You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Black ships... No thanks!

159 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
Members
1,010 posts
2,260 battles

Link

The dev blog said that there's plans in the works to bring 'black' ships into the game. For those unfamiliar with wot, it's an identical ship (in this case tirpitz, asashio, at ago, and massachusetts), except its colored and named black. 

I guess it's good and bad. I've been looking for a place to draw the line and wargaming just fed it to me. I usually buy every premium battleship, and have amassed quite the collection. But I don't need 2 tirpitzes. 

Hate to be the 'angry spender', but it's just a useless addition. Thanks for giving me a clean way out I guess. 

• Cool 14
  • Bad 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,858 posts
3,959 battles

The camouflage bonuses are appealing if they were offered separately, but these will probably be some 100$ bundles. :Smile_hiding:

I hoped these practices wouldn't transfer from WoT here...

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 5

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,808 posts
4,780 battles

With the paint system...bet those won't be able to take any paint, becoming gimped like Arpeggio ships............unless it has some massive special bonuses..........

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,588 battles

I disagree, on the grounds that more Premiums for 2x and 3x Earnings Events is always better. Then again, during those events, I regularly cycle through the ARP clones, the HSF Spee/Graf Spee, and Kami-clones for the XP.

And to be fair to WG, I can see the reasoning behind it.

1. Tirpitz and Atago are old Premiums. Most everyone has them that chose to keep them, and both are saturated with unique Permacamo that only one can be used at any time. There's the recent Anniversary Camouflage, as well as Tirpitz' two Event Camouflages; the Tzarnisch? and Halloween. Black Versions give them a new, full-priced, copy to sell, rather than just selling more Camouflage, and also allow doubling-up of Captain training.
  2. Asashio was a clear gimmick ship that quickly fell by the wayside. Throwing it in as a limited-time alternate encourages some adoption, either by those trying to collect them all or those who missed out on her the previous times.
  3. Massachusetts is a really popular ship. No surprise that they would want to cash in on that and offer it in Black, rather than sell a Black Camouflage.

The only things that could make the Black ships better are:

• Adding in a Tron Cyber Monday alternate Permacamo for free.
  • Allowing Tirpitz B to use the Halloween Camouflage that regular Tirpitz can use.
  • Do Black versions for Warspite and Texas, since those two are also pretty well saturated, but as optional Doubloon sinks rather than store Premiums.
  • Bad 3

[WGA]
Administrator
746 posts
309 battles

We do understand there is some controversy around this and really do appreciate everyone's feedback, especially on what you'd like to see Black Camo for. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,955 battles

I would really just rather have these as a premium skin, even if it's only obtainable through the shop with real money.  I just don't need four more duplicate ships in my port at the moment, and certainly don't need to be spending an equal amount of real money on them.

First world problems, yeah?

-R

• Cool 6

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
80 posts

Wait...so If I want a "black" version of premium ship I already have....I have to buy the thing twice? Seriously? No-one is going to do that.

Wouldn't this be "punishing" people who already paid for the ship a long time ago but might want the new camo?

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
792 posts
4,955 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Seriously?

Srsly.  No, actually, on second thought that's not completely accurate.  There is a camo that's referenced, but I imagine it's consumable.  Conceivably you could use that to make any (except ARP) ship black.

-R

(at least it looks that way)

Edited by Mister_Rawr

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
412 posts
2,516 battles

I don't understand the need for a separate ship.

You have players that paid money to support your game, and now they should rebuy the ship to get a new camo?

Look I can understand monetizing the benefits of special camos to some degree, but now you're basically telling people to wait on buying premiums because down the road a better version of the same thing may come out that you can't upgrade to.  Yes, I get the combat characteristics are (allegedly) the same, but the bonuses aren't.  These ships are just better for all the reasons any player wants a premium.

WoT had a technical limitation at the time many of the duplicate tanks were sold.  They also offset the by including special crews or other benefits and most were available to earn at least a major discount on in game.  WoWS has none of that.  You could simply sell the black camo.

I also don't understand the need to go with plain black.  If you released measure 32 for some ships with better than normal bonuses, people would go nuts.  I'm sure there are similar camos for other nations you could introduce or invent that at least appeared inspired by something.

• Cool 1

Members
337 posts
3,605 battles

I can see WG wanting to get the most bang for their buck by reusing existing ships for this type of limited event, I also see the collectors side of not wanting an identical ship to one they already have in port.  They want something new to collect.  

I choose the Shinny horse over the Tirp, and Alabama over the Mass.  This might give me reason to re-evaluate these ships, I already have the Texas, but haven't picked up Warsprite yet, so might give it a second look also if it were to become available in Black.  I usually pick up a ship here and there when the mood strikes.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,786 posts
5,374 battles

I think when they did this in WoT it was so you can unlock the tanks as part of a grind or just buy the Camo. They sell these ships anyways so I don’t see a difference if someone wants a Black version. I haven’t seen any news on this so thanks for sharing. 

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,548 posts
12 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

We do understand there is some controversy around this and really do appreciate everyone's feedback, especially on what you'd like to see Black Camo for. 

How about for some other game?

Edited by JCC45

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
80 posts
5 minutes ago, CagedThunder said:

I don;t udnerstand... wth is a 'black' ship and why would I want one if it is the same thing?

From the devblog:

"ST. Black Friday.

New containers dedicated to Black Friday have been added to the game.

4 new ships are available: Tirpitz B, Atago B, Asashio B, Massachusetts B. Ships main differences are the color scheme permanent camouflage. They have identical characteristics to the existing Ships.

A new special Black Friday camouflage has been added:

-3% detectability range by sea
-4% dispersion of shells fired by the enemy attacking your ship
+75% XP per battle
+150% Free XP
+100% Commander XP
Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary."

Members
101 posts
5 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

From the devblog:

"ST. Black Friday.

New containers dedicated to Black Friday have been added to the game.

4 new ships are available: Tirpitz B, Atago B, Asashio B, Massachusetts B. Ships main differences are the color scheme permanent camouflage. They have identical characteristics to the existing Ships.

A new special Black Friday camouflage has been added:

-3% detectability range by sea
-4% dispersion of shells fired by the enemy attacking your ship
+75% XP per battle
+150% Free XP
+100% Commander XP
Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary."

Wow... this is just so they have more ships you don't want to get in shipmas crates instead of the one you actually want... WG sucks...

Edited by CagedThunder
  • Cool 2

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,287 posts
7,571 battles

WG inflationary game policy, is holding a steady course. Nothing new here, really, but I agree with the dissent and irritation many prbably feel about this announcement. But what else can WG do, now that they have devalued the 'ordinary' premiums with a glut of free xp camos? They have backed themselves into an inflationary corner. Today 'Black' premiums with 150% xp bonuses, tomorrow, 'Orange' premiums with 200% xp. I recently took a hard look at my own whaling with the premium store, and decided to take a good hard break from spending on WOWS, the game is far too much of a slot machine these days, and as we all know, in the long run, the only winner, is the house.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
80 posts
13 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Srsly.  No, actually, on second thought that's not completely accurate.  There is a camo that's referenced, but I imagine it's consumable.  Conceivably you could use that to make any (except ARP) ship black.

-R

(at least it looks that way)

Not talking about the Friday consumable camo, talking about new "black" versions of existing premium ships.  They are seperate as far as I can tell.

[SIDE]
Members
1,319 posts
9,334 battles

More revenue for WG. I didn't buy into the black camo in WoT, and won't here either. It's a gimmick.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
80 posts
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

WG inflationary game policy, is holding a steady course. Nothing new here, really, but I agree with the dissent and irritation many prbably feel about this announcement. But what else can WG do, now that they have devalued the 'ordinary' premiums with a glut of free xp camos? They have backed themselves into an inflationary corner. Today 'Black' premiums with 150% xp bonuses, tomorrow, 'Orange' premiums with 200% xp.

Again, I think the "black" versions are exactly the same as the existing ship versions except, black.

The 150% camo appears to be completely different and not related to the new ships version. The way it is worded is confusing.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
871 posts
9,069 battles

I remember WOT had/has the T34 Black and IS-6 Black. Other than color same tanks as the regular premiums and they were quite popular for a short time. They were released shortly before the onslaught of "idiot resistant" premium heavies. 

I never saw the point of having them unless you were just hard core for training US and RU crews.

For wows I'll just throw a few bucks to convert xp if I need to level a capt that fast.

Members
616 posts
62 battles
37 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The camouflage bonuses are appealing if they were offered separately, but these will probably be some 100$ bundles. :Smile_hiding:

I hoped these practices wouldn't transfer from WoT here...

This

[SYJ]
Members
1,010 posts
2,260 battles
24 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Personally, I see no reason other than cash flow to make black ships their own separate ship. Forget any west Virginia post refit controversy, this is just clones. Black ships are litterally just premium ships with permanent camoflages. Why do they get to be their own thing?

If it was me I would just make black camos a premium camo for ships. The benifits are great and if artic can be 4k doubloons you can make good money from black permanet camos.

But I get it. These camos haul in a decent cash flow, and I am one voice among thousands... a fraction of a fraction of a percent of wargamings revenue. I appreciate the acknowledgement of your need for feedback:Smile_honoring: