Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheLastReaper

Why is the Salem so bad?

40 comments in this topic

Members
292 posts

I was saving my coal for it but on closer inspection it seems pretty terrible. Worse I found out it doesn't count as a premium for credit bonuses. Suddenly I can't imagine why anyone would waste so much coal on it? Am i missing something?

• Funny 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,570 posts
3,740 battles
4 minutes ago, TheLastReaper said:

I was saving my coal for it but on closer inspection it seems pretty terrible. Worse I found out it doesn't count as a premium for credit bonuses. Suddenly I can't imagine why anyone would waste so much coal on it? Am i missing something?

It doesn't generate extra credits the same way as the premium, but its service cost gets the premium treatment of being half that of a normal tier 10 tech tree service cost.

Plus with the tier 10 premium camo that the Salem gets, it makes her half priced service cost get cut by another half which makes her service cost 1/4 that of a tier 10 tech tree ship and you can still get an additional 25% more reduction from the flag and clan bonus.

Salem is just really really cheap to play in while at the same time being able to use any US captain.

• Cool 1

Members
292 posts
12 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

It doesn't generate extra credits the same way as the premium, but its service cost gets the premium treatment of being half that of a normal tier 10 tech tree service cost.

Plus with the tier 10 premium camo that the Salem gets, it makes her half priced service cost get cut by another half which makes her service cost 1/4 that of a tier 10 tech tree ship and you can still get an additional 25% more reduction from the flag and clan bonus.

Salem is just really really cheap to play in while at the same time being able to use any US captain.

K, but you need to pay 5k dubloons for that premium camo right? Just seems 5k dubloons and 240k coal (180 with coupom) is a lot for a ship with a 25% service cost reduction that is a Des Moines with an Atlanta radar... I guess I just don't plan to play a bad tier X to save credits. I'd just grind credits with a different tier ship that isn't kind sucky. I don't see a reason to get Salem for the tiny service cost reduction unless you are someone who HAS to player tier X and can't get credits at other tiers.... I guess I was looking to see if someone would convince me to keep saving for it but it just seems like a bad deal unfortunately.

Edited by TheLastReaper

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

I am really hoping Bourgogne will sell for coal at the same price point as Salem.  But if they make both Jean Bart and Alaska available for coal and free XP, I could get one for free XP and one for coal...  The anticipation is killing me!

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
218 posts
1,458 battles

It's not bad, it's just getting a bad rep due to the power of radar consumables being inflated by a lack of CVs.  More importantly it doesn't compare favorably to its sister ship in the current meta, despite costing a tremendous amount of time.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles
1 minute ago, TheLastReaper said:

K, but you need to pay 5k dubloons for that premium camo right? Just seems 5k dubloons and 240k coal (180 with coupom) is a lot of a ship with a 25% service cost reduction that is a Des Moines with an Atlanta radar...

The Arsenal page does say the camo is included (with the usual type 20 permanent camo bonuses).

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,974 posts
6,460 battles
2 minutes ago, TheLastReaper said:

K, but you need to pay 5k dubloons for that premium camo right? Just seems 5k dubloons and 240k coal (180 with coupom) is a lot of a ship with a 25% service cost reduction that is a Des Moines with an Atlanta radar...

for Salem? no she comes with that camo, if you mean for the Des Moines then yes, its 5K dubloons

Members
292 posts
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

for Salem? no she comes with that camo, if you mean for the Des Moines then yes, its 5K dubloons

ah, ok. Still... the only real benefit of Salem is a 25% service cost reduction and saving 5k doubloons for the price of 180k coal... which for me is like 4 months of playing at least. For a Des Moines with poorer radar. Mmmm. And then Jean Bart or Alaska may be sold for coal too. Mmmm x2.

[TBW]
Members
6,353 posts
11,894 battles
38 minutes ago, TheLastReaper said:

Because I want to own every ship, I will have her in port soon. There are a lot of crappy premium ships and line ships but they are all fun to play and according to the tier 8 is perfectly fine against tier ten advocates, it's absolutely viable. It will probably be good in tier ten Ops (a prediction).

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,944 posts

The biggest disappointment is that Salem can't make credits. Even a T5 premium generates more income than Salem, or so I heard. You're better off getting Musashi or waiting for Jean Bart & Alaska.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,338 posts
17,834 battles
7 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

The biggest disappointment is that Salem can't make credits. Even a T5 premium generates more income than Salem, or so I heard. You're better off getting Musashi or waiting for Jean Bart & Alaska.

Actually the Salem does pretty well for a tier 10 in the credit making department. She is no Missouri but I use Salem in coop and unlike every tech tree tier 8-10, the Salem will always earn credits. Granted not tons on an average match (20k ish) but on a decent match you can get 50 or 60k without signals or premium time. That is in co-op! I can only wonder what she can do in PvP where earnings are much higher. Tier 8+ ships played in PvE will lose money consistently on average matches. You really have to score well to earn credits with them.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,716 posts
9,496 battles
1 hour ago, TheLastReaper said:

Worse I found out it doesn't count as a premium for credit bonuses.

WoWs is not making a credit printing premium ship AKA the Mo, so why people continue to think that any new premium is now a credit printing machine? You all forgot that even a tech tree ship that you doing well can make credit. The difference is that PREMIUM give you the hidden stat and the perm camo that you can always use for free plus whatever benefits that camo provide. These alone already made Salem worth while. She similar to DM, less AA BUT massive heal.

Her type 20 perm camo gives -50% to service cost and 20% extra credit

If you have the Military Month Contributor flag, that +5% extra credit 

Clan benefit

Dry dock: -15% to post service cost for ships of all tiers

Let assume no other credit signals going to be use ....... enter a Co-Op battle to test credit earning. Then compares to other non premium ships that do not have the perm camo (t10 perm camo will cost 5000 doubloon initially).

The cost would be a lot more. So the Salem is worth in the eye of the captain, please do not blanket your assumption.

40 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Even a T5 premium generates more income than Salem, or so I heard.

Please read the above comparison, and dont always assumed that Salem is not worth it.

Mo always best

Mu/Roma/Ashitaka with the special camo seconds

Any other ships

Edit:

the ability to train capt from the same nation with free, and amass Elite CXP/freeXP, tech tree t10 cant. Dont forget

Edited by ObiphanKenobi
  • Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,227 posts
6,433 battles
1 hour ago, TheLastReaper said:

Just seems 5k dubloons and 240k coal (180 with coupom) is a lot for a ship with a 25% service cost reduction that is a Des Moines with an Atlanta radar...

Salem also has the superheal, which makes it possible to play more selfish. That mixes well with her other consumables and the way they are laid out.

On Salem the DFAA Consumable has its own slot, while Hydro and Radar share a slot. So if you deem your radar to be too bad to be actively used, you can instead take Hydro and enjoy protection against Torps and Planes at the same time.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,873 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Because I want to own every ship, I will have her in port soon. There are a lot of crappy premium ships and line ships but they are all fun to play and according to the tier 8 is perfectly fine against tier ten advocates, it's absolutely viable. It will probably be good in tier ten Ops (a prediction).

My goal is to have at least one premium at each tier where a premium is offered. Getting Salem will complete my goal. And, like you, I find all of them fun to play.

[POP]
Members
842 posts
9,505 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

WoWs is not making a credit printing premium ship AKA the Mo, so why people continue to think that any new premium is now a credit printing machine? You all forgot that even a tech tree ship that you doing well can make credit. The difference is that PREMIUM give you the hidden stat and the perm camo that you can always use for free plus whatever benefits that camo provide. These alone already made Salem worth while. She similar to DM, less AA BUT massive heal.

Her type 20 perm camo gives -50% to service cost and 20% extra credit

If you have the Military Month Contributor flag, that +5% extra credit 

Clan benefit

Dry dock: -15% to post service cost for ships of all tiers

Let assume no other credit signals going to be use ....... enter a Co-Op battle to test credit earning. Then compares to other non premium ships that do not have the perm camo (t10 perm camo will cost 5000 doubloon initially).

The cost would be a lot more. So the Salem is worth in the eye of the captain, please do not blanket your assumption.

Please read the above comparison, and dont always assumed that Salem is not worth it.

Mo always best

Mu/Roma/Ashitaka with the special camo seconds

Any other ships

Edit:

the ability to train capt from the same nation with free, and amass Elite CXP/freeXP, tech tree t10 cant. Dont forget

Obiwankz turned me on to the Salem...I've been having a blast.!!

Unfortunately I haven't been winning in it...

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
164 posts
4,241 battles

I'd call her a Des Moines with a radically different playstyle, from what I've seen and just by comparing them. I'd argue that radar is there just to be able to say it's there, but all of the stuff it has besides that combine into a monster of a cruiser. She can gobble up shy of 6 fires worth of damage with a single heal. She can swat planes and torp beat at the same time, something not a lot of ships can do. But then, I love AA.

Personally, I'd say that the biggest negative is that she can't use the legendary mod. That thing would be perfect for her, as that level of rudder shift allows a cruiser to surprise their foes. I love wiggling my butt in Mino, even if I'm not a big fan of her due to the lack of HE. But then, I'm also the type that uses unexpected builds, as an AA Katori used to be my favorite ship when I was new to the game. She was surprisingly good at it, too!

I'd call Salem an odd ship that could take your foes by surprise due to the various ways you can build her. I can't wait to have her in my port, assuming nothing more interesting comes out before I get the last 50k coal. The only ship I could see overriding my want for her is maybe Alaska, but even that is a big maybe.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,487 battles
4 hours ago, TheLastReaper said:

For a Des Moines with poorer radar.

And a RN Superheal.

[P2W]
Members
688 posts
6 hours ago, TheLastReaper said:

ah, ok. Still... the only real benefit of Salem is a 25% service cost reduction and saving 5k doubloons for the price of 180k coal... which for me is like 4 months of playing at least. For a Des Moines with poorer radar. Mmmm. And then Jean Bart or Alaska may be sold for coal too. Mmmm x2.

Should of bought it earlier, I did early on while everybody was still screaming "The Alaska is coming! Don't Get Salem! "and I am already back over 100k in coal and guess what ...Still no Alaska!

If you take note of the 25% coupon expiration date for ships it's 12/24 My guess is you wont see Alaska until after the new year.

Edited by DESRON10

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

I have Des Moines. Skipped Salem. Does not interest me, especially at that high price. Way too high.

I use coal for special upgrades and flags (use the coupons whenever available of course).

[WOLFB]
Members
2,598 posts
4,981 battles

I think some people really like her. The key is to do research and see if it matches your style. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles

Sorry, I got the far superior Des Moines, which can also heavily sway matches in ways Salem never can.

[INTEL]
Members
583 posts
7,359 battles

I just picked up the Salem and I have the DM.  I haven't played the Salem enough to have a good opinion of which I'll prefer but so far, I like her.  The Repair is fantastic especially if you are up against a fire spamming Worcester or IJN DD.  Take a huge amount of fire damage while knocking them down, then Poof!, most of your health is recovered.

[SIM]
Members
2,451 posts
4,080 battles

I understand why people compare Salem and Des Moines, but based on consumables alone they seem like completely different ships. Salem is able to take care of herself, with a strong heal, and simultaneous access to DFAA and hydro, while Des Moines has an excellent radar consumable and (as far as I know) superior firing range enabling her to more comfortably provide fire support where it’s needed. Yes, Salem has access to radar, but it’s a poor version of that consumable that clearly doesn’t have good synergy with the ship’s strengths. Salem is a ship that fits in well with the solo player on a semi-coordinated team (so Randoms), while Des Moines is a far superior choice in a division, or on those rare teams that communicate well and coordinate their maneuvers. 

That’s my impression of things, at least. I’m still stacking coal for the Salem.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

I prefer Salem over dm bc I can be far more aggressive with the heal, negating the weaker radar

Sign in to follow this