Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
wjp120

How do I deselect a target for AA / secondaries?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
34 posts
2,110 battles

I can select an aircraft to focus AA on with CTRL-click, but how do I deselect that target if I want AA to go back to normal automatic mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,692
[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles
5 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

I can select an aircraft to focus AA on with CTRL-click, but how do I deselect that target if I want AA to go back to normal automatic mode?

P disables AA and secondaries, it will turn on again when you press p again or CTRL and select another Target. You might be able to deselect just by clicking it again.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,017
[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
6 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

I can select an aircraft to focus AA on with CTRL-click, but how do I deselect that target if I want AA to go back to normal automatic mode?

 

Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

P disables AA and secondaries, it will turn on again when you press p again or CTRL select another Target. You might be able to deselect just by clicking it again.

This ^^^

 

The wiki doesn't say how to de-select.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat#Anti-Air_.28AA.29_Defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
467
[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,264 posts
24,871 battles

Is there really a reason to de-select an AA target so that no target is selected at all?  I'm not trying to be an a-hole here.  Is there something I've been missing?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,017
[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
Just now, Patton5150 said:

Is there really a reason to de-select an AA target so that no target is selected at all?  I'm not trying to be an a-hole here.  Is there something I've been missing?

When you do not have a target selected, the default is for the AA to shoot torp bombers with payload, dive bombers with payload, torp bombers without payload, dive bombers without payload and then fighters. By selecting the group, no only to you get the focus bonus +30% AA DPS, but you make the targetted squadron jump to the top of the list of priorities for the AA guns. So you might want to deselect it to go back to the default. When I'm next in game, I will try to deselect to see what it is you have to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
34 posts
2,110 battles
51 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Is there really a reason to de-select an AA target so that no target is selected at all?  I'm not trying to be an a-hole here.  Is there something I've been missing?

Mostly because after the selected one flies away(if it survives), I'd like to de-clutter my interface so it's easier for me to notice incoming important AA targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,017
[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
27 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

Mostly because after the selected one flies away(if it survives), I'd like to de-clutter my interface so it's easier for me to notice incoming important AA targets.

 

from the wiki

Quote

Target selection


By default, AA will prefer targets in this order:

Torpedo bombers (with payload)
Dive bombers (with payload)
Torpedo bombers (without payload)
Dive bombers (without payload)
Fighters


A particular enemy squadron can be targeted by Ctrl-clicking. This will cause the AA guns to prefer that squadron over all other targets, as well as giving a 30% DPS bonus. The Manual Control for Anti-Aircraft captain skill gives a +100% DPS bonus to AA guns of 85 mm or larger against a manually designated target.

It jumps that squadron to the top of the queue, but the AA guns will still shoot the other planes, especially once it is out of range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

When you do not have a target selected, the default is for the AA to shoot torp bombers with payload, dive bombers with payload, torp bombers without payload, dive bombers without payload and then fighters. By selecting the group, no only to you get the focus bonus +30% AA DPS, but you make the targetted squadron jump to the top of the list of priorities for the AA guns. So you might want to deselect it to go back to the default. When I'm next in game, I will try to deselect to see what it is you have to do.

Wait....is this a thing even without manual targeted AA? And is there an equivalent for manually selecting a secondary target without having manual secondaries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,541 posts
704 battles
1 minute ago, LubzinNJ said:

Wait....is this a thing even without manual targeted AA? And is there an equivalent for manually selecting a secondary target without having manual secondaries?

I believe it is control [right click] while holding the cursor over the target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
[TOG]
Members
2,408 posts
14,675 battles
8 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Wait....is this a thing even without manual targeted AA? And is there an equivalent for manually selecting a secondary target without having manual secondaries?

Yes, there is a default priority target selection.

Select a priority target w/o manual secondaries and chances of shooting down a plane goes up by a factor of 1.3. It goes 2.0 with manual seondary/AA CO skill.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Yes, there is a default priority target selection.

Select a priority target w/o manual secondaries and chances of shooting down a plane goes up by a factor of 1.3. It goes 2.0 with manual manual.

Son of a.......over 5K battles and I never knew this.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
[TOG]
Members
2,408 posts
14,675 battles
1 minute ago, LubzinNJ said:

Son of a.......over 5K battles and I never knew this.

And knowledge is half the battle!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

And knowledge is half the battle!

The other half is a 50/50 split of red and blue lasers

Spoiler

knowing.png?fit=575,551

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,017
[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
9 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Wait....is this a thing even without manual targeted AA? And is there an equivalent for manually selecting a secondary target without having manual secondaries?

Yes to both, but they both work differently.

Without MFCAA, you get a +30% buff to AA and it puts the squadron to the top of the list of priority targets. With MFCAA, the DPS buff is +100%. So a 100 DPS goes to 130 without MFCAA and to 200 DPS with MFCAA.

Quote

Target selection
By default, AA will prefer targets in this order:

Torpedo bombers (with payload)
Dive bombers (with payload)
Torpedo bombers (without payload)
Dive bombers (without payload)
Fighters


A particular enemy squadron can be targeted by Ctrl-clicking. This will cause the AA guns to prefer that squadron over all other targets, as well as giving a 30% DPS bonus. The Manual Control for Anti-Aircraft captain skill gives a +100% DPS bonus to AA guns of 85 mm or larger against a manually designated target.

Ship AA wiki - http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Aerial_Combat#Anti-Air_.28AA.29_Defense

 

For secondaries, there is no buff, but instead of shooting the closest ship, it shoots the ship you selected. So if a cruiser and a DD are in secondary range with the cruiser closer to you and you want to shoot the DD with secondaries, you have to click the DD for the secondaries to not shoot the closer cruiser instead. If you have MFCSA, you have to select a target for the secondaries to shoot it and you can only select one, no matter the side. Without MFCSA, the secondaries will automatically fire from both sides of the ship at the closest ship, although you can pick on ship further away for the secondaries on that side to shoot at.

Quote

 

Mechanics


When an enemy ship gets within a specific range — displayed under the Artillery tab in the ship details in Port — the secondary battery guns that can engage will automatically turn to fire at that enemy ship. Because they are not player-controlled, secondary battery guns are highly inaccurate and misses are more prominent than hits. 

If there are multiple targets on one side of a ship, the nearest target will be automatically selected. Captains can hold CTRL and left click with their mouse to to focus an enemy target for their secondary battery; this will order the guns to focus that target regardless of range. Unlike anti-aircraft guns, selecting a focus target for the secondary battery provides no bonuses of any type. (The commander skill Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament changes this mechanic. See below for more information.)

If there are targets on both sides of a ship, the guns on each side will engage the nearest target. Only one target can be manually selected, regardless of which side of the ship they are on.

 

Secondary guns wiki - http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Secondary_Armament

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
34 posts
2,110 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

 

from the wiki

It jumps that squadron to the top of the queue, but the AA guns will still shoot the other planes, especially once it is out of range.

I know that, and it has nothing to do with the post of mine you quoted so you could make this response. I'm confused as to what connection you drew between my desire to unclutter my UI and the mechanics of how AA works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,017
[PVE]
Members
9,066 posts
7,315 battles
3 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

I know that, and it has nothing to do with the post of mine you quoted so you could make this response. I'm confused as to what connection you drew between my desire to unclutter my UI and the mechanics of how AA works?

Just saying that as new targets come in, the default targeting still works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
34 posts
2,110 battles
18 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Just saying that as new targets come in, the default targeting still works.

Yes, but you quoted a post of mine when you posted that information, and I'm still confused as to what connection you made between my quote and the information you posted? Other than that they are both about different aspects of manual control of AA. The info you quoted is about the game mechanics, and what I posted is only about the visible part of the UI when the selected plane is out of range.

 

Did you mean to make a connection between those two things? Your post was framed as a response to me, since you quoted me, but if it wasn't then I guess I can stop being confused?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×