You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cdr84

Gimme some low tier love

39 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
69 posts

What's the reasoning behind all the rewards etc usually only being for T5 up?

With tier 8 MM the way it is I've been playing tier III and IV more than ever.

I've got 17 prem ships below tier V and should be able to participate in events with those.

How about changing this?

Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
5 minutes ago, Cdr84 said:

I've got 17 prem ships below tier V and should be able to participate in events with those.

How about changing this?

My belief is that it has to do with T4 being "protected". If they allow T4 for rewards, everybody would be there seal-clubbing, taking advantage of easier MM.

T4 used to be the minimum tier, back when "protection" only applied to T3 and below.

• Cool 6

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,855 posts
19,042 battles

A mans got to do what a mans got to do

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
392 posts
7,493 battles
20 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

My belief is that it has to do with T4 being "protected". If they allow T4 for rewards, everybody would be there seal-clubbing, taking advantage of easier MM.

T4 used to be the minimum tier, back when "protection" only applied to T3 and below.

My guess as well. Note how few tier 4 premium ships there are to discourage seal clubbing (I presume).

Members
18,198 posts
5,196 battles
1 minute ago, DustRhino said:

My guess as well. Note how few tier 4 premium ships there are to discourage seal clubbing (I presume).

I dunno how worried they are about seal clubbing per se, I just think their attitude is that they don't want an easy shortcut to get free stuff.

Members
502 posts
62 battles
17 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

That doesn’t make sense. If ppl want to seal-club they can do it anytime for free. Low tier premiums don’t even offer any XP or credit gains to speak of. They are simply beginners’ ships.

No the reason there aren’t many low tier premium ships is simply that they are far less lucrative for WG commercially.

Fir grinding missions it could indeed be to keep experienced players out of low tiers though.

• Boring 1

Members
1,834 posts
17,617 battles
2 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

No the reason there aren’t many low tier premium ships

Actually there are a lot of low tier premium ships...OP even states that he has 17 low tier premium ships (I don't have that many myself but have quite a few)...the issue is that there are no missions for them so they just sit in port for most people never being used.

Seal clubbing is part of the reason for that but mainly it's as Skpstr said:

24 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I dunno how worried they are about seal clubbing per se, I just think their attitude is that they don't want an easy shortcut to get free stuff.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,597 posts
9,000 battles
54 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Tier 3 didn't used to be a protected tier. It was great fun handing tier 5 BB's their fantail with the St Louis.

[WAG]
Members
392 posts
7,493 battles
18 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

That doesn’t make sense. If ppl want to seal-club they can do it anytime for free. Low tier premiums don’t even offer any XP or credit gains to speak of. They are simply beginners’ ships.

No the reason there aren’t many low tier premium ships is simply that they are far less lucrative for WG commercially.

Fir grinding missions it could indeed be to keep experienced players out of low tiers though.

Having a Premium ship lets you drop a 19 point captain in a ship without the long term investment or paying for retraining, which provides an even greater advantage while seal clubbing. You need to be a dedicated seal clubber to put a high point captain in a low tier tech tree ship, vs. the ease of a premium ship. 

There are a number of tier 2 and 3 premium ships, just not 4. In tier 4 there are currently only two you can acquire.

Tier 2: 8
Tier 3: 7
Tier 4: 2 (5 if you count the Alpha and Beta Ships, and Nikolai)
Tier 5: 8 (11 if you count the Kamikazes and Fujin)
Tier 6: 16

I don't have time to name them all, but here is the list: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Premium_ships

Edited by DustRhino

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles
29 minutes ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

^

It costs WG almost as much money to research, model, rig, animate, texture, test and balance a tier 2 ship as a tier 8 ship. Tier 2 premiums sell for a few dollar, tier 8 ones for $60.

Hell, you can buy two tier 2 premium ships right now for about $1.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
392 posts
7,493 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

^

It costs WG almost as much money to research, model, rig, animate, texture, test and balance a tier 2 ship as a tier 8 ship. Tier 2 premiums sell for a few dollar, tier 8 ones for $60.

Does not explain why they made 8 T2 and 7 T3 yet only 3 T4 (if you discount the Alpha and Beta tester ships), particularly when they sell Tier 4 for more money.

[O_O]
Members
733 posts
6,220 battles

like some already said...

you give high Tier players an incentive to go in to them matches below T4 just to get them rewards...all them lower Tier or new player...will be massacred by all them 19 pt Capts.  and thats not fun for them guys who will be on the receiving end of the slaughter.    

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
2 hours ago, Cdr84 said:

How about changing this?

Buy a better premium boat and stop being tight maybe?

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,242 battles
3 hours ago, Shinnidan said:

like some already said...

you give high Tier players an incentive to go in to them matches below T4 just to get them rewards...all them lower Tier or new player...will be massacred by all them 19 pt Capts.  and thats not fun for them guys who will be on the receiving end of the slaughter.    

Sprit Ranked may turn into a slaughter...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

^

This is the true answer.

[ICE9]
Members
811 posts
1 hour ago, Shinnidan said:

all them lower Tier or new player...will be massacred by all them 19 pt Capts.  and thats not fun for them guys who will be on the receiving end of the slaughter.    

Builds character, like Tier 8. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
733 posts
6,220 battles
3 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Builds character, like Tier 8. :Smile_hiding:

but it might also discourage new player to stay...

most of my battles are in T7-T9s ....

Edited by Shinnidan

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

WG has shown they don't care about player retention by not fixing the MM.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[O_O]
Members
733 posts
6,220 battles
4 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

WG has shown they don't care about player retention by not fixing the MM.

i have no problems with the MM...but then again...i hardly play Random Matches nowadays...

Co op you basiclly playing against your mirror...but the capt is some [edited] up suicidal bot...lol 

Edited by Shinnidan

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

T3 wasn't protected. You saw T5 before the 'Great MM Change". You're 100% right about when they bumped up minimums for events.

Beta Testers
69 posts
39 minutes ago, francesabyss said:

Buy a better premium boat and stop being tight maybe?

Tier V+ have, Fujin, Kamikaze, Atgo, Marblesinmyhead, Texas, Arizona, Sims, Atlanta, Indy, Kidd, Gremy, Okhotnik, Murmansk, Kransky krym, Okt. Revolut, Molotov, Lenningrad, Kutzov, T-61, Graff Spee, Sharn, Printz Eug, Tirp, Gallant, Warspite, Belfast, Hood, Aigle, De Grasse, Dunk, Anshan, Loyang, Giu Ces, Ducta D'Aosta, Perth, Haida, and Blyskawica.

That a nuff?

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles
1 hour ago, DustRhino said:

Does not explain why they made 8 T2 and 7 T3 yet only 3 T4 (if you discount the Alpha and Beta tester ships), particularly when they sell Tier 4 for more money.

A lot of those old t2 and 3 ships are just that...old.  Most of them came out of the first year or so of the game. 

[WOLFB]
Members
450 posts
3,836 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

And they're both totally worth it. Very fun to play. Just screaming around the map spewing out wimpy little torpedos and pew pewing away with harmless little guns. You're always going to be fighting Tier 3 ships, but you can make a difference in the battle and it's pretty fun. For a dollar each. Totally worth it.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles
4 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Just screaming around the map spewing out wimpy little torpedos and pew pewing away with harmless little guns.

joQ4Vh5.jpg

• Funny 1