Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sakura_Kaze

Help with DDs

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles

I don't know if I am posting this in the right spot or not and I apologize if I am not. I used to really enjoy World Of Warships destroyer play a few years back now. I've been playing since year 1 of the release but lately I feel like I've bitten the bullet with destroyers.. I want to play them and have fun in them but I don't know what I should do. I really miss the teamplay aspects of destroyers and I just feel like with the game being the way it is now I can't do that anymore. I'd really appreciate any advice on the matter on playing DDs and being supportive to the team. I want to be a better DD player and have fun at the same time. If anyone has any advice on how to properly play destroyers in 2018 and what line of DDs would be the best for the more supportive style of gameplay I'd greatly appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,876
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,212 posts
20,553 battles
15 minutes ago, Imperialist_Loli said:

I don't know if I am posting this in the right spot or not and I apologize if I am not. I used to really enjoy World Of Warships destroyer play a few years back now. I've been playing since year 1 of the release but lately I feel like I've bitten the bullet with destroyers.. I want to play them and have fun in them but I don't know what I should do. I really miss the teamplay aspects of destroyers and I just feel like with the game being the way it is now I can't do that anymore. I'd really appreciate any advice on the matter on playing DDs and being supportive to the team. I want to be a better DD player and have fun at the same time. If anyone has any advice on how to properly play destroyers in 2018 and what line of DDs would be the best for the more supportive style of gameplay I'd greatly appreciate it.

Is there anything in particular you have concerns about? Capping? Spotting? DD knife fighting? Ambushing capital ships? Radar cruisers?

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Is there anything in particular you have concerns about? Capping? Spotting? DD knife fighting? Ambushing capital ships? Radar cruisers?

I'd have to say capping now and dealing with radar cruisers. I really struggle with those tasks now and I feel like if I stay out of radar range I don't do much to help my team. But if I push in I also don't do much to help my team because I die right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,566
[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,353 posts
21 minutes ago, Imperialist_Loli said:

I don't know if I am posting this in the right spot or not and I apologize if I am not. I used to really enjoy World Of Warships destroyer play a few years back now. I've been playing since year 1 of the release but lately I feel like I've bitten the bullet with destroyers.. I want to play them and have fun in them but I don't know what I should do. I really miss the teamplay aspects of destroyers and I just feel like with the game being the way it is now I can't do that anymore. I'd really appreciate any advice on the matter on playing DDs and being supportive to the team. I want to be a better DD player and have fun at the same time. If anyone has any advice on how to properly play destroyers in 2018 and what line of DDs would be the best for the more supportive style of gameplay I'd greatly appreciate it.

What is this team play of which you speak? I have always considered the proper role for a destroyer is that of ambush predator. Your job is to vanish at the start of a battle. Yes, your team can see you on the mini-map, but the other team shouldn't see you, just your torps. Since you are out ahead of your team, there will be some incidental spotting, usually just enough for your team to spook your prey into changing course and screwing up your torp launch, but honestly, until those battleships start handing over a chunk of their credits and xp for the damage caused by my spotting, then they can go find their own targets. The game does not actually reward team play. At best it rewards a division of two or three friends who have some semblance of a plan.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,250
[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,819 posts
38,629 battles

Don't cap early.

Life for a DD in T8+ is tough.

I am a DD main. Started with torpers (IJN) and morphed to mostly gunboats (still do both). I almost stopped (ir at least reduced) T8+ DD work a lot in PvP (still do in Coop). due to radar. If you see a Worc or a DM it is bad news. Know their reach and length. Moskva, Donskoi, Chapayev are bad news. Atlanta more so. And the list goes on with many more.

Have the cavalry nearby when you spot them, they get targeted. Adapt and persevere.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles
7 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

What is this team play of which you speak? I have always considered the proper role for a destroyer is that of ambush predator. Your job is to vanish at the start of a battle. Yes, your team can see you on the mini-map, but the other team shouldn't see you, just your torps. Since you are out ahead of your team, there will be some incidental spotting, usually just enough for your team to spook your prey into changing course and screwing up your torp launch, but honestly, until those battleships start handing over a chunk of their credits and xp for the damage caused by my spotting, then they can go find their own targets. The game does not actually reward team play. At best it rewards a division of two or three friends who have some semblance of a plan.

 

So you recommend to just try and hide at the start of a match and spot? That's a shame that it doesn't reward teamplay. My problem is I really have bad luck with torp drops, they seem to be just too easy to evade. But I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for the response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles
8 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Don't cap early.

Life for a DD in T8+ is tough.

I am a DD main. Started with torpers (IJN) and morphed to mostly gunboats (still do both). I almost stopped (ir at least reduced) T8+ DD work a lot in PvP (still do in Coop). due to radar. If you see a Worc or a DM it is bad news. Know their reach and length. Moskva, Donskoi, Chapayev are bad news. Atlanta more so. And the list goes on with many more.

Have the cavalry nearby when you spot them, they get targeted. Adapt and persevere.

Yeah I try to deal with the radar and I know the ranges for the most part, but it just gets kind of annoying when I have to stay far back from the battle to avoid getting radared in the first place. I feel like if I stay in the back I end up not doing anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles

I honestly just want to be a better player and to be able to have fun in DDs and adapt to the current meta of the game. But I am just really struggling with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,818
[--K--]
Members
5,429 posts
18,821 battles

OP,  have you tried professional?  Let me show you how to get some insight to your problem. Step 1, have replays enabled. Step 2, play the ship you are having problems with. Step 3, grab a coin preferably something made of gold [one of those gold foil chocolate coins will work] and summon the Master of Replay commentary. Repeat the following.  
 
I Summon Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Guardian of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Ruler of Bitcoinestan, Inspector General of Signals, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Keeper of Krakens, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in their time of need.
 
Submit your replay to the nice dragon who shows up and than tune into the weekend live stream for a review. Or catch the replay later when it goes up on the YouTube channel. 

Good luck and fair seas, 

Minion of Smaug 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,583
[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,410 posts
26,691 battles

lol o/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,566
[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,353 posts
1 hour ago, Imperialist_Loli said:

So you recommend to just try and hide at the start of a match and spot? That's a shame that it doesn't reward teamplay. My problem is I really have bad luck with torp drops, they seem to be just too easy to evade. But I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for the response.

When I say your job is to vanish, I am not saying hide. I am saying that you look at the start of a battle to see who your opposition DDs are, and who the radar cruisers are. You should know the surface detection range of your boat, as well as that of all the other destroyers in the game. You are small and fast, use that to get into an advantageous position. You know where the caps are, so you know where to find the enemy. This is where the ambush predator part comes in. You are the crocodile. The cap is a watering hole. When something comes to get a drink, you make one quick lunge and drag that tender, juicy, baby cruiser down by the throat and drown it. 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,876
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,212 posts
20,553 battles
2 hours ago, Imperialist_Loli said:

I'd have to say capping now and dealing with radar cruisers. I really struggle with those tasks now and I feel like if I stay out of radar range I don't do much to help my team. But if I push in I also don't do much to help my team because I die right away.

I'd suggest take a quick glance at the start of a game and see how many enemy radar cruisers and DD's your facing. If the enemy DD's have a better concealment than your DD then you would benefit with a additional friendly DD sailing with you if possible. Use islands to your advantage if you can. The 4 point captain skill RDF is a MAJOR help. 

Just try to be mindful of the edge of your detection range. Glance at the mini map to make sure your not yolo'ing to your doom. If you don't have support from your teammates then don't die on that cap alone. It's frustrating for you, and hurts your team.

DD's can be very fun and are very valuable assets for your team. Good luck and have fun! :Smile_honoring:

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles
18 minutes ago, Doombeagle said:

When I say your job is to vanish, I am not saying hide. I am saying that you look at the start of a battle to see who your opposition DDs are, and who the radar cruisers are. You should know the surface detection range of your boat, as well as that of all the other destroyers in the game. You are small and fast, use that to get into an advantageous position. You know where the caps are, so you know where to find the enemy. This is where the ambush predator part comes in. You are the crocodile. The cap is a watering hole. When something comes to get a drink, you make one quick lunge and drag that tender, juicy, baby cruiser down by the throat and drown it. 

Ohhh I see! That helps. Thank you! I will try that at some point for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles
3 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I'd suggest take a quick glance at the start of a game and see how many enemy radar cruisers and DD's your facing. If the enemy DD's have a better concealment than your DD then you would benefit with a additional friendly DD sailing with you if possible. Use islands to your advantage if you can. The 4 point captain skill RDF is a MAJOR help. 

Just try to be mindful of the edge of your detection range. Glance at the mini map to make sure your not yolo'ing to your doom. If you don't have support from your teammates then don't die on that cap alone. It's frustrating for you, and hurts your team.

DD's can be very fun and are very valuable assets for your team. Good luck and have fun! :Smile_honoring:

 

 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
3,499 posts
14,015 battles
2 hours ago, Imperialist_Loli said:

I honestly just want to be a better player and to be able to have fun in DDs and adapt to the current meta of the game. But I am just really struggling with it.

I have some videos up at the link below aimed at improving peoples skills in DDs.

Take a look.  If you have questions feel free to leave a comment there or send a PM.  What DDs are giving you issues?  If I have time I can try to make some videos for you on how I approach them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[GLE]
Members
119 posts
12,005 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I have some videos up at the link below aimed at improving peoples skills in DDs.

Take a look.  If you have questions feel free to leave a comment there or send a PM.  What DDs are giving you issues?  If I have time I can try to make some videos for you on how I approach them.

Thank you so much! I'll watch some of the videos now :) I appreciate the response. It's just in general with destroyers not any specific one at the moment. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,082
[SALVO]
Members
26,766 posts
32,227 battles
2 hours ago, Imperialist_Loli said:

So you recommend to just try and hide at the start of a match and spot? That's a shame that it doesn't reward teamplay. My problem is I really have bad luck with torp drops, they seem to be just too easy to evade. But I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for the response.

Just remember that sometimes when enemy ships dodge your torps, they may open themselves up to broadside shots from your team mates.  If you can arrange things properly, it doesn't hurt to try to launch torps from an angle where the enemy will be faced with the choice of eating the torps or opening up his broadside to your team mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,544
[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,738 battles

1) Bait radar. Go ahead and cap right away as your team really needs those points. But when you enter a cap, immediately turn around and stop so that your nose is pointing back at your spawn while still sitting in the cap. If you get radared, just run out. Radar cruisers have limited range and those cruisers will typically sit right at the edge of their radar range. Count to 35 and then go back in.

2) Pick your fights well. If you and an enemy DD spot each other, compare your respective support. If you have more ships supporting you, fire away. If the enemy DD has more, you need to disengage. Of course, if you're a German DD with long range Hydro and the enemy DD smokes up, you can have a field day. Also remember that DDs, like other ships, get detected at their gun range when they start firing. If you have allies that are close enough to be within their gun range, smoke up and keep shooting it. Just make sure that your smoke doesn't break line of sight for your ally.

3) Smoke clouds are torp magnets. Toss your torps into it. And if you are sitting in smoke, stay at an angle so that if your own smoke gets torped, it'll be easier to accelerate and thread the needle.

4) Like all ships, map awareness is key. Pay attention to how many enemy ships have line of sight to you (or you believe can reliably shoot over islands). Check which enemy ships have their guns pointed in your general direction.  As a DD, you don't need to always be invisible. You can become visible if the risk is reduced. Especially when it comes to taking out other DDs. Obviously, Japanese torpedo boats are the exception.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
3,499 posts
14,015 battles
On 10/10/2018 at 12:28 AM, Imperialist_Loli said:

Thank you so much! I'll watch some of the videos now :) I appreciate the response. It's just in general with destroyers not any specific one at the moment. Thank you!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.  I am waging war on the DD skill gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
116 posts
13,753 battles
On 10/9/2018 at 9:46 PM, Doombeagle said:

When I say your job is to vanish, I am not saying hide. I am saying that you look at the start of a battle to see who your opposition DDs are, and who the radar cruisers are. You should know the surface detection range of your boat, as well as that of all the other destroyers in the game. You are small and fast, use that to get into an advantageous position. You know where the caps are, so you know where to find the enemy. This is where the ambush predator part comes in. You are the crocodile. The cap is a watering hole. When something comes to get a drink, you make one quick lunge and drag that tender, juicy, baby cruiser down by the throat and drown it. 

I agree with Doombeagle here... This to me is the essence of contesting a cap.   You don't have to take it right off, you can be effective for your team simply by being there sneaky like, then punking the unwary, taking the cap back once the opposition moves on or poking the edge of a cap (with an escape route close at hand) in order to bait CA's to pop off their radar.   You can also transition into herding mode, dropping torps or showing yourself very briefly, to get opfor capital ships to move away from you into the line of fire of others or to chase you and pull them from the main fight.    If you are not divisioned up..  watch the flow of you team and adjust what you are trying to do.   play the screen on the weak flank and slow down advances there..  get out in front of a push and screen/hunt DD's in front of that.   And above all, keep in mind that in absence of a CV, a DD has the most influence on the outcome of a game once you are past the mid point,   So be aggressive early but don't be rash.  Don't try to force things to happen.  Keep your situational awareness on high (location/range of radar, location of other DDs, etc) and leave yourself a way to quickly disengage and re position for better opportunities.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
337
Members
452 posts
On 10/9/2018 at 6:38 PM, Imperialist_Loli said:

I'd have to say capping now and dealing with radar cruisers. I really struggle with those tasks now and I feel like if I stay out of radar range I don't do much to help my team. But if I push in I also don't do much to help my team because I die right away.

Play gunboat DDs at range.  Stop trying to cap.  Radar is a cancer in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×