You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

RN DD Commentaries

19 comments in this topic

[HYDRO]
Members
1,541 posts
3,751 battles

Nice vids, I got the Acasta mission yesterday so I will be having her soon enough myself.

One question about Commander skills however. Is there any specific reason for picking BFT over DE or just personal preference?

I feel that at the role of harassing BBs a fire chance of 10 or even 11% if you got the flags on would make the ships pretty nasty.

Members
4,819 posts
5,596 battles

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai If I can provide a bit of video feedback, your sound quality(volume for voice) is not only low, but sort of all over the place. The first video I had to turn my headset volume way up. I usually keep it around 30-50% volume, while my PC is at 50% volume. The second video I had to crank the headset's volume up to 100% and at times it was still a little tough to hear what you were saying. The second video was definitely quieter than the first. I don't know if this is due to your microphone or recording software, but I thought I'd let you know so maybe in future videos you can get it worked out so it's relatively consistent.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
1,732 posts
9,870 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Nice vids, I got the Acasta mission yesterday so I will be having her soon enough myself.

One question about Commander skills however. Is there any specific reason for picking BFT over DE or just personal preference?

I feel that at the role of harassing BBs a fire chance of 10 or even 11% if you got the flags on would make the ships pretty nasty.

BFT is better in my opinion since you are spending a lot of time fighting DDs.  Boosting the DPM means you get the damage dealt quicker and hopefully will take less damage over a shorter engagement.  The fire chance is decent, and with the ROF increase you see a small increase in fires per minute.  That said, the AP DPM is better when you get broadside shots.  That feeds into me running BFT/AR over DE in almost all cases as well.

Members
1,732 posts
9,870 battles
23 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai If I can provide a bit of video feedback, your sound quality(volume for voice) is not only low, but sort of all over the place. The first video I had to turn my headset volume way up. I usually keep it around 30-50% volume, while my PC is at 50% volume. The second video I had to crank the headset's volume up to 100% and at times it was still a little tough to hear what you were saying. The second video was definitely quieter than the first. I don't know if this is due to your microphone or recording software, but I thought I'd let you know so maybe in future videos you can get it worked out so it's relatively consistent.

Thank you for the feedback.  Still havent sorted it all out from OBS breaking.

I will keep tweaking.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,541 posts
3,751 battles
1 hour ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

BFT is better in my opinion since you are spending a lot of time fighting DDs.  Boosting the DPM means you get the damage dealt quicker and hopefully will take less damage over a shorter engagement.  The fire chance is decent, and with the ROF increase you see a small increase in fires per minute.  That said, the AP DPM is better when you get broadside shots.  That feeds into me running BFT/AR over DE in almost all cases as well.

I see your point, I decided to give that choice a shot. I believe however that a dedicated commander with SE/BFT/DE for Lightning that wouldn't need IFHE and would be possibly interchangeable with Cossack would boost her potential.

That said, I decided to take Acasta for a battle to see how she handles.

shot-18_10.06_03_10.29-0715.thumb.jpg.8f195ac2e0c6feb31dcfa811cd9f4ae0.jpg

While I don't think she's the best of the pack, she has some potential and won't be a miserable grind. The smoke hopping style is pretty interesting as well. :Smile_honoring:

Members
1,732 posts
9,870 battles
30 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I see your point, I decided to give that choice a shot. I believe however that a dedicated commander with SE/BFT/DE for Lightning that wouldn't need IFHE and would be possibly interchangeable with Cossack would boost her potential.

That said, I decided to take Acasta for a battle to see how she handles.

shot-18_10.06_03_10.29-0715.thumb.jpg.8f195ac2e0c6feb31dcfa811cd9f4ae0.jpg

While I don't think she's the best of the pack, she has some potential and won't be a miserable grind. The smoke hopping style is pretty interesting as well. :Smile_honoring:

MIght be some confusion on my recommended build for the 120mm armed RN DDs, since one game I used my Daring captain and was a little surprised by the damage on a bow on Colorado.  I think IFHE is too pricey on the low tier DDs, and might not run it on Daring with the stated AP buff they added.

This is how I would set up Lightning.

http://bit.ly/2y75Fw5

• Cool 1

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Thank you for the feedback.  Still havent sorted it all out from OBS breaking.

I will keep tweaking.

Nice video's OP. Don't know what video editor you use, but if you are having sound issues or want more control than just something like ShadowPlay (I use that to record either from Game play or from replays) you can try Lightworks .

Lightworks is free, though there is a paid version (I'll be buying it soon, love the program tbh). It's fairly user friendly, but the main thing about it, are the features even in the free version, like the ability to add audio to your video, adding still clips in an MP4 video, etc., they even have an option to directly upload to YouTube.

Again, don't know what you're using, but I know when I was looking into doing this for the first time I had a hard time trying to find freeware to do it.

Good luck and again, good vids, looking forward to more!

Members
1,732 posts
9,870 battles
1 hour ago, BURN_Miner said:

Nice video's OP. Don't know what video editor you use, but if you are having sound issues or want more control than just something like ShadowPlay (I use that to record either from Game play or from replays) you can try Lightworks .

Lightworks is free, though there is a paid version (I'll be buying it soon, love the program tbh). It's fairly user friendly, but the main thing about it, are the features even in the free version, like the ability to add audio to your video, adding still clips in an MP4 video, etc., they even have an option to directly upload to YouTube.

Again, don't know what you're using, but I know when I was looking into doing this for the first time I had a hard time trying to find freeware to do it.

Good luck and again, good vids, looking forward to more!

The issue was an OBS update scrubbed my settings between my audio and mic.  Been trying to dial it in since.  I just made a couple videos an hour ago the voice sounds much better.

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,556 battles

I really don't like what they've done with this line. They all seem to play about the same, and the kindest thing I can say about them is: BLAND. They're just spectacularly dull. I've had some good games with a couple of them - some very good games, but they just aren't fun.

I had to sail across a map last game in the Jervis. Without boosting, it took half the game, and my team had evaporated before I got back into action. I'd trade the gimmicky torps for boost if I could...well, if they were half decent torps ( I think the Sims has better torps, maybe).

With the IJN DDs there's perpetual tension. With the Americans and Germans, there's action. (I don't play the Soviets.) With the RN DDs there's yawning. The Brits deserved better than this.

So far, this line has been a big let down.

• Cool 1

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
3 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

I really don't like what they've done with this line. They all seem to play about the same, and the kindest thing I can say about them is: BLAND. They're just spectacularly dull. I've had some good games with a couple of them - some very good games, but they just aren't fun.

I had to sail across a map last game in the Jervis. Without boosting, it took half the game, and my team had evaporated before I got back into action. I'd trade the gimmicky torps for boost if I could...well, if they were half decent torps ( I think the Sims has better torps, maybe).

With the IJN DDs there's perpetual tension. With the Americans and Germans, there's action. (I don't play the Soviets.) With the RN DDs there's yawning. The Brits deserved better than this.

So far, this line has been a big let down.

Half the game? Compared to who in the same tier? Because I hope you realize that there are about 4 or 5 that are either the same speed or 1 knot above. There's even one or two a knot or two slower.

In fact the only truly faster DD's (by real perception) are the USSR's and The Bly.

If you're banking on the "speed boost", that's a whopping 8%. So at 34 knots (slowest DD at Tier 7), that is a blazing 36.72 knots...  The Bly with 39 knots, is a smoking 42.12 knots, which by the way is still slower than both the Minsk and the Leningrad's base speed...

The other ships at 36 knots boost to 38.88 knots, a gain of 2.88 knots (look out world). In other words, none of them with the exception of the USSR line are tearing up the any speed records and if it takes you half a match in the RN to get across the map, logic and numbers dictate it would take you half a match to get across the map in about half or more of the Tier 7 DD's.

What I do notice is that people try to make the ship fit their playstyle and not the other way around. Look at your post to see exactly what I'm referring to, "I'd trade the gimmicky torps for boost" instead of learning what WG and the Devs had in mind for the line.

It's a very run and gun, support your team by dumping smoke for CA's or the occasional "break los" for a BB that's in trouble. On the offense side, their torps are perfect for solo set ups and especially for team setups. 

Moreover, they have a great over all bad/setup utility for area control.

But, if people try to make the Jervis play like the Mahan, they'll find it's close, but feels wrong. If they try to go Aki with it, not as close and still feels wrong, etc. 

They are RN CL's with HE rounds, no citadel's and lower HP ((basically in a nutshell).

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,556 battles
On 10/6/2018 at 3:15 AM, BURN_Miner said:

Half the game? Compared to who in the same tier? Because I hope you realize that there are about 4 or 5 that are either the same speed or 1 knot above. There's even one or two a knot or two slower.

In fact the only truly faster DD's (by real perception) are the USSR's and The Bly.

If you're banking on the "speed boost", that's a whopping 8%. So at 34 knots (slowest DD at Tier 7), that is a blazing 36.72 knots...  The Bly with 39 knots, is a smoking 42.12 knots, which by the way is still slower than both the Minsk and the Leningrad's base speed...

The other ships at 36 knots boost to 38.88 knots, a gain of 2.88 knots (look out world). In other words, none of them with the exception of the USSR line are tearing up the any speed records and if it takes you half a match in the RN to get across the map, logic and numbers dictate it would take you half a match to get across the map in about half or more of the Tier 7 DD's.

What I do notice is that people try to make the ship fit their playstyle and not the other way around. Look at your post to see exactly what I'm referring to, "I'd trade the gimmicky torps for boost" instead of learning what WG and the Devs had in mind for the line.

It's a very run and gun, support your team by dumping smoke for CA's or the occasional "break los" for a BB that's in trouble. On the offense side, their torps are perfect for solo set ups and especially for team setups. 

Moreover, they have a great over all bad/setup utility for area control.

But, if people try to make the Jervis play like the Mahan, they'll find it's close, but feels wrong. If they try to go Aki with it, not as close and still feels wrong, etc. 

They are RN CL's with HE rounds, no citadel's and lower HP ((basically in a nutshell).

Calm down.

"They are RN CL's with HE rounds, no citadel's and lower HP ((basically in a nutshell)."

And that's exactly how I play them. It's not rocket science to figure out that the devs wanted them working this way. Doesn't change the fact that they're gimmicky torps unless you can show me another navy that fires singles. Doesn't change the option that it lacks  a primary function of every other DD in the game. 

What I've noticed are a lot of people getting needlessly pissed when someone disagrees with them.  To me they're boring and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them. I'm happy for you that you like them, but a differing opinion isn't a bad thing.

[CVA16]
Members
2,266 posts
9,849 battles

One thing I noticed (or didn't notice) in vids is Kuro never used the single launch mode for the torps. It is situational (great for bow-on chargers) and it takes longer (less time on the guns).  Not something I want to use all the time either. Playing either of them (only have the two so far) is painful with less than a 10 pt captain.

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
10 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Calm down.

"They are RN CL's with HE rounds, no citadel's and lower HP ((basically in a nutshell)."

And that's exactly how I play them. It's not rocket science to figure out that the devs wanted them working this way. Doesn't change the fact that they're gimmicky torps unless you can show me another navy that fires singles. Doesn't change the option that it lacks  a primary function of every other DD in the game. 

What I've noticed are a lot of people getting needlessly pissed when someone disagrees with them.  To me they're boring and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep them. I'm happy for you that you like them, but a differing opinion isn't a bad thing.

If I were upset in any way shape or form, I would have replied in either all caps or in a rant. I did neither.

What I did do is point out that you were exaggerating the time and speeds. Nothing more.

Also, if you choose to play any ship outside of its box and you get it to work, more power to you. Personally, I do that with a couple of ships. What I don't do is get upset, exaggerate factual issues that aren't there and so on. Opinions are not facts. "Taking half the game" in one ship, but praising others due to and as I pointed out, a minimal overall boost, is not fact, but opinion.

Again though, you are entitled to it, but don't skew the facts please. Let alone assume that just because someone is actually replaying to you with more than a sentence, in a non-trolling fashion that they are upset, have an emotional ties to said post..

It's pixels man, lol. Hard to really get mad over pixels. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,556 battles
21 hours ago, BURN_Miner said:

If I were upset in any way shape or form, I would have replied in either all caps or in a rant. I did neither.

What I did do is point out that you were exaggerating the time and speeds. Nothing more.

Also, if you choose to play any ship outside of its box and you get it to work, more power to you. Personally, I do that with a couple of ships. What I don't do is get upset, exaggerate factual issues that aren't there and so on. Opinions are not facts. "Taking half the game" in one ship, but praising others due to and as I pointed out, a minimal overall boost, is not fact, but opinion.

Again though, you are entitled to it, but don't skew the facts please. Let alone assume that just because someone is actually replaying to you with more than a sentence, in a non-trolling fashion that they are upset, have an emotional ties to said post..

It's pixels man, lol. Hard to really get mad over pixels. 

You're a lawyer or an engineer, right?

[PLPT]
Members
630 posts
6,808 battles
On 10/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, Grflrgl said:

Without boosting, it took half the game

Speed boost is a misnomer IMHO. I rarely use it for speed but for extra maneuverability dodging torps or gunfire.  An extra 3kts across half a map is only a few ship lengths.

• Cool 1