You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

What your favorite battleships that you can never have enough fun with?

38 comments in this topic

[DOW]
Members
870 posts
5,610 battles

5bb975213ad9e_2018-10-09bestships.thumb.png.bf6b18a735711010cfb973f6e8741e92.png

By the title I mean the ships you wish you could play more and be your top ships. Sometimes we stuck in grinding in bad ships and the good ones end up idling in port.:fish_cute_2:

For me I have tried to focus on the ships that really mean a lot to me in this game:

• Massachusetts: Precise secondaries and punchy big guns. If you combine the art of pushing with team and hugging islands, she  feels like an Alabama with a Cleveland attached to her sides. <3
  • Scharnhorst: Torpedoes, cruiser guns, and turtleback for brawling. Many use her to sniper and her guns deal little damage that way. But if you know when to pick a brawl, she can be so incredible. <3
  • Cesare: Incredible damage projection even at maximum range, but pushing aggressively is where she truly shines. This ship feels like Musashi guns and battleship armor installed on a cruiser. <3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,341 posts
4,711 battles

Hood.  Particularly when I sink Bismarck with it.

• Funny 2

[36]
Beta Testers
245 posts
8,882 battles

Roma, that is if she didn't have a sprained ankle, and a few broken ribs like she does in-game (mainly her armor layout is wrong to how it was historically).

They put together her main outer belts while removing the dual-turtleback splinter plate design that would've made her more resilient, not to mention a list of other problems. 

She shouldn't get HE, but the historical two types of AP ammo she carried historically as all Italian Battleships only carried AP and SAP shells for their main guns.

The range of Roma in-game is a smack in the face not only to her historical ranges but also the legacy of her having the longest ranged guns ever mounted on a battleship: "The guns were the most powerful weapons of their caliber, comparable to those of much greater caliber. This was largely due to their exceptional muzzle velocity, although this came at a cost. The high velocity and energies in the firing chamber lead to a much faster rate of barrel wear compared to other naval guns, and also resulted in excessive dispersion at maximum range. Because of this, the final velocity of the Palla rounds was reduced from 870 m/s to 850 m/s. Even with this reduced velocity, the 381/50 had the longest range of any rifles ever mounted on a battleship, the 884.8 kg AP rounds able to reach 42.8 km at the maximum elevation of +36º. This out-ranged the 46cm/45 Type 94 of the Yamato-class by almost 800 meters, and the 16"/50 Mk.7 of the Iowa-class by over 4000 meters. The Armor-Piercing shells had similar penetrative ability against vertical (belt) armor to the two aforementioned weapons, but due to the shallow angle of impact and high velocity of the shells, their performance against horizontal (deck) armor was far inferior." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_381/50_Ansaldo_M1934)

Yet in-game they give you the drawback of bad dispersion with their high velocity at long range, but they don't give you the long max range to really make use of that very fast shell velocity, while still giving you very unreliable dispersion. When historically not only did she have a very advanced fire control system that allowed her to easily track, bracket, and then hit a target reliably time after time. Littorio/Italia demonstrated that its grouping was accurate enough and tight enough to cause splinter damage to RN DDs during the first battle of Sirte Gulf (17 December 1941), starting from a range of 35,000 yards (Source; Robert O. Dulin & William H. Garzke: Battleships Axis and Neutral Battleships of WWII, page 397).  What is even more telling about the main gun accuracy, and the exceptional fire control of the Vittorio Veneto class, was that range was determined, main battery was trained, and accurate salvos delivered repeatedly against fast-moving destroyers, in under 7 minutes, with only a single turret firing, with shell flight time being roughly 65 seconds.  The splintering was not a single, lucky shell, but rather, was repeated in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th salvos fired, prompting the enemy to lay down a smokescreen for protection from further damage - from a ship that was over 35,000 yards (about 20 miles) away.  

Keep in mind that during Bismarck's last battle, Rodney, closing from 22,000 yards, required over 10 minutes for her gunlayer to get his first straddle on Bismarck ( a huge target compared to the DDs Littorio fired at, moving at only 8 knots, not 30+),
 As such this current "Roma" is really only Roma in name and looks alone. and after playing over 130 games in her alone, I think I'm qualified to make the statement she does not live up to her historical armor, Gunnery, heck top speed even.

"The 381 mm guns had a maximum elevation of 35 degrees, which allowed them to engage targets out to 42,260 m (138,650 ft). The guns fired a 885 kg (1,951 lb) armor-piercing (AP) shell at a muzzle velocity of 870 meters per second (2,900 ft/s). However, this was reduced to 850 m/s (2,800 ft/s) in order to reduce dispersion and increase barrel service life. The 824.3 kg (1,817 lb) semi-armor piercing shells formed the secondary ammunition of the 381mm/50, which had a 29.51 kg (65.1 lb) bursting charge. Although high explosive shells weighing 774 kg (1,706 lb) were developed for the 381 mm guns, they never saw service on the Littorio-class. Their ammunition load was 495 AP shells and 171 SAP shells, with 4,320 propellant charges (666 rounds total, or 74 rounds per gun split 55 AP & 19 SAP)"

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_381/50_Ansaldo_M1934)

"AP: The primary armor-piercing round, in Italian these rounds, were known as "Palla" (literally; "ball") or "Proiettile Perforante" ("Piercing Shot"). They were heavy for their caliber at 884.8 kg (1,951 lb), with a small bursting charge of only 10.16 kg TNT (1.15%). The shells were made of nickel-chrome steel, with a steel cap and a Silumin ballistic cap. The total length was 170 cm (67 in), or 4.46 calibers.

SAP: A semi armor-piercing round named "Granata Perforante" ("Piercing Shell") designed for use against lightly armored targets such as cruisers and destroyers. They were lighter than the AP shells with a greater bursting charge (3.57%), and had a significantly lesser penetrative ability. During the war, they showed an unfortunate tendency to fuse later than they had been set to, which lead to over-penetrations of their targets.

HE: High explosive shells, these weighed only 774 kilograms (1,710 lb). Although designed and tested for these guns, they were never actually used aboard any ship that mounted these guns. The nose fuse was thought to be too sensitive."

They really need to fix this #JusticeForRoma #ReworkRoma #BuffRoma #HistoricalDiscrepancies

Screenshot 2018-10-04 at 9.55.32 AM.png

Edited by TheDgamesD
  • Cool 4

Members
1,515 posts
7,867 battles

My warspite is always enjoyable, as well as the arizona. Mutsu, konig albert and imperator nic are also fun. Oddly enough i usually have fun in the turenne as well.

Edited by Hangoverhomey

[FLNVY]
[FLNVY]
Members
4 posts
11,960 battles

Everyone is mostly mentioning Premium ships- how about some good old fashioned tech tree ships? I'm fond of my kraut BBs like Nassau and Bayern. Normandie is a fun ride as well if she's not too up tiered.

[THREE]
Members
2,301 posts
12,376 battles

Hey

I like the German line overall lowest to highest, but also like the higher tier French BB's, then there is the soft spot of the T5 Italian G. Cesare.  Of the premiums; Warspite, Scharnhorst, Alabama and Gascogne, Tirpitz are all fun.  Hard to beat a close in brawl with 2 BB's circling each other wondering who is coming out on top.

Pete

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

The South Carolina or Wyoming if I'm clubbing but generally I love all T6 BBs or my Scharnhorst and Colorado. If my night is going bad any 1 of those ships brings me out of my funk 

[UTWE]
Members
352 posts
5,545 battles

By far Hood, what an amazing ship i've played so many battles in it that it's become the only ship i'm good with ;) . KGV and DoY are fun too but they're basically the same ship.

[UTWE]
Members
352 posts
5,545 battles
On 10/6/2018 at 11:19 PM, Helstrem said:

Hood.  Particularly when I sink Bismarck with it.

Love this, Sinking Bismark with Hood brings great joy... REVENGE

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,341 posts
4,711 battles
51 minutes ago, Iron_Salvo921 said:

Love this, Sinking Bismark with Hood brings great joy... REVENGE

"REVENGE" is exactly what I typed into global chat when last sank a Bismarck with Hood a week ago.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,310 posts

Lyon; Missouri; and Monty.   I just love to play em!

So-Cal, if I'm in the mood for low tier fun.   The 12" armed US BB's are just too much fun to play!   The tier 4 Frenchie is great fun, too.

edit:

Alsace!!!!!   I just love this thing.

Nelson is a surprisingly good time, too.  I always seem to enjoy my games in it.

Edited by Fletcher7_1944

Members
78 posts
3,108 battles

Hood is one of my favourites. At T7 her AP is savage against cruisers. Deals with BBs just fine. Big health pool and shes quick.

Tirpitz. Shes just tough. It's hard to have a bad game in her, she can take some punishment and deal it.

Warspite. Good concealment, great guns.

I actually miss playing Fuso though. All those guns and that range. I've citadelled so many BBs almost straight out of their spawn.

[PVE]
Members
11,217 posts
21,511 battles

So many BB's I actually like. These are the top 3 by kills...

PPzdCiw.jpg

That is just kills though. At one time Konig was a favorite and most played BB (still is at 308 games but it is being caught)  but then they nerfed the accuracy and the ship is just not the same and I don't play it much now. Pretty much these days my most played BB's are Montana, Missouri, Yamato, Alsace (like Konig they needlessly nerfed it and the ship has suffered a lot but I still play it unlike Konig), and Republique. Pretty much every day I play those. Low tier it is Wyoming but I don't play that much anymore. I also like Hood, Tirpitz, and Alabama. Play them frequently.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,507 posts
6,854 battles

Roma. A joy to play for someone who likes maneuver and positioning, and hates static play. Extremely powerful guns that punish even T10s.

But I end up playing other BBs more due to missions/etc. Roma's catching up though.

Edited by MnemonScarlet

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,302 posts
6,266 battles

Roma handles like a dream, she's probably my favorite of the tier 8s and second-favorite overall. This is a BEAUTIFUL ship that can dole out the hurt and dance with the best of them. Before I started playing and looking into the history of these ships (and tanks) I always wondered why Italy seemed to be such a non-entity outside of the North African campaigns and getting invaded. Knowing just makes it painfully facepalm-worthy if not absolutely criminal that Italian leadership was so inept. I cannot wait to see what Littorio will be like in comparison once the proper Italian tech tree is out.

Alabama comes pretty close behind her though. She's not as flashy, but more reliable and consistent. I hadn't even heard of the South Dakota class before looking into whether or not I should buy the Lucky A, but having played her she definitely lives up to her reputation of "Best of the treaty battleships". I'm curious to try Massachusetts at some point, but neither I nor my wallet are in too much of a hurry.

I'm rather enjoying King George V too, definitely a keeper once I move further up the RN line. Good mobility, a unique set of turrets, and solid guns make her a wonderful platform to take into randoms. I'm still disappointed that, with Vanguard in testing as a premium, the British will join Russia in the "we have a battleship line, but no tech tree tier 8 battleships that actually sailed" club.

Nelson is just troll-ish fun. Sure she's slow, but she turns deceptively fast and those nine 16" rifles at tier 7 are monstrous. I didn't really expect such an oddly built ship to be so fun when I got her, I just thought that, since I had the free XP, I might as well. And I am so glad that I did. She's allergic to fires (moreso than most battleships, she breaks out in dead), but that zombie heal is a godsend. I know that lots of people who play RN will swear by their HE, but honestly there is nothing more satisfying when playing Nelson than to put a full salvo of AP into a broadside battleship and just watch them go from high health to jamming the repair party button as hard as they can because suddenly they're at less than a quarter HP.

I've also gotten quite attached to Colorado. Again, she's slow, but she's tough and those guns get the job done quite handily. I have to admit that the standard battleships have really grown on me. Their speed is still an issue, don't get me wrong, but with the spotter plane it's honestly not that big of a deal. Nine times out of ten if I'm advancing and a ship is out of range, I just have to say "fly my pretties, fly!" and they'll fall within the circle. Plus, again, that armor is just so tough. I've taken Bismarcks in close quarters with this beast!

Speaking of Bismarcks, I have to say I'm surprised by the fact that I don't feel the need to add a German ship on here. Tirpitz is my most played battleship (last I checked) if not most played ship, she carried me through ranked season 9 and has earned me a metric buttload of credits... But at the same time, I find myself reaching for Musashi or Roma over her and her sister these days. I'd even be tempted to put Gneisenau on here before her. And don't get me wrong, Gneisenau and Scharnhorst are great ships but I just don't find myself taking them out much recently.

All that said though, my all-time favorite battleship in the game has to be...

HONHONHONHONHONHON!!!! Do I have to go into why I love this bow-tanking baguette? She's quick, she's agile, her guns are excellent despite their small caliber, she can tank for days when properly positioned, and that position doesn't require giving up any main battery firepower! Dunkerque rules in operations, co-op, operations... Honestly I'm rather hoping that the next full-blown ranked season is tier 6 so that I can try her out in that with all the things I learned from Richelieu. World of Tanks taught me that French vehicles weren't something to be dismissed, but their ships are still in a COMPLETELY different league with how they stack up to other nations. Would I take an AMX-13 variant over another light tank? Maybe, maybe not. Would I take a Dunkerque over another tier 6 battleship? That battleship would be hard pressed to make me say "no". Dunkerque is a wonderful, beautiful ship that deserved far better than what she got in reality.

[AAA]
Members
1,111 posts
12,293 battles

Republic!

honorable mention to Sharnhorst, Lyon, and Alsace 

very honerable Nelson!

Edited by wstugamd

[WOLFC]
Beta Testers
49 posts
7,679 battles

North Carolina, even though when I play her (she's my go to) 95% of the time, I'm stuck in a Tier X match. 

I'd live to play her in an actual Tier VIII battle. 

[UN1]
Members
1,006 posts
3,313 battles

I have a few that I really enjoy:

1. USS Montana:  Ferocious and accurate broadside, juggernaut armor, and strong AA/Secondaries.  I play this ship as a full secondary build because I share its captain with my Massachusetts, and it's much more effective at it than people think.  Also humorous when people respond in chat like, "WTH is that a Montana secondary build?"
  2. USS Massachusetts:  Easy, fun, and very reliable to play just like its fellow US-T8 counterparts.  I just click with this ship.  Very strong T8 brawling battleship.
  3. KMS Koenig:  Signature German brawn without the pathetic main battery performance.  This ship is a blast to play.
  4. USS Arizona:  I've never played a ship that could shrug off high caliber rounds like the Arizona.  Also returns volleys of equal ferocity.
  5. Grober Kurfurst:  Everything you want in a brawling battleship:  Reliable main battery performance, fantastic armor, and secondaries that make you coffee in the morning. 

I find most ships in this game to be a lot of fun and well designed, save for a few (*cough* Friedrich der Grobe *cough*).  But otherwise, each ship is its own personality, and it's fun learning that.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
632 posts
5,935 battles

Kongo -- always a fun ride whenever I get the opportunity.  Favorite moment came when I cit'd a Ryujo from max range.

Scharnhorst -- very comfortable ride.  Hits are always satisfying when they connect.  Torps are a bonus.

And, of course, Massachusetts.  --My default BB to take out of port.  Secondaries quite lethal.  I even got a first kill in a random once, when a DD dove the line too fast trying to dump fish into me.

Honorable mention:  Weirdly, Izumo is starting to make a name for herself.  Definitely got my attention when she cit'd and sunk a Yamato from long range in a co-op game.

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
5,695 battles

Ok, the battleships I've had (or still have):

Kongo - incredible ship, she really fought her butt off!

Fuso - the same, especially with her 10-gun broadsides!

Scharnhorst - Okay, she's got small guns but she's a plucky, hard-hitting warrior, and the love the fact she has torpedoes!

Massachusetts - I've been on board the real ship so many times I just had to have her send out and shoot 'em up. She's awesome!

New Mexico - This is one great battlewagon. I had her after New York, deleted her after I got Fuso, then when I got Scharnhorst and Massachusetts bought her back. 

All of my battleships (New Mex, Scharnhorst, Massachusetts) are on constant Kamikaze duty, though they don't always get the opportunity to ram. Sometimes just a knock-down, drag-out gunfight is sufficient