KilljoyCutter

Wargaming Error Monitor?

13 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,561 posts

After the last update, my firewall suddenly started asking if I wanted to give "wargaming error monitor" access to the internet.

Huh.

I don't recall installing that, and I don't recall giving any other software permission to install that.  I don't recall anything ever asking if it was OK for that to "phone home" or whatever it's doing.

Temporarily block its access, and kill the process... and it immediately reloads and tries to access the internet again. 

So, offending exe file renamed so it can't be loaded by whatever's calling it, and firewall told "never let this talk to anything" for both the old and new name. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,686 posts
10,769 battles

Contact support it may be part of the WGC.

Members
3,998 posts
2,014 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Contact support it may be part of the WGC.

It is.  I saw it when it first loaded WGC.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,561 posts

I don't use WGC. 

And I'm sure it's something WG decided they wanted to install. 

But they didn't ask permission to install it, and they didn't ask permission for it to make connections.  So in the bin it goes.

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,686 posts
10,769 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

I don't use WGC. 

And I'm sure it's something WG decided they wanted to install. 

But they didn't ask permission to install it, and they didn't ask permission for it to make connections.  So in the bin it goes.

Still contact support. Nothing on a computer asks you for permission, it is the OS asking if program X can do something.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,561 posts
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Still contact support. Nothing on a computer asks you for permission, it is the OS asking if program X can do something.

It's my firewall (third party, not Microsoft's) saying "this programs wants to access the internet, should I allow it or block it?"

And it's also the "error monitor" being reloaded within a few seconds if I kill the process... at least until I renamed the file.  Since it's not crashing WOWS to not have it running, I think I'll just delete the EXE file.

What I meant by "ask permission" was that during the install of the last update, there was never anything that came up saying "Is it OK if we install this new error monitor on your computer?" or "Would you like to participate in our new error reporting system"?

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,561 posts

PS, this wasn't a support question. 

I wasn't looking for support -- and I know what happens to threads here, this is a dumping ground for WG to ignore issues.

It's almost as if WG doesn't want people to see that this thing has been installed on their computer and is quietly sending information back to WG.

[GWG]
[GWG]
18,686 posts
10,769 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

PS, this wasn't a support question. 

I wasn't looking for support -- and I know what happens to threads here, this is a dumping ground for WG to ignore issues.

It's almost as if WG doesn't want people to see that this thing has been installed on their computer and is quietly sending information back to WG.

I am saying to contact support to find out what the heck it is and what it does.

[LOU1]
Members
3,516 posts
9,363 battles

I believe the last Developers Diary mentioned it, but I cannot find it now.  It automated the error log to reduce the amount of manual log collecting the player has to do.  I know I read about it recently. @Radar_X or one of the other mods may be able to explain it.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,561 posts
8 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

I believe the last Developers Diary mentioned it, but I cannot find it now.  It automated the error log to reduce the amount of manual log collecting the player has to do.  I know I read about it recently. @Radar_X or one of the other mods may be able to explain it.

Anything that installs on my computer without asking, and then tries to send information out without asking, is going to get nuked.

Especially if it keeps reloading every time its process is killed.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,828 posts
14,687 battles

It is easier to be a            about such things than just send in an inquiring support ticket!

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,561 posts

It's never shown up in processes list in Task Manager (I check routinely), and never tried to access the internet, until right after the most recent update.