Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CagedThunder

Which Premiums to add to my wish list?

12 comments in this topic

Members
101 posts
5 battles

I have a bunch of the removed ships on my list of course. i will probably never buy half the ships on my wishlist.  Only one I really have confirmed on my wish list outside of those removed  atm is the De Grasse. Only premiums I own that I didn't get for free are T-61 and HSF Graf Spee.

I have been thinking about which tier 8 BB to add to my wish list but can't choose between Roma or Gascgone. Kii, Tipirtz, Alabama, and Mass being so similar to the line ships they hold less interest for me. And arguably I think I might prefer NC or Amagi to Alabama/Mass and Kii anyway.

So Gascogne or Roma? I have read LWM reviews on both but had a hard time separating them. Which is more fun and which is the more competitive ship in your opinion?

Other ships I'm thinking about add are the Haida, Perth, Okhotnik, Blys, and Loyang. Any of these stand out as being particularly worth getting vs the others? i just don't know much about the Perth, Blys, Okhotnik, or Haida. Loyang I'm kinda concerned it is kinda just a Mahan with 1 less gun and 5.5 km hydro. Neither the torps or guns seems impressive being low grade US variety. Concealment is average at best also. I talk myself out of getting the Loyang pretty easy see?

I'm pretty flexible with my play style and just prefer that if I do buy a ship they be rather on the OP/very good side. If i were to pay money no point in getting a ship that is just average strength of a free line ship.

Edited by CagedThunder

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,984 battles
4 minutes ago, CagedThunder said:

Loyang I'm kinda concerned it is kinda just a Mahan with 1 less gun and 5.5 km hydro.

Lo Yang is a modified Benson (Tier 8), not a Mahan (Tier 7).  IIRC she actually IS the USS Benson, renamed in Taiwanese service. Plenty of people developed an enthusiasm for German hydro on a US hull and did filthy things with it in Ranked a couple of seasons back; it was all the rage.

Being a Pan-Asian PREMIUM destroyer, her torpedoes hit everything. They are not Deep-water.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
101 posts
5 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Lo Yang is a modified Benson (Tier 8), not a Mahan (Tier 7).  IIRC she actually IS the USS Benson, renamed in Taiwanese service. Plenty of people developed an enthusiasm for German hydro on a US hull and did filthy things with it in Ranked a couple of seasons back; it was all the rage.

Ok, it has the same torps as the mahan tho that do 11k damage. Not the  9.2km 16k dmg ones of the Benson. At least according to globak.wiki. And it has 1 less gun.

It might be better than the Benson because of its nice radar but it seems to give up plenty in return. Ultimately not really OP enough to justify buying when I look at it on paper. Comparing it to the Z-23 Loyang has better smoke, 1 knot more speed, .5 km range extra in hydro, and .4 km lower concealment for no speed boost, clearly worse guns and especially worse torpedoes. Maybe the Loyang comes out on top over all but it feels very marginal and situational. Not something to justify like $38 bucks on?

Also is there a reason is was all the rage a few seasons ago in ranked and not recently? I'm just concerned Loyang is 'hydro or bust' sorta being kinda underwhelming everywhere else. Also I'm not a fan of slow US torps or USN guns arcs either... so when I look beyond the hydro I see mostly only negatives vis a vis other tier 8 DDs. 

Edited by CagedThunder

[SHAFT]
Members
166 posts
10,011 battles

Lo Yang is nice. My personal fave premium dd is my Leningrad.

Workable torps (8K), great speed and enough fairly accurate guns that you can make any other ship type regret their choices.

I run CE on the captain, which gives it a fairly decent concealment for its tier.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
3,918 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IIRC she actually IS the USS Benson,

Well, one was, but there were actually two ROCS Lo Yangs.  The other one was an Allen M. Sumner-class, which I think is a bit closer to Mahan, but it's been a while since I last looked at this.  And I've already proven I suck at anything truly historical related to these forums...

You're 100% correct about the in-game Lo Yang, but OP's confusion is certainly understandable.

[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles

Can't speak to the two BBs you are choosing between. I'm not planning on going up the French BB line anytime soon and there isn't an Italian BB line, and if I'm going to spend a bunch of money for a single ship it had better be able to be a retrainer. Actually the same thing applies to the other ships you're interested in, again the lack of retraining has made me either not buy them or own them and not use them.

I'll second what Rabin69 said above though. The Leningrad is in a close race for my favorite premium DD with T-61. It has a much more balanced playstyle compared to T-61 though and with all the speed additions including burst it can get close to 50 knots. With WD-40 on the turrets they aren't so slow that you can't knife fight and with the speed I can throttle up and down and shake the other captains aim up enough that I usually win a 1 on 1 battle, typically with a decent amount of health left. I know it wasn't on your list but it's a really fun DD and you're also at a tier where you won't get stuck in T10 battles non-stop.

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers
154 posts
6,414 battles

Of the T8 BB's you mentioned I have the Roma and Tirpitz. Not terribly good with either but Roma is a disappointment, I would recommend the Tirpitz.

However, the Guilio Cesare at T5 is pure joy to me, if you don' t have I would definitely give it a look.

GL, HF, GH

[SIM]
Members
2,447 posts
4,080 battles

I have found the Roma to be a more comfortable ship than (and superior performer to) Gascogne. They both have similar issues with their weapons overpenetrating certain targets, but where Gascogne has superior range, Roma has a more conventional and effective gun layout. Roma also edges out Gascogne in concealment, I believe. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,984 battles
20 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

The other one was an Allen M. Sumner-class, which I think is a bit closer to Mahan,

No. The Sumners are the immediate predecessors from which the Gearings were developed.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
3,918 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No. The Sumners are the immediate predecessors from which the Gearings were developed.

Covered.

29 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

I've already proven I suck at anything truly historical related to these forums...

[PLPT]
Members
65 posts
4,515 battles

As far as the DDs, I would absolutely recommend the Haida. One of the best stealth ratings in her mm spread, hard hitting guns, creeping smoke and single fire torps. If you like to play aggressive in dds, she's the ship for you.

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,713 posts
4,699 battles

I can't recommend the Viking longboat of doom... err...  Okhotnik enough.  It's nothing special, it's absurd length is a hassle, but it's just fun. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this