minutes ago, blammo_2017 said:

Up to rank 5 and pretty much breezed there with the okhotnik, saw a few other ok's, but overall a lot of variety and a lot of poor play but a lot lower stress as well.

nothing wrong with that. grats

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Early afternoon (EST) play was abysmal. Last hour it improved markedly. looks like unicums are coming in.

Saw few CVs. Lots of Texas and Giulio. Many Kamis, and a few Okhotniks vut mostly Nicholas and Podvoisky. I play Gremy mostly.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

Played solo for two games, looking forward to some div games.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
1 minute ago, alexf24 said:

Early afternoon (EST) play was abysmal. Last hour it improved markedly. looks like unicums are coming in.

Saw few CVs. Lots of Texas and Giulio. Many Kamis, and a few Okhotniks vut mostly Nicholas and Podvoisky. I play Gremy mostly.

lols, more like guys that have a job are getting off work...only two under my belt, but Giulio's and an assortment of dds, 

planning on going Furrytaco myself.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I would like to see better rewards.  Playing higher tiers always yields more free xp and elite captain xp than playing lower tiers, especially if permanent camouflage is available.  I consider free xp to be very rewarding for multiple reasons.  Playing tier 5 to the detriment of spending time in higher tiers lowers your rewards significantly, and I don't see worthy compensation offered for this mini ranked experiment.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
14,841 battles
1 minute ago, SWANK_BOWZER said:

are a lot of folks bringing CVs?

not really only had them in two battles and they weren't very effective 

[FTWRK]
Beta Testers
19 posts
2,537 battles

I don't have Cesare or Kami or Gremy, so I'd really like to use Furutaka but then I have to retrain my new Yamamoto to her and either blow doubloons or a ton of elite XP on retraining just for this short time, which is hard to justify, especially with the abovementioned weak rewards. Likewise for DDs, I don't really want to retrain my Fletcher captain to Nicholas and back to Fletcher, I'd probably have to just use a spare 10 point captain.

Perhaps the best choice would be to buy Okhotnik and stick my Ognevoi captain on her (and carry out retraining to Udaloi while I'm at it) but of course they don't have Okhotnik available for doubloons right now so I'd have to drop cash.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
173 posts
1,546 battles

Lots of folks appear to be “crew training” their 15+ point captains. 

:Smile_teethhappy:

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
1 hour ago, APA_204 said:

Curious to learn of what is going on there and how the division play is working out. I realize there is room for possible overloads for some clans but in general it seems like it should be awesome, or at least I hope so!

So far it's less toxic with 10x more potatoes. So, you either hard carry or you lose badly (or both, already had a 110k damage 3 kill GC game I lost anyway because no one got caps). There are less ranks, less games to rank up, and way more irrevocable ones with far lower rewards than real ranked.

I've already talked to at least one guy in a game who was like "what's ranked?" so there are people who have no idea but see something different. To be fair, the info screen really only tells you some of the rules which mostly only make sense if you're already familiar with ranked. You'll notice it doesn't say jack about how many games you need to win, what happens if you lose, what the maps are, why even play, etc. It's overall way less information than is presented on, say, an Operations information screen.

Capture.thumb.PNG.25b4ef5094f772fc291622ee9ad238f1.PNG

Edited by w4spl3g
  • Cool 1

[STW-N]
Members
219 posts
7,619 battles

I'm playing in an 8 point captain in a Murmansk right now brohans and I'm having fun. I'll see you out there please don't shoot at me brohans have a great night.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[CUTE]
Members
155 posts
12,402 battles
1 hour ago, APA_204 said:

The first ranked game I played in today was in the Emile Bertin.  Enemy team had a Gulio and  Kamikaze.  My opening salvo on the Kamikaze slapped him for ~3k and perma destroyed one of his torp tubes.  Later, the Gulio detonated.  Kind of an amusing start if I have to be honest.

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
346 posts
8,441 battles

So far very few divisions but that may change with prime time hours now in operation. I ranked out with about 5 losses total. Took about 6 hours. I used a 14 point Kamikaze, which felt really under powered since the guns are bad, for ranks 10-4. Then used 10 point captain ARP Kongo from rank 4 to finish. I was able to get many high calibers on the way to rank 1 with the Kongo. Matches are slower with more chances to come back from a mistake. As predicted Gremmy and Gulio Ceasare are both great ships in the format. Kongo worked well for me but your mileage may very. Cruisers are pretty worthless because their concealment is about the same as the battleships so you may as well just use a battleship if your not using a destroyer.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
14,841 battles

I noticed there seems a lot less salt in this mini rank then normal rank 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,763 posts
6,737 battles
2 hours ago, APA_204 said:

Few CVs, and they're relatively easy to avoid. 

Lots of Kamis/Minekazes/Gremmys (didn't even realize this many players had them). And yeah, a good amount of GCs.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,763 posts
6,737 battles
43 minutes ago, Nimnthor said:

Perhaps the best choice would be to buy Okhotnik

The map Straight comes up a quite a bit, and you're extremely gimped as an Okhotnik there, when you contest middle cap.

[HEROS]
Members
1,410 posts
11,837 battles

well doing good so far, hitting a bit of a road block at rank 5

Running Oct. Rev, Kongo,  Furutaka  Acasta, and a Minikaze..  Doing best with Oct Rev and Furutaka...

Season of the brawling BB's and having a lot of fun.. some issues with poor target selection on some teams..and had one match where players just would not commit..that was ugly...

Kill the little ships first and the BB's will follow once you strip their support away.  

Seeing lots of Guilio's C's  seem to be very popular.  Surprising how few Konig's I've seen...  

This really is a fun tier for this..

Keep on plugg'n!

Warlord sends

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
7 minutes ago, MackDye said:

So far very few divisions but that may change with prime time hours now in operation. I ranked out with about 5 losses total. Took about 6 hours. I used a 14 point Kamikaze, which felt really under powered since the guns are bad, for ranks 10-4. Then used 10 point captain ARP Kongo from rank 4 to finish. I was able to get many high calibers on the way to rank 1 with the Kongo. Matches are slower with more chances to come back from a mistake. As predicted Gremmy and Gulio Ceasare are both great ships in the format. Kongo worked well for me but your mileage may very. Cruisers are pretty worthless because their concealment is about the same as the battleships so you may as well just use a battleship if your not using a destroyer.

Grats on being done but bummed that it can be done so quickly.

Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles
6 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

I noticed there seems a lot less salt in this mini rank then normal rank 

which is awesome, I think most would agree.  A ranked season that is more fun than serious...I think everyone can get on board with that.

• Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles

Seems like fun, playing mostly Okt R, doing well. Hi Cal seems easy to get given the small teams and low health pools. The DD play is very erratic, but cruisers are screwed because most games feat 3-4 BBs and the ranges of 12-14 kms are perfect for easy cits. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
711 posts
5,200 battles

Ran Gremy in my first match and we only won by running out the points because of potatoes, so got into a Texas next match and we only because I was able to carry potatoes with several citadels and a high caliber. Trying to make up my mine if I want to keep going.