Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shannon_Lindsey

CV rework observation: fighters

4 comments in this topic

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
148 posts
4,896 battles

From the time I saw the first videos of the CV rework, I had many questions, most of which I have posted about in here many times already, but one I hadn't talked about much was the use of fighters in the new system. Functionally, fighters are now like a spot deployable version of the catapult fighter, with two uses for each or your plane squads for 6 total uses. I only had time to do one battle today, and my drops in the new system were terrible and will take time for me to get used to, but one thing I think I really surprised the enemy CVs with was my strategic deployment of my fighters. If you deploy your fighters to the right place, they can be surprisingly effective at killing enemy planes. I was grinning ear to ear when I heard the familiar sound of plane ribbons popping when an enemy strike squad flew into my air defense bubble. Basically, there is still a way the CVs interact with each other, and it is a very strategic element that many have been overlooking in their analysis.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey
Grammar

[NUWES]
Members
1,635 posts
5,480 battles
20 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

From the time I saw the first videos of the CV rework, I had many questions, most of which I have posted about in here many times already, but one I hadn't talked about much was the use of fighters in the new system. Functionally, fighters are now like a spot deployable version of the catapult fighter, with two uses for each or your plane squads for 6 total uses. I only had time to do one battle today, and my drops in the new system were terrible and will take time for me to get used to, but one thing I think I really surprised the enemy CVs with was my strategic deployment of my fighters. If you deploy your fighters to the right place, they can be surprisingly effective at killing enemy planes. I was grinning ear to ear when I heard the familiar sound of plane ribbons popping when an enemy strike squad flew into my air defense bubble. Basically, there is still a way the CVs interact with each other, and it is a very strategic element that many have been overlooking in their analysis.

I'm actually fine with this, but I really think they should also allow the rocket-armed controllable fighters to engage enemy aircraft as well and strafe with rockets if the opportunity presents itself. 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,572 posts
3,893 battles
53 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

and strafe with rockets

That's exactly what they do.  A strafe, in combat aircraft parlance, has always referred to an air attack against a ground target.  The mechanic that WG introduced should never have used that word for it's name.

I mean, even in FPS terms, it refers to attacking while moving laterally.  It was simply a very bad choice of word to use from the get go for that particular mechanic.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,637 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

I'm actually fine with this, but I really think they should also allow the rocket-armed controllable fighters to engage enemy aircraft as well and strafe with rockets if the opportunity presents itself. 

They already use the rockets in their proper role in air to ground/ship attacks. Air to air rocket use was predominantly a late-war German tactic against B17/24 bomber formations.

Sign in to follow this