You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ObnoxiousPotato

Is Raptor Rescue a bit too difficult?

37 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
148 posts
11,805 battles

Operation of the Week "Raptor Rescue": Is this operation a bit too difficult when given a team made up with random players?

Not sure what the maximum number of DDs are for the 'operation', but allowing three seems excessive when "fielding a team with random players".

An adjustment to the operation appears to be needed (or I've just been extraordinarily unlucky).

Thoughts?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Members
2,899 posts
1,365 battles

Its honestly not that bad.  Your team just needs the fundamental basics in avoiding fire, focus fire and some wasd hax.

If your team can manage to survive, and make good use of the repair ship, as well as kill torp ships quickly you should be fine.  The torp soup can get thick quick....

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[H_]
Members
218 posts
7,000 battles

Sometimes it seems extremely difficult and in other games super simple.  I find it hardest when toward the end the three BB's coming sailing in from the left.  When that happens usually it's a loss.  Otherwise it's about equal between crushing it and getting crushed.

DD's are ok in the game but seemingly people that bring them tend to get a bit aggressive against the bots, bad idea as they dodge torps like nobodies business and don't miss shooting you. 

I find it fun and challenging and have been trying different ships, fast firing cruisers by far are the "ideal" boat for the scenario, DD's work but you have to be patient and pick your attacks carefully and BB's well.. good to have; slow firing but can make a difference at the end.  CV's eh,, good ones make the scenario easier, not so good ones kind of hinders the team overall.

I don't think the operation needs any adjustment, probably just have had a bad run of MM..

One thing that tends to get teams during the match is when the first carrier appears, all of a sudden 3 ships are headed up there to kill it, only problem is you need the firepower down around the Raptor because that's when the DD's show up.  A lot of the losses I've been part of have been right there where the Raptor basically get's torped to death..

Only 1 ship should go for that CV.. maybe 2 depending on health of other teammates.  Last game I played our CV actually sank that CV and we were able to role through the DD's.

Just keep playing it can be challenging but it is fun.

[SALVO]
Members
148 posts
11,805 battles

Just played another one with random folks...    I'm pretty much #1 or (more rarely) #2 in XP each battle, yet it seems like 80+% of the operations result in a complete FAIL due to some combination of bad or lower skilled players (or perhaps too many are just tactically challenged?) and/or bad mix of ships.

The operation needs to be toned down a bit so that random teams have a better chance to at least complete the mission successfully with 1 or 2 stars.

Until then, this operation is pretty much a waste of time.

• Cool 7

[NG-NL]
Members
4,966 posts
8,109 battles

It's honestly not hard, just have to be quick about hammering the nearby threats with focusfire.

Secondary-build Bayvern is actually supposed to be one of the best, and I've won before in Graf Spee. It's a matter of knowing your ship well for the operations.

• Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
148 posts
11,805 battles
11 minutes ago, Reymu said:

It's honestly not hard, just have to be quick about hammering the nearby threats with focusfire.

For a team of random players, it is too difficult.  WG needs to take note and make an adjustment.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
958 posts
6,372 battles

The operations overall are terrible, there's no consistency in difficulty between them... some are too easy, some are practically impossible to PUG, none of them provide proper direction in what to do or where to go for players who are new to them.

• Cool 2

[DPG]
Members
824 posts
4,246 battles

It's not difficult if the team gets out in front of the CV.  Unfortunately, most people huddle around it and when the enemy ships spawn in they're going to ignore you and go after Raptor.  You have to make yourself a juicier target.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
4,966 posts
8,109 battles
17 minutes ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

For a team of random players, it is too difficult.  WG needs to take note and make an adjustment.

If the random players come unprepared, of course it's too difficult.

But that is not WG's fault. They make the product. It's on these consumers to learn how best to use it.

• Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
148 posts
11,805 battles
1 minute ago, Amenhir said:

It's not difficult if the team gets out in front of the CV.  Unfortunately, most people huddle around it and when the enemy ships spawn in they're going to ignore you and go after Raptor.  You have to make yourself a juicier target.

random players typically don't take the time to figure out how to play it correctly, plus given the abundance of relatively lower skilled players, the operation is a bit too much. An adjustment is needed.   I don't want it to be a "cake walk" for 5 stars, but at least give a random group of players a chance at successfully completing the operation.

Perhaps some have been lucky with getting good teams, but I haven't had but one or two decent teams in over four days (am thinking about 1/5th of the time you get a team that is mostly competent).

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,720 posts
3,905 battles
1 hour ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

Operation of the Week "Raptor Rescue": Is this operation a bit too difficult when given a team made up with random players?

Not sure what the maximum number of DDs are for the 'operation', but allowing three seems excessive when "fielding a team with random players".

An adjustment to the operation appears to be needed (or I've just been extraordinarily unlucky).

Thoughts?

Biggest thing I've noticed about RR since they messed it up adjusted it is the inconsistency.  I had back to back games, in the first we got 5 stars, didn't lose a player and barely broke a sweat.  In the next, the entire team was obliterated by the time Raptor reached the rendezvous point where it pauses.  And a lot of the same players were in both.  

And DD's can do well.  But the DD player needs to understand there is a '2' key on the board.  A LOT of the cruisers will show broadside close enough where even DD AP will do a number on them.  One game I played in the Fairy-gut.  Before the countdown reaches 0, another player is bemoaning the fact there are 3 DD's.  I got 8 kills and topped the board, another DD was 3rd.  Mr. Complainer died early to (you guessed it) the torps from the first DD that shows up.  DD's can do well, but often times they get focused and die early.  

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,873 battles
34 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

This, exactly!

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
958 posts
6,372 battles
39 minutes ago, Reymu said:

If the random players come unprepared, of course it's too difficult.

But that is not WG's fault. They make the product. It's on these consumers to learn how best to use it.

Thank you for admitting that operations are too difficult for PUGs to succeed in.

• Cool 2

[DPG]
Members
824 posts
4,246 battles
41 minutes ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

random players typically don't take the time to figure out how to play it correctly, plus given the abundance of relatively lower skilled players, the operation is a bit too much. An adjustment is needed.   I don't want it to be a "cake walk" for 5 stars, but at least give a random group of players a chance at successfully completing the operation.

Perhaps some have been lucky with getting good teams, but I haven't had but one or two decent teams in over four days (am thinking about 1/5th of the time you get a team that is mostly competent).

I understand that "typical players" ignore you when you say "Get in front of the CV and don't crowd around it."  They really need to update the rewards because most "competent players" have five starred everything so many times they don't bother with them, unless they're grinding through a new line.

Members
8,076 posts
17,037 battles
1 hour ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

Just played another one with random folks...    I'm pretty much #1 or (more rarely) #2 in XP each battle, yet it seems like 80+% of the operations result in a complete FAIL due to some combination of bad or lower skilled players (or perhaps too many are just tactically challenged?) and/or bad mix of ships.

The operation needs to be toned down a bit so that random teams have a better chance to at least complete the mission successfully with 1 or 2 stars.

Until then, this operation is pretty much a waste of time.

Like many other Ops WG 'fixed' RR has basically been reduced to hoping your team has half a brain if you're playing solo.

Horray for you if you play in a big division and everyone's perfect; that equals 'easy.'

Solo Randoms; not so much.

Five games just now. Five star with no losses, and four lossess where the teams werte utterly worthless.

That's without even taking into account WG's new 'smarter' bots who somehow manage to avoid even manual dropped torps...

'Oh; you just want it to be easy...'

Ya fricking think? If I want stress I'll play Randoms or Ranked.

• Cool 1

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
829 posts
4,565 battles

I tried it in my Arizona and could never get in front of Raptor I did manage to get 180k damage but failed. Not sure when it was that my team died. The tricky thing I found was getting your guns pointed in the right direction. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,570 posts
3,740 battles

This op is difficult since there is little freedom of movement as you need to protect raptor and put yourself in harms way.

Obviously this is something not everyone is used to do.

• Funny 1

[90THD]
Members
136 posts
3,612 battles

its a total waste of time

they replaced dynamo, with successes, to raptor rescue where i get a FAIL everytime

Im usually 1 of last alive, and its always a fail

I give up, too hard for a Random Team

Regards

JM

• Angry 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles

Absolutely not. The people that have been doing the operations recently are just terrible players. The operations have always been extremely easy, but they used to attract decent players instead of potatoes.

If I had my way, there would be a lock on operations if you were under a 45% WR. That or just swap its unlock with that of Clan battles in the service record.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
958 posts
6,372 battles
2 minutes ago, SerahKhan said:

its a total waste of time

they replaced dynamo, with successes, to raptor rescue where i get a FAIL everytime

Im usually 1 of last alive, and its always a fail

I give up, too hard for a Random Team

Regards

JM

That's because our ships are based around performance in random PvP where teams of 8-12 ships each go at each other, they're not designed or balanced to be outnumbered 3 or 4 or 5 to 1... even if the opponents are lower tier. 

Equal-team PvP and team vs mob PvE are two completely different types of play, and it is exceedingly difficult to have a game where both playstyles work equally well. Over the years I've seen a number of different development teams try in numerous games... and none of them have succeeded. You either balance things for PvP and have players get slaughtered when they are outnumbered by bots in PvE, or you balance for PvE and have PvP dominated by a few extremely powerful builds. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
958 posts
6,372 battles
Just now, pewpewpew42 said:

Absolutely not. The people that have been doing the operations recently are just terrible players. The operations have always been extremely easy, but they used to attract decent players instead of potatoes.

If I had my way, there would be a lock on operations if you were under a 45% WR. That or just swap its unlock with that of Clan battles in the service record.

I will say again, your average player is a potato.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,223 posts
8,804 battles
2 hours ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

I have five stared this operation but it seems that lately a lot of people that have no experience with this op have been doing it which makes getting even one star a struggle. The best thing to do would be to get seven people together and do Dynamo which is dirt easy to three star, five stars take a bit of luck and good work, a few times.

Members
4 posts
176 battles

I've struggled with this mission quite a bit, but I finally got it through taking the right ship and teamwork.

You might think "duuuh of course take the right ship'', but from my limited experience cruisers seem to do way better than BB's or DD's, although i had a VERY good operation in the Aigle, so... take my advice with a grain of salt i guess? But ships like the Nurnberg and Aoba seem to do particularly well.  REMEMBER YOU HAVE AP GUYS! if an enemy shows a juicy broadside, give them a right old paddlin'!

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
958 posts
6,372 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The best thing to do would be to get seven people together and do Dynamo which is dirt easy to three star, five stars take a bit of luck and good work, a few times.

The best thing is to always have a premade team where everybody knows what to do, but that's not how MMOs work. In order for a mission to be considered good a random group of people with no communication and little advance knowledge of the objectives should be able to win... not necessarily 5-start it, but at least win. That's basic game design that ANY developer should have an understanding of.