Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Sorry WG have to pass again - #8 crates WAY too expensive

113 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,056
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,385 posts
10,165 battles

I hate to pile on WG as they have taken a lot of shots recently but what the bloody hell are they thinking with 24 crates at $100 USD????? Even with the decent rewards in the crates (10X camo and flags, collection pieces, and a chance at missions for ships and #8) these are crazy expensive. Most expensive p/ crate I have seen offered since I started the game. These are right there with the overpriced Freedom crates which I also passed on. 

I am all for a company making profit and such but this is just ridiculous. Sorry WG this wallet warrior/whale is keeping his wallet closed again. I had planned on buying some for the flags as my stock pile is getting low but not at those prices. You guys have been getting out of control with the price on these premium crates. It is time to reign it in. If the price is $100 USD you need 50-60 crates included AND with good content (these have good content but just too $$$).

Just wow. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
580
[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,433 battles

I will be passing on this rip off also! The doubloon bonus ripoff soured me and locked my CC away! 

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44
[WOLF2]
Members
121 posts
4,593 battles
2 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I will be passing on this rip off also! The doubloon bonus ripoff soured me and locked my CC away! 

what happened with the doubloon bonus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Thank you for this, whales are the target audience for these bundles but there are limits to pricing and how far WG can keep at this pace.

Time to wait for Black Friday and see if things will turn for the worse :Smile_hiding:...

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
580
[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,433 battles

@LCPL4ever no further comment other than I was ripped off for 500 doubloons! WG does not subscribe to THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,295
[HINON]
Members
8,838 posts
6 minutes ago, LCPL4ever said:

what happened with the doubloon bonus?

He made purchases for more than one account and thought they should have been totaled together for some odd reason.

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,831 posts
4,033 battles
9 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

He made purchases for more than one account and thought they should have been totaled together for some odd reason.

sorry,that made me laugh out loud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,056
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,385 posts
10,165 battles
20 minutes ago, LCPL4ever said:

what happened with the doubloon bonus?

I don't know what that poster was refering to but re: these crates there is a doubloon rip off too. You don't get doubloons for any duplicate premium ships from missions - they are giving credit value instead. Another issue I had with these crates. If you got the missions for the regular tech tree ships (NC and Chapayev as I recall) I have no issue with credit value for a duplicate but on the premiums (Alabama and Leningrad I think it is) you should get doubloons if you already had them NOT credits.

These crates are just a rip off in so many ways even if the content itself is decent

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles
9 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

 you got the missions for the regular tech tree ships (NC and Chapayev as I recall) I have no issue with credit value for a duplicate but on the premiums (Alabama and Leningrad I think it is) you should get doubloons if you already had them NOT credits.

These crates are just a rip off in so many ways even if the content itself is decent

Just had to go back and check the rules on the missions and you are correct...

So the fewer of these ships you have, the better for you since you would get credits either way. And since whales/collectors often gather most of the premiums, they are doubly screwed over by packages directed at them. What excellent logic

This is silly to say the least. I would rather they gave instead of the missions 100k coal.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
753 posts
10 battles

As a former whale, I hope everyone wakes up and refuses to buy crates of ANY kind. Crates serve one purpose, to entice players to spend money on a game of chance....GAMBLING. It allows Wargaming to bring in more money and hand out less digital goods at the same time. It also preys on human nature to keep spending money in the hope you will get that rare collectible you were looking for. As consumers as long as we continue to allow companies to operate in a predatory fashion they will continue to do so. I would not be surprised if there was a logarithm in place that the more money you spend on the game, the lower the percentage you have of getting that rare item roll. EA got busted for that with their Star Wars Battlefront loot crates. They do this because whales will continue to spend in the vain hopes of getting that rare item.

We all need to wake up and stop buying items the way Wargaming wants us to and only start buying again when Wargaming places EVERYTHING in the store where we can pick exactly what we want to buy.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles
Just now, UssIowaSailor said:

 EA got busted for that with their Star Wars Battlefront loot crates. They do this because whales will continue to spend in the vain hopes of getting that rare item.

Sadly EA didn't stop at this, in FIFA 2018 there is a pending investigation about their loot boxes in Belgium.

www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-09-10-ea-reportedly-under-criminal-investigation-in-belgium-due-to-fifas-loot-boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles

I have been a bit of a whale myself in the past. I don't care to admit how much I spent on those Xmas crates to get Nikolai and Grem...and of course then they went and nerfed OWSF which really hurt Grem. Lesson learned, don't buy RNG crates cause even if you get what you want you might find it changed down the line.

Yeah I know Grem is still really good...but point is its biggest selling point (which yes should have been removed) was eliminated without compensation.

Still though I'm worried how many people are going to throw down a hundred bucks just to get a commander for the blue tracers.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,053
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
35 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@LCPL4everWG does not subscribe to THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!

 

The customer isn't always right. If they do something idiotic you can make them feel like they're correct even though they're wrong and not getting their way.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,428
[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
7 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

 

The customer isn't always right. If they do something idiotic you can make them feel like they're correct even though they're wrong and not getting their way.

The actual version of this is called "Managing a customer" which involves managing their expectations, desires, and endstates. For example I may have a customer ask me to sacrifice tank space for fuel efficiency. I can do that, and in theory that looks good, but over the long term life of a carrier the among of money saved from fuel will pale in comparison to the loss in tank space. So you manage them and teach them that, and how codes and penalties can be managed to increase profitability of a line vs. compliance and losing large sums of money.

The same could be (better) utilized here, but the games' industry has decided to take queues from the Casino industry, rather than manufacturing.

Edited by _RC1138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
753 posts
10 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Sadly EA didn't stop at this, in FIFA 2018 there is a pending investigation about their loot boxes in Belgium.

www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-09-10-ea-reportedly-under-criminal-investigation-in-belgium-due-to-fifas-loot-boxes

The arrogance of EA knows no bounds, they were informed by the Belgium authorities that Fifa Ultimate Team Card Packs violated their countries rules on gambling and that in order to comply with their laws they would have to be removed. EA flatly ignored the Government of Belgium and released the game with the card packs. So I am hoping that legislation will pass in countries that make this type of online gambling illegal and Wargaming will not be able to sell crates.

I have no issues buying digital goods, I just think that as a consumer I should be able to pick and choose exactly what I want to buy. Wargaming only offering crates as a means to get said items and relying on a game of chance is a real [edited] bag move on the part of Wargaming and potentially criminal. A senator in Hawaii is working on anti loot box legislation, I am hoping it gains steam and that particular business model is outlawed in America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,053
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

The actual version of this is called "Managing a customer" which involves managing their expectations, desires, and endstates. For example I may have a customer ask me to sacrifice tank space for fuel efficiency. I can do that, and in theory that looks good, but over the long term life of a carrier the among of money saved from fuel will pail in comparison to the loss in tank space. So you manage them and teach them that, and how codes and penalties can be managed to increase profitability of a line vs. compliance and losing large sums of money.

The same could be (better) utilized here, but the games' industry has decided to take queues from the Casino industry, rather than manufacturing.

 

Yes, but when someone buys dubs on 2 separate accounts to try and game the bonus, then doesn't get all the dubs combined on his main account, can't really fix that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,428
[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
5 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

 

Yes, but when someone buys dubs on 2 separate accounts to try and game the bonus, then doesn't get all the dubs combined on his main account, can't really fix that

You can by more clearly indicating how the rules work, and accounting for shenanigans ahead of time. Every. Other. Industry. has a dummy proofing session during the R&D phase of speed to market processes, where you basically try to break whatever it is you are doing/selling. Here's the problem: most manufacturers don't mind hiring and paying 45-55k a year to someone to do dummy testing, the games' industry is *abnormally* cheap with their Q/A departments and treats bug testing/play testing like an after thought. We have on staff an entire 'dummy' crew whose whole job it is to basically try to break a design, and we've headed off genuine DISASTERS because of them. Pay the CEO 120k less a year out of his *~50* million a year salary (that's ~what Victor is reportedly compensated), and hire some skilled play testers/dummy crews to try to break everything they do.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
753 posts
10 battles
3 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

You can by more clearly indicating how the rules work, and accounting for shenanigans ahead of time. 

Shenanigans........one of my favorite words of all time. It makes me thing of the movie Super Troopers and Waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
158 posts
4 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

Wargaming only offering crates as a means to get said items and relying on a game of chance is a real [edited] bag move on the part of Wargaming and potentially criminal.

All of the chance items in the crates can be purchased separately in the shop, including #8 as a 15 pt commander.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,056
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,385 posts
10,165 battles
30 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

As a former whale, I hope everyone wakes up and refuses to buy crates of ANY kind. Crates serve one purpose, to entice players to spend money on a game of chance....GAMBLING. It allows Wargaming to bring in more money and hand out less digital goods at the same time. It also preys on human nature to keep spending money in the hope you will get that rare collectible you were looking for. As consumers as long as we continue to allow companies to operate in a predatory fashion they will continue to do so. I would not be surprised if there was a logarithm in place that the more money you spend on the game, the lower the percentage you have of getting that rare item roll. EA got busted for that with their Star Wars Battlefront loot crates. They do this because whales will continue to spend in the vain hopes of getting that rare item.

We all need to wake up and stop buying items the way Wargaming wants us to and only start buying again when Wargaming places EVERYTHING in the store where we can pick exactly what we want to buy.

I have to disagree on this in general terms. The crates offer things other than random draw chances at missions and such. The camo and flags are valuable items at a fixed/guaranteed rate. IF these #8 bundles for $100 USD at least dropped say 40 crates (50 is more reasonable but 40 at least) then the $100 USD would be more palatable knowing I was getting 400 camo and 400 flags guaranteed with a shot at the random chance items that would just sweeten the deal.

But at some point you have to weigh the cost of the crates to get those flags and camo (or whatever the guaranteed item is). In the past a lot of the crates were worth it just for the guaranteed items you got and any chance items were a welcome bonus. The way the crates have gone now even with the guaranteed items and also getting the chance items the crates still aren't worth what they charge.

WG is probing here recently with these crates trying to find the breaking point IMO. They over stepped it with the Freedom crates, barely made the RN crates reasonable (was basically break even), and now have gone overboard again with the #8 crates. IT is a bad trend and one that will ensure I stop buying them. They need to back off on these prices and go back to offering real value. 50 crates at $100 USD with good content wills ell well and both WG and the players benefit. $100 for 24 crates, even with good content, and only WG benefits and even that is questionable if people shake their heads and say NO!

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
826 posts
4,565 battles

I think they are hoping with the addictive activity of opening crates selling less in a bundle will result in more profit as people will buy more to get that fix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,459 posts
12,213 battles

There is a reason they price these the way they do. A simple knee jerk reaction would be to say no way!... But I am sure many are like myself.... I buy smaller amounts more often...with eventually spending the same for less product. I believe all of these items are obtainable in game? The crates just make it easier and faster.

If you don't feel the value is there, don't buy them. I don't go to the Porsche forums complaining that theirs cars are to pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles
16 minutes ago, UssIowaSailor said:

The arrogance of EA knows no bounds, they were informed by the Belgium authorities that Fifa Ultimate Team Card Packs violated their countries rules on gambling and that in order to comply with their laws they would have to be removed. EA flatly ignored the Government of Belgium and released the game with the card packs. So I am hoping that legislation will pass in countries that make this type of online gambling illegal and Wargaming will not be able to sell crates.

I have no issues buying digital goods, I just think that as a consumer I should be able to pick and choose exactly what I want to buy. Wargaming only offering crates as a means to get said items and relying on a game of chance is a real [edited] bag move on the part of Wargaming and potentially criminal. A senator in Hawaii is working on anti loot box legislation, I am hoping it gains steam and that particular business model is outlawed in America.

On the Belgium subject 2K also asked of its 2K19 fans to ask the authorities to lift the ban on the game's lootboxes, which is hilarious.

As for WG, they just follow the trend of the times which dictates microtransacs and lootboxes, especially when it comes to f2p games. 

Bottom line, everyone is allowed to use his/her money in any way they want; they earned it, if they want to spend it like that I can't judge them. But often this can border on gambling addiction where people have actual issues. In addition it sets very unhealthy trends for gaming as a whole, and spending money will only encourage these behaviors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
505 posts
3,483 battles

$50 for Ovi seems a bit steep. I was actually interested in this item for a variety of reasons. But, relative to other price points in the game and comparison to other game’s markets, the cost is punitive. I’m not sure how $50 for a 15pt special commander was reasoned, but a simple comparison of competing goods would have revealed an inconsistency. 

To be clear, I have no issues with gambling money away. It’s a choice one makes. But, this particular item seems like the result of losing a bunch of rolls and finally winning that one item you wanted at $50.  At least, that was my first thought when I saw $50.  No one, even those with money to throw away, wants to make a concessionary admission like that.

There’s a subjective and objective sliding scale for every purchase one makes. The higher the cost, then the more you risk hitting that all encompassing objective negative threshold.  $50 for a commander may have hit that undesired economic barrier.

Edited by Uber_Ghost
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×