You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SeaKnight_1990

AP vs. HE Bombs

9 comments in this topic

[BZERK]
Members
746 posts
4,016 battles

I'm about 45k XP away from the Lexington, no small thanks to 14 days premium from a resource container, but enough. The higher tiers are getting closer with each game, and I did some calculations, and found that were I to research all upgrades for all the carriers, before free XP came in, I have a combined 655, 000 experience to go before I unlock everything. This includes unlocking both HE and AP dive bombers. For the sake of time, is it worth researching both AP and HE dive bombers, or just one? 

For the record, I have over 100k XP on the Missouri, and I'm trying to pull together the money to get the gold to convert it. 

[POP]
Members
314 posts
5,189 battles

Ap bombers are great for killing cruisers, so much so that the enemy CV will have to choose between attacking your torpedo bombers or your ap bombers.

Fire bombers damage is so random they will likely be ignored keeping pressure on your torpedo bombers all the time.

[NSEW]
Members
1,088 posts

I read someone said the "Tiny Tim"s are only good for battleships."

I too would like to know their in-depth reasoning behind peoples suggestions about which planes to take (HVAR vs Tiny Tim).

[-BUI-]
Members
1,271 posts
3,176 battles

HE bombers are better, because fires.   DOT damage is the best way to "farm damage" for yourself.   

On the Lex I think the HVAR rockets are better simply because there are more of them, so more chances to hit, which is especially important against DDs.

I'd say, if you take AP bombs, definitely take HVAR.   If you take HE bombers, you can take Tiny Tims instead, as long as you're capable of hitting a DD with your HE bombers.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,174 posts
4,949 battles

Erm, you can't swap bomb types any more post-rework, just rockets. US carriers (except Enterprise, which gets AP) are all stuck with HE, but it's really good HE so I can't complain.

On 4/17/2019 at 2:23 AM, LowSpeed_US said:

I read someone said the "Tiny Tim"s are only good for battleships."

I too would like to know their in-depth reasoning behind peoples suggestions about which planes to take (HVAR vs Tiny Tim).

Rocket choice actually varies based on what carrier we're talking about.

On Lexington I recommend HVARs. You get a lot of rockets with decent enough pen for their tier that way, at tier 8 most of the targets you'll be attacking will be squishy enough that standard HE warheads are fine and can net you a few thousand damage per run on most ships you run across. The main drawback to the Tiny Tim on Lexington is its inaccuracy combined with the fact that you only fire off six of them per pass, so you have to either rely on your dive bombers to take on destroyers or hope that you made all your daily sacrifices to RNGsus.

Midway on the other hand I recommend the Tiny Tim as your go-to rocket. With nine rockets per pas you're more likely to get multiple hits, and with tier 10 match-making you see a lot more heavily armored targets. HVARs versus tier 10s tend to get a lot of shatters, but the SAP Tiny Tim will blast through pretty much any superstructure or deck plating it runs across. You're still at a disadvantage versus destroyers, but with 50% more rockets it's a lot less pronounced.

• Cool 1

[NSEW]
Members
1,088 posts
3 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Erm, you can't swap bomb types any more post-rework, just rockets. US carriers (except Enterprise, which gets AP) are all stuck with HE, but it's really good HE so I can't complain.

Rocket choice actually varies based on what carrier we're talking about.

On Lexington I recommend HVARs. You get a lot of rockets with decent enough pen for their tier that way, at tier 8 most of the targets you'll be attacking will be squishy enough that standard HE warheads are fine and can net you a few thousand damage per run on most ships you run across. The main drawback to the Tiny Tim on Lexington is its inaccuracy combined with the fact that you only fire off six of them per pass, so you have to either rely on your dive bombers to take on destroyers or hope that you made all your daily sacrifices to RNGsus.

Midway on the other hand I recommend the Tiny Tim as your go-to rocket. With nine rockets per pas you're more likely to get multiple hits, and with tier 10 match-making you see a lot more heavily armored targets. HVARs versus tier 10s tend to get a lot of shatters, but the SAP Tiny Tim will blast through pretty much any superstructure or deck plating it runs across. You're still at a disadvantage versus destroyers, but with 50% more rockets it's a lot less pronounced.

Thanks! I’ve been using Tiny Tim’s on Lexington only. I’ll switch to HCAR and see the changes. 

[-AOA-]
Beta Testers
829 posts
7,115 battles

AP is more of a finisher for heavy damage ships. They don't do much damage for some of CV's who don't have alpha AP bombs. (GZ)

HE I like the most because you do damage, fire starter, or finisher when need.  

[SYJ]
Members
159 posts
8,772 battles
On 4/24/2019 at 6:31 AM, TheHunter2_EAD said:

AP is more of a finisher for heavy damage ships. They don't do much damage for some of CV's who don't have alpha AP bombs. (GZ)

HE I like the most because you do damage, fire starter, or finisher when need.  

Current AP Bombs on Enterprise have a potential to wreck / delete all Cruisers and certain Battleships in a few passes, especially German Battleships.

The INJ CVs and Graf Zeppelin are kind of meh because they only drop 2~3 bombs per attack  instead of 6 like the Enterprise.

• Cool 1