You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

Please don't CV snipe in the CV beta

40 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Members
3,695 posts
2,408 battles

For those of you in the CV beta, please don't CV snipe.  We're there to learn to play.  Give the players a few days to learn the basics before you target the CVs.  That's not only for the CV players, but surface ships too, don't target the CVs.  At the end of the game when all other ships are sunk, then all bets are off.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 10

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Members
165 posts
642 battles

Why not?

It's testing. I'm here to break the game in every way possible. Sniping needs to be addressed, and the best way to address it is to continuously snipe. 

• Cool 7

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
797 posts
4,638 battles
25 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

For those of you in the CV beta, please don't CV snipe.  We're there to learn to play.  Give the players a few days to learn the basics before you target the CVs.  That's not only for the CV players, but surface ships too, don't target the CVs.  At the end of the game when all other ships are sunk, then all bets are off.

No.. You're there to test mechanics of the CVs and give feedback.

It's a thing that's going to be used so needs to be tested, and feedback on it will have to be given.

• Bad 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,267 posts
12,617 battles

Agree, they need to see what the impact of snipes and snipe attempts are.  Ideally, a lost CV won't hurt the team any more than any other ship lost.

[ADOPT]
Beta Testers
161 posts
7,445 battles

In addition to what was said above, don't bother learning the controls too thoroughly, everything is subject to change anyway. The way things are now might not be same a week, a month, etc. from now 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,012 posts
4,848 battles
44 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

For those of you in the CV beta, please don't CV TRUCE.  We're there to learn to play.  Give the players a few days to learn the basics before you make deals with each other.  That's not only for the CV players, but surface ships too, target the enemies.  At the end of the game when all other ships are sunk, then all bets are off.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,267 posts
12,617 battles
49 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

No, you're not there to learn how to play.  You're there to TEST.  To see how things work and work together.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,603 battles
26 minutes ago, HCl_plus_NaOH said:

Why not?

It's testing. I'm here to break the game in every way possible. Sniping needs to be addressed, and the best way to address it is to continuously snipe. 

Bingo.

I actually don't mind getting sniped as it will show a glaring need for the devs to keep that in mind going forward.

Same goes for wall-riding as you can essentially boost your AA to one side more effectively.

[_-_]
Members
1,673 posts

Sniping and CV-hunting by all ships is going to be extremely popular when it goes live. Better get used to it.

Seems like a valid test mode to me.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,267 posts
12,617 battles
4 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Bingo.

I actually don't mind getting sniped as it will show a glaring need for the devs to keep that in mind going forward.

Same goes for wall-riding as you can essentially boost your AA to one side more effectively.

Hadn't thought of border scumming to boost my AA

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,825 posts
3,574 battles

I'm inclined to disagree.  Sniping seems to be far more effective now, especially with the blindingly-fast Japanese planes.  

A big part of testing is, and always has been, "trying to break the game."  Do things the developers would never even THINK of doing, and when you find something that doesn't seem to work as it should, do it often enough and egregiously enough that they have no choice but to take notice and address it.

To that end?  Snipe often, and snipe shamelessly.

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
3,695 posts
2,408 battles

Sorry, you're not there to break the game, you're there to decide if the current CV model is attractive to players.  They aren't even to point of testing balance yet.  Don't get me wrong, there is a time to go no holds barred.  I just don't think it should be the first day.  Beside, most players seem to agree, and are only targeting the surface ships. 

Alpha Tester
3,644 posts
4,265 battles
20 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Sorry, you're not there to break the game, you're there to decide if the current CV model is attractive to players.  They aren't even to point of testing balance yet.  Don't get me wrong, there is a time to go no holds barred.  I just don't think it should be the first day.  Beside, most players seem to agree, and are only targeting the surface ships. 

CV has a lot of AA. Especially given Ranger hasn't lost any IIRC.

[NGAGE]
Members
2,978 posts
7,989 battles
25 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I mean, it probably should tell WG something if the entire playerbase immediately realizes snipes are the most effective way to deal damage as a CV.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,404 posts
10,049 battles

Better be sniped during a beta than being snipe on live server when everything is already set and you'll need to wait several month before WG decide to adress the issue because not enough data 

• Cool 2

[KNTI2]
Members
875 posts
5,595 battles
53 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

That's just it.

If the mechanics can be so easily cheesed, then they need to be fixed. Artificially depressing this in alpha helps no one, not in the least the people who are actually supposed to benefit from this rework (i.e people who don't currently play CVs).

> you're there to decide if the current CV model is attractive to players

No, the current model is being reworked. That's what you're playing, the rework.

What you're doing is testing what they have to see if certain things need to be fixed. This actually means to try to break the gameplay as much as you can, do whatever dumb things you can come up with.

If the system can survive you doing that, then it will survive live, where people WILL do dumb things to exploit the system.

A test environment is the BEST place to break the system, because then you can fix it.

In live, you can fix it but now you've let thousands of games get ruined in the interim.

If CV sniping is a problem for the rework (which was a potential pitfall brought up before, but ignored because "shut up and wait lul" meme), by definition that's a thing that needs to be fixed. Keep a running tally of how many times you get sniped and put that in your feedback.

Edited by NATOMarksman

[SBS]
Members
3,695 posts
2,408 battles
1 minute ago, enderland07 said:

I mean, it probably should tell WG something if the entire playerbase immediately realizes snipes are the most effective way to deal damage as a CV.

We can go all out CV sniping and waste  the first round of testing; all the while frustrating the current tester that are only going to have a very limited amount of time to play their round of testing.

Just now, NATOMarksman said:

No, the current model is being reworked. That's what you're playing, the rework.

What you're doing is testing what they have to see if certain things need to be fixed.

No, the real AA isn't even in place yet, there are no captain skills for any ships, most of the games are filled with bots.  There is no actual testing happening at this point.  Its all about getting a feel for the game play, that's it.

[PNG]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,037 posts
6,477 battles

It's a test, kinda meant to test everything. If something is really broken, need to discover it now

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,267 posts
12,617 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

No, you're not.  You're absolutely there to break things, so the devs know what to fix.  That's why testing is not for everyone.

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
350 posts

I only play Co-Op, the bots in Co-Op snipe CVs all the time now. When I finally get time to test this weekend, I am guessing they will continue this behavior. I have had time to log in for about 5 minutes, noticed there is some learning battles you can repeat if you have less than 10 battles. Also noticed my default was Co-Op.

Cirran