Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Struggling finding your footing with the RN DDs get in here

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

103
[HSD]
Members
284 posts
9,436 battles

I’m currently playing Jutland, which has a significant departure from the previous line ships. I’m finding my experience in RN CLs is helping me as I have been able to quickly settle into the mindset of AP as the primary ammo. I don’t have enough games yet to establish a comfortable picture but opinion seems very heavily split regarding IFHE, was wondering if you had detailed thoughts or any gameplay examples. 

Additionally do you find the ship(s) are mostly defense oriented and shouldn’t be the ones at the forefront of a push to take a cap? In my admittedly limited experience I had my best game playing more agressively pushing and hunting enemy DDs using the Hydro and smoke to gradually force them back or into an engagement I’m willing to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
262
Members
1,587 posts
4,351 battles

How applicable are these to Jervis? Need to grit my teeth through her at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
183
[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
656 posts
4,001 battles
1 hour ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

I’m currently playing Jutland, which has a significant departure from the previous line ships. I’m finding my experience in RN CLs is helping me as I have been able to quickly settle into the mindset of AP as the primary ammo. I don’t have enough games yet to establish a comfortable picture but opinion seems very heavily split regarding IFHE, was wondering if you had detailed thoughts or any gameplay examples. 

Additionally do you find the ship(s) are mostly defense oriented and shouldn’t be the ones at the forefront of a push to take a cap? In my admittedly limited experience I had my best game playing more agressively pushing and hunting enemy DDs using the Hydro and smoke to gradually force them back or into an engagement I’m willing to take.

IFHE is 100% worth it on Jutland, I'd strongly recommend it personally. It'll give you a solid boost to your guns performance vs both destroyers and larger ships, while also helping you in the role of DoT stacking.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles
7 hours ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

I’m currently playing Jutland, which has a significant departure from the previous line ships. I’m finding my experience in RN CLs is helping me as I have been able to quickly settle into the mindset of AP as the primary ammo. I don’t have enough games yet to establish a comfortable picture but opinion seems very heavily split regarding IFHE, was wondering if you had detailed thoughts or any gameplay examples. 

Additionally do you find the ship(s) are mostly defense oriented and shouldn’t be the ones at the forefront of a push to take a cap? In my admittedly limited experience I had my best game playing more agressively pushing and hunting enemy DDs using the Hydro and smoke to gradually force them back or into an engagement I’m willing to take.

I tend to play them defensively at first.  I do that with most DDs though.

If I get an opening to get into the flanks of the enemy I will take it.  You are a two pronged threat with torps but also smoked up AP ambushes can net a lot of damage as well.

I tend to prefer IFHE.  The primary task for these DDs IMO is to bully enemy DDs.  Without it DDs can just tank you like I do with Minotaurs all the time.  I will have Jutland games up soon.  I dont want to blow all my FXP on a line I am keeping most of the DDs, so I am playing a dozen games or so then moving on.  I just dont have as much free time with KOTS prep in full swing right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,489
[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,306 battles

Exactly. Acasta to Lighting all play the same. It changes at T9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles
5 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Exactly. Acasta to Lighting all play the same. It changes at T9.

The only thing that really changes is the huge increase in potential DPM offset by the need for IFHE to reliably net HE damage.  Jutland and Daring are goddamned monsters.

ETA:  Just noticed the mods moved this to RN DD discussions.  When I posted this in general chat there were several threads with people saying they were having a hard time with the line.  I figured I would make it easy for them to find information.  Did my doing so violate any of the forums rules?

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
175
[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles

I find the RN DDs ridiculous if they use 1/6 HE pen.

113/6 = not quite 19, really hope they rounded up

+30% from IFHE doesn't even pen 25mm, can't even pen light cruiser bow/sterns with HE.

Compare this to USN or other >126mm gun DDs, where 21*1.3 = 27.3mm, enough to pen heavy cruiser bow/stern plating.

And then IJN 100mm can pen battleship bow/stern plating with IFHE

 

So you're basically doomed to sling AP 90% of the time, and unless they have improved autobounce (I do not recall this being the case) then the line is in all probability going to be really, really painful to play. The guns would be bad and the torpedoes don't look so great either...

EDIT: So I heard the AP does have improved autobounce. So the guns go from "godawful fires only" to "pretty meh"...

 

On the other hand if it gets 1/5 HE pen it would have baseline 22mm or perhaps even 23mm pen (if rounded up), and be able to pen heavy cruisers with IFHE, which would make it reasonably competitive. 25mm HE pen would probably be best though (or 1/4 for 28mm base HE pen) as the torps aren't exactly great.

Edited by Guardian54

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
92 posts
12,667 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I tend to play them defensively at first.  I do that with most DDs though.

If I get an opening to get into the flanks of the enemy I will take it.  You are a two pronged threat with torps but also smoked up AP ambushes can net a lot of damage as well.

I tend to prefer IFHE.  The primary task for these DDs IMO is to bully enemy DDs.  Without it DDs can just tank you like I do with Minotaurs all the time.  I will have Jutland games up soon.  I dont want to blow all my FXP on a line I am keeping most of the DDs, so I am playing a dozen games or so then moving on.  I just dont have as much free time with KOTS prep in full swing right now.

I've have very good experiences with the Jutland/Daring.   I agree they are perfect for the defensive role.   They also, IMO, excel in the harassing/screening role.   Just being there in the area, in a position to ambush aggressive, opfor DD's and continually contesting a cap and the area around it, being that thorn in the side that just won't go away not to mention the ability to spot torps for the team behind you.  

I've opted to go the RPF route rather than IFHE.  I'm feeling right now that what I do lose in DPM against an angled target is made up for the extra bit of intel (the bearing of the closest opfor ship) allows me to have a greater impact on the flow of the battle.  With the enhances autobouce angles of the Brit AP a it is seeming that a target has to be almost completely bow on to me before it becomes an issue.   That approach may have to change once people get used to playing against the Brit DD line.  

Very good work and analysis Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
258
[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles

Kuro: Picked up the Gallant after the Brit DD event (had to spend the coins on something). Stat-wise it is supposed to be a little better than Icarus (boost but no hydro). At least it can retrain the captain still specced for Black Swan. What is your opinion? Keep the Icarus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Kuro: Picked up the Gallant after the Brit DD event (had to spend the coins on something). Stat-wise it is supposed to be a little better than Icarus (boost but no hydro). At least it can retrain the captain still specced for Black Swan. What is your opinion? Keep the Icarus?

I am keeping them from Acasta to Daring mostly to help teach any clan members struggling with a particular ship.  In the past I do a buy back when needed, but I have the port slots ready for another 3 CA and DD lines waiting so room isnt an issue.

Icarus is a solid T6 DD, I'd be inclined to keep her if I could spare a 10 point captain (I dont like to have less than a 10 point captain on DDs unless I am doing low tier training where it isnt fair to try to teach some one how to play a low tier DD with a high point captain), but it really comes down to what your account can support.  Not everyone has an average of 200k XP growth per week just from random battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
258
[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,626 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Icarus is a solid T6 DD, I'd be inclined to keep her if I could spare a 10 point captain (I dont like to have less than a 10 point captain on DDs unless I am doing low tier training where it isnt fair to try to teach some one how to play a low tier DD with a high point captain), but it really comes down to what your account can support.  Not everyone has an average of 200k XP growth per week just from random battles.

Right now I have no open port slots and I didn't get enough coin to get the Brit commander (had to decide on the ship or the commander). I am retraining the 11 pt commander to the Acosta (no point in training him to the Gallant) so the Icarus has no captain. I could scrape up a 3 pointer and retrain, but as you said, less than 10pts is baaaad.

I would probably be single shortly (and she would take the computer!) if I tried for a 200K XP growth per week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,634 posts
9,728 battles
9 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Right now I have no open port slots and I didn't get enough coin to get the Brit commander (had to decide on the ship or the commander). I am retraining the 11 pt commander to the Acosta (no point in training him to the Gallant) so the Icarus has no captain. I could scrape up a 3 pointer and retrain, but as you said, less than 10pts is baaaad.

I would probably be single shortly (and she would take the computer!) if I tried for a 200K XP growth per week.

Then it makes sense to sell her.

Wait till the holidays, port slots always go on sale.  That how I keep expanding my port. 

I have always said the ship is the easy part, its the captain that takes work.  My "system" I use my ships to farm flags and XP camos in randoms.  I then use the best camos and flags for either free XP or Commander XP during the next clan battles season.  Done properly I net 250-300k ECXP per night.  I then take that and create my 10 point DD captains, or level captains I think might see ranked use, followed by generally leveling all my captains.  There is no other options to grind that much XP that fast in the game, so its worth investing time in making sure you are ready to grab as much as you can.

It sounds like a lot of XP per week but its works out to getting your three daily containers 6 times per week.  That usually takes me 8-10 games per day, and leaves me plenty of time to work with my kids and have time with my wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
610
[HEROS]
Members
1,400 posts
11,820 battles

really nice overview and jibes with my experiences with the ships.. think like a fencer in score out repeat.

Acasta:

First day of ranked the kamakaze's and Fujin's gave me a little problem due to their high concealment but in all other regards the Acasta is a serious contender IF your a good shot with the guns.   Easily made it to rank 5 switching back and forth between Acasta and Oct. Rev. and then spent a couple hours with tater teams *sigh*

With her good manuverabilty fast recharge smoke I was able to constantly keep pressure and even managed several gun fire kills on cruisers (AP works pretty good if they give you their side)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,712
[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles
On 10/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

ETA:  Just noticed the mods moved this to RN DD discussions.  When I posted this in general chat there were several threads with people saying they were having a hard time with the line.  I figured I would make it easy for them to find information.  Did my doing so violate any of the forums rules?

It was probably too specific! :Smile_teethhappy:

Had a great time in Tier 2, and a great battle to start my Tier 3 experience. The shock is going to come at Tier 4, facing Tier 5 cruisers with modern gun layouts like the Konigsberg. That one's going to hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×