Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Shannon_Lindsey

WG has a premium opportunity (USBB)

74 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

65
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
186 posts
5,104 battles

This issue with the 1941 vs 1944 West Virginia debate shows Wargaming has a chance for a big promotional opportunity with premium US battleships. A few people have suggested naming the West Virginia 41 as Maryland instead, and truthfully, you have to have a deep knowledge for the details before you would ever recognize the differences between the two ships at that time. I suggest going even further. The WV41 model is also very similar to the 1941 design of the Tennessee and California, with the primary difference being they had the same main armament as the New Mexico instead. Furthermore, their 1944 configuration is what the WV refit was modeled after, so when that ship is modeled, the same general framework could be used.

What Wargaming could potentially do is create a series of US premium battleships that could be sold in the shop as pairs that are tied to a specific event: The attack on Pearl Harbor:

1941 Maryland (T6) and 1944 West Virginia (T7)

1941 California (T6) and 1944 Tennessee (T7) 

1941 Arizona (T6) and 1944 Pennsylvania (T7)

1941 Oklahoma (T5) and 1944 Nevada (T6)

It could be a big seller for the connection to this major historical event, and the rising of most of the ships from the flames, so to speak. Thoughts?

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,859
[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
Just now, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Thoughts?

That there are way more actually unique, indigenous ship designs that aren't in the game yet and from nations that aren't in the game yet that deserve inclusion before 'US Standard type premium battleship #3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8'.

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,280
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,546 posts

Yeah, I agree that both ships shouldn't be named the same, that would open up a whole can of worms for alternate ships with the same names. Haida '43 and Haida '52 come to mind, also DeGrasse '38 and DeGrasse '56...

Quote

what do you mean by indigenous design, brohan?

He wants Dutch ships, and I don't blame him, we should be getting full techtrees for other nations before we start to bloat existing ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,859
[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
Just now, Pytheas said:

@Lertwhat do you mean by indigenous design, brohan?

That mostly refers to some nations that aren't in the game yet that have their own designs, and didn't just buy second-hand ships from someone else, like the in-game Pan Asian nationality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
220 posts
7,619 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

That mostly refers to some nations that aren't in the game yet that have their own designs, and didn't just buy second-hand ships from someone else, like the in-game Pan Asian nationality.

I see thanks Lert-han. What ships do you want to see in the game that fit this description? Have you started threads on this previously I'm sorry I haven't looked but if you have ideas brohan I think that would be great to read about thanks for reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,280
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,546 posts
1 minute ago, Pytheas said:

What ships do you want to see in the game that fit this description?

 

Uh oh.... he asked the question!   SHELTER! SHELTER! SHELTER!!!   *dives under desk*

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,859
[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
1 minute ago, Pytheas said:

Have you started threads on this previously

I have. See link in sig. Specifically the Witte de With, de Zeven Provincien, 1047, Friesland, Eendracht, de Ruyter and Java proposals. All Royal Netherlands Navy ships, btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
548 posts
2,102 battles

Lert did the Dutch have any concept BBs or would they be strictly a cruiser and DD nation?

Edited by Krupp_Sabot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
220 posts
7,619 battles
9 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Yeah, I agree that both ships shouldn't be named the same, that would open up a whole can of worms for alternate ships with the same names. Haida '43 and Haida '52 come to mind, also DeGrasse '38 and DeGrasse '56...

He wants Dutch ships, and I don't blame him, we should be getting full techtrees for other nations before we start to bloat existing ones

Thanks brohan, yeah I was typing while you sent this. I appreciate the information brohan and I also think Dutch boats would be a good idea plus I think their names are pretty fun to read in my opinion thanks for reading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
764
[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,236 posts
1,820 battles
32 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

This issue with the 1941 vs 1944 West Virginia debate shows Wargaming has a chance for a big promotional opportunity with premium US battleships. A few people have suggested naming the West Virginia 41 as Maryland instead, and truthfully, you have to have a deep knowledge for the details before you would ever recognize the differences between the two ships at that time. I suggest going even further. The WV41 model is also very similar to the 1941 design of the Tennessee and California, with the primary difference being they had the same main armament as the New Mexico instead. Furthermore, their 1944 configuration is what the WV refit was modeled after, so when that ship is modeled, the same general framework could be used.

What Wargaming could potentially do is create a series of US premium battleships that could be sold in the shop as pairs that are tied to a specific event: The attack on Pearl Harbor:

1941 Maryland (T6) and 1944 West Virginia (T7)

1941 California (T6) and 1944 Tennessee (T7) 

1941 Arizona (T6) and 1944 Pennsylvania (T7)

1941 Oklahoma (T5) and 1944 Nevada (T6)

It could be a big seller for the connection to this major historical event, and the rising of most of the ships from the flames, so to speak. Thoughts?

Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Nevada are class ships and thus likely to be used in the second US BB line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
711
[HYDRO]
Members
1,550 posts
3,751 battles
16 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Lert did the Dutch have any concept BBs or would they be strictly a cruiser and DD nation?

Check the proposal on his signature for 1047. It was designed to be quite similar to Scharnhorst owing to the fact the Germans supplied some of the technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,502
[INTEL]
Members
6,659 posts
25,692 battles
38 minutes ago, Lert said:

That there are way more actually unique, indigenous ship designs that aren't in the game yet and from nations that aren't in the game yet that deserve inclusion before 'US Standard type premium battleship #3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8'.

^^this.

How many more USN BBs do we need?

Let's get something different first, (and by different I do not mean subs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,859
[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
27 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Lert did the Dutch have any concept BBs or would they be strictly a cruiser and DD nation?

The two most viable candidates are a 8x 350mm brick suitable for T4 called 'Project 1913' and a T6 fast battlecruiser with 9x 283mm called 'Project 1047'. Some other 1047 designs might fit at other tiers, I just concentrated on the most likely, finalized design that stood the most chance of actually being built had the second world war not happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,859
[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
1 minute ago, bohica_2017 said:

I would like to see at least 1 US BB T7 premium sometime soon, they are the only BB line that doesn't.

Gotcha covered.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,067
[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
1 minute ago, bohica_2017 said:

I would like to see at least 1 US BB T7 premium sometime soon, they are the only BB line that doesn't.

France doesn't have a tier VII Battleship either.  They have:

  • Dunkerque (tier VI)
  • Gascogne (tier VIII)
  • Jean Bart (tier IX)
  • Bourgogne (tier X)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,859
[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

France doesn't have a tier VII Battleship either.

Yeah but who cares about the French.

I mean, other than @Chobittsu. It's an unhealthy obsession with that one.

:Smile_hiding:

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
98 posts
6,598 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

France doesn't have a tier VII Battleship either.  They have:

  • Dunkerque (tier VI)
  • Gascogne (tier VIII)
  • Jean Bart (tier IX)
  • Bourgogne (tier X)

I knew i was missing one, thanks LWM, love your work as well as Lerts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,187
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,799 posts
10,299 battles
4 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

France doesn't have a tier VII Battleship either.  They have:

 

7 minutes ago, bohica_2017 said:

I would like to see at least 1 US BB T7 premium sometime soon, they are the only BB line that doesn't.

Laughs in British.

Then cries about all other premiums :(

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
98 posts
6,598 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yeah but who cares about the French.

I mean, other than @Chobittsu. It's an unhealthy obsession with that one.

:Smile_hiding:

but you can get them cheap, only surrendered once and still have new BB smell lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,324
[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
16 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

^^this.

How many more USN BBs do we need?

Let's get something different first, (and by different I do not mean subs).

Oh we need more, always more. Secondary specced too preferably, considering we all know that secondary focused Battleships are the pinnacle of skill, teamplay, and always attract the best players this game has to offer.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,866 posts

I want to see other historically important ships in the game. I know U.S. battleships are a cash cow, but I have a couple and no interest in buying more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210
[WOLF3]
Members
6,393 posts
2,380 battles
59 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

It could be a big seller for the connection to this major historical event, and the rising of most of the ships from the flames, so to speak. Thoughts?

It's a worthy proposal but a LOT of work for WG.  Plus selling them in pairs would have to put the price up near $100 for a bundle.  That's a big price tag.

Perhaps introducing the in pairs gradually - say once a quarter or half - might be a good long-term project.  But otoh, Lert has a point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×