You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
alpha48

Sims Y turret armor only 1 MM thick?

4 comments in this topic

[NAVY]
[NAVY]
Members
1 post
1,563 battles

Not sure if it's been looked at recently but I have noticed that the Y turret of the Sims has only 1 mm of armor on its top, opposed to the 20MM that we find on the other A, B & Z turrets on their entire circumference.

In fact, I cannot find any other example of the armor being so thin on any ship I own. I think this is historically inaccurate, improbable and also will allow for this turret to be vulnerable to damage. I know it's a minor thing but it still wanted to bring this up and see if it is an actual mistake.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,600 posts
13,148 battles

Lot of those rear turrets were covered in  Canvas or really light metal just keep the weather out And not for any protection value

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,703 posts
11,317 battles

^

Look at the model. It's not covered completely in metal like the others but has a canvas top. 

[HELLS]
Members
1,683 posts
15,121 battles

Canvas dodgers to keep the wet out and save topweight. The entire class had stability issues that would have resulted in their removal from service or major reconstruction in the RN. You could not upgrade the AA or ASW on these ships without removing at least one set of torpedo tubes, the stability margin was too low. At the time of their construction the main fire control was too high up in the ship, much like in the early Bensons and Fletchers. BuOrd rejected a call to lower the height by 5 feet as a weight saving measure to improve stability. Too much was attempted on a small DD hull in order to build more DDs under the treaty DD tonnage restrictions in effect when they were designed.

If you think that was bad. check out the horror story of IJN DDs from the Fubuki class onwards as a result of the Third Fleet Incident in the mid-1930s. The IJN reconstructed 4 entire classes to solve the stability issues caused by the Naval General Staff insisting on overarming their new DDs to meet staff requirements at the design phase, attempting too much on a small hull, with resulting stability and seaworthiness issues.