Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jester_of_War

Cheap Dubloons

27 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

I am very price conscious and always try to get the best deal I can.

There is a special offer this weekend where you get bonus dubloons if you spend real money in the Premium Shop.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/doub-lunatics/

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheaper way to buy dubloons than this? Will I do better by gambling on waiting for an upcoming Black Friday/Christmas deals?

ATTENTION: I realized there is a better deal and rambled on about it in this thread. Post #12, below. That makes this outdated:

If you spend $51.69 on 12,000 dubloons, you will get 4,000 bonus dubloons which ends up being $0.00323 per dubloon.

I generally use  "25,000 dubloons for $99.99" as the base price for dubloons (because it's generally the best deal you can get and because it works out to slightly less than .4 cents per dubloon which is easy to calculate in my head). This deal is 20% cheaper than that.

This deal would mean a Tier 10 Permanent Camo would end up costing $16.15. A decent discount from the $20 they normally cost.

Another example: Sims (plus a port slot) costs $24.82 in the Premium Shop. In the tech tree she is 5,000 dubloons; a port slot costs 300 dubloons. That would only be $17.12 if you take advantage of the "extra dubloon" deal this weekend. That is a 31.01% discount. Heck of a deal.

I don't need want dubloons right now, but I expect I will in the next 6-12 months.

So again: Would anyone with more experience in the Wargaming world recommend holding out for a cheaper price on dubloons? Or is this as good as it's going to get?

Edited by Jester_of_War

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,878 posts
12,626 battles

@Jester_of_War You aren't going to get a cheaper price on the doubloons. What you are getting is a bonus for any purchase greater than $10.00!  So it is worth it! Buy $10.00 worth of doubloons from the buy any amount of selection and get a 250 doubloon bonus! Good deal! But if you are expecting a buy one get one sale or 50% off sale forget it!  They certainly aren't going to give them away as a score 25000 damage in one battle get 250 doubloon award!

[A_51]
Members
277 posts
13,071 battles

My impression is that this is probably the best deal you're going to get.  I look at it as doubloons per dollar, using the same benchmark as you, which comes to 250 doubloons per dollar.  If you spend exactly $40, you get an additional 4,000 doubloons, which calculates to 350 doubloons per dollar (the number of doubloons $40 would buy at 250 per dollar, plus the bonus).  I've never seen a sale that gives a better value.

I have a different question: Will WG track all purchases during this period, so if you make multiple purchases totaling $40 or more, you get the higher bonus, or is each purchase calculated separately, so if you make, for example, four $10 purchases, you get only the smaller bonus, which would result in your receiving 1,000 doubloons.  I know the add says "Doubloon payout based on the USD amount of all your purchases!", but this statement is ambiguous and could be interpreted either way.

Edited by Seaneroo

Members
711 posts

do you already own Warspite and Gallant before the RN event started?

if so what about buying RN containers, and using the Sovereigns from the RN premium containers to rebuy Warspite and gallant from the arsenal, thus getting 6500 and 4500 doubloons respectively for the duplicates, while also getting Union Jack camouflage and special flags?

Edited by b101uk
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
43 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

So we have to spend $50 to get the bonus?

Check out the details of the event at the link in my OP.

You get some bonus dubloons starting at $10. The maximum benefit would be to buy $40 of stuff, but not more. It scales up in that range.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,815 posts
7,100 battles
18 minutes ago, b101uk said:

do you already own Warspite and Gallant before the RN event started?

if so what about buying RN containers, and using the Sovereigns from the RN premium containers to rebuy Warspite and gallant from the arsenal, thus getting 6500 and 4500 doubloons respectively for the duplicates, while also getting Union Jack camouflage and special flags?

this is the 'best' of the current 'deals', because it is essentially in game doublons in exchange for earnable in game (crate) currency. So no real cash involved.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
20 minutes ago, Seaneroo said:

I know the add says "Doubloon payout based on the USD amount of all your purchases!", but this statement is ambiguous and could be interpreted either way.

I was the first to comment that the availability of Sovereigns in the Royal Navy event was ambiguous. Misleading actually.

But I feel like the wording on the bonus dubloons this weekend is pretty clear. In very few words they are being clear and to the point.

I am pretty confident that your bonus dubloons would be calculated on "the USD amount of all your purchases" that you make "during the event period".

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles

Just comparing Doubloon purchases, the $40 deal is far the best, and one of the best Db deals I've seen.  Almost as good as the limited Paypal deal (~336 Db/$).

$10.10 = 1950 Db = 193 Db/$

$10.10 = 1950 + 250 Db = 218 Db/$ or 12.8% better

$20.14 = 4200 Db = 206 Db/$

$20.14 = 4200 + 1000 Db = 258 Db/$ or 25% better

$30.24 = 6600 Db = 218 Db/$

$30.24 = 6600 + 2000 Db = 284 Db/$ or 30% better

$40.16 = 9050 Db = 225 Db/$

$40.16 = 9050 + 4000 Db = 325 Db/$ or 44% better

30 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

your bonus dubloons would be calculated on "the USD amount of all your purchases" that you make "during the event period".

Yep.  Same as the past Doubloon Blowouts.

Edited by iDuckman

Beta Testers
1,864 posts
19,068 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

I am very price conscious and always try to get the best deal I can.

There is a special offer this weekend where you get bonus dubloons if you spend real money in the Premium Shop.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/deals/doub-lunatics/

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheaper way to buy dubloons than this? Will I do better by gambling on waiting for an upcoming Black Friday/Christmas deals?

If you spend $51.69 on 12,000 dubloons, you will get 4,000 bonus dubloons which ends up being $0.00323 per dubloon.

I generally use  "25,000 dubloons for $99.99" as the base price for dubloons (because it's generally the best deal you can get and because it works out to slightly less than .4 cents per dubloon which is easy to calculate in my head). This deal is 20% cheaper than that.

This deal would mean a Tier 10 Permanent Camo would end up costing $16.15. A decent discount from the $20 they normally cost.

Another example: Sims (plus a port slot) costs $24.82 in the Premium Shop. In the tech tree she is 5,000 dubloons; a port slot costs 300 dubloons. That would only be $17.12 if you take advantage of the "extra dubloon" deal this weekend. That is a 31.01% discount. Heck of a deal.

I don't need want dubloons right now, but I expect I will in the next 6-12 months.

So again: Would anyone with more experience in the Wargaming world recommend holding out for a cheaper price on dubloons? Or is this as good as it's going to get?

I just purchased 13,500 dobloons with 30 days of premium time for 53.00 us dollars   

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
5 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I just purchased 13,500 dobloons with 30 days of premium time for 53.00 us dollars   

30 Days Premium is worth 2500 Db.  So 302 Db/$ (before a bonus).  If you add a 4000 Db bonus, it is 377 Db/$.  Outstanding.

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles

I stand corrected.  Thanks to @iDuckman and @KURT_WOLFF !

The Admiral's Bounty looks to be an even better deal: 13,500 dubloons for $53.62, plus 4,000 bonus dubloons works out to $0.00306 per dubloon. That's even better than my OP. (23.4% cheaper than the standard "25,000 dubloons for $99.99")

That makes the Permanent Camoflauge for Tier 10 cost only $15.32. And the Sims would be only $16.23 (a 35% savings).

On top of that, the Admiral's Bounty includes 30 days of Premium Time! (I'm not about to spend money on Premium Time so this doesn't enter into my calculations... but heck yeah, I'll take it!)

I might be spending too much time being cheap.

But again, my ultimate question here is: is there a chance* we'll see a better deal on buying just dubloons with real money?

*A reasonable chance based on past deals.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
12 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

is there a chance* we'll see a better deal on buying dubloons with real money?

Maybe a little better, but not enough to worry about.

OTOH, Triad of Triumph is already a pretty good deal.  Converted to Doubloons, it is 17,500 Db for $58.12, or 301 Db/$.  With the 4000 Db bonus it is 370 Db/$.

Beta Testers
256 posts
5,940 battles

what about equivalent values of instore doubloons versus the low tier Cossack package? (this would allow trade in of guineas Cossack for 9600 dubs and buying ship gets you a port and some missions as well)

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
6 minutes ago, verkhne said:

what about equivalent values of instore doubloons versus the low tier Cossack package?

I did the calculation somewhere else in a different thread, but by my reckoning you won't get as good a deal. Buying the Cossack in the Premium shop and then getting dubloons for her at the end of the RN event (for Guineas) is about $3-6 more than just buying that many dubloons. You get some bonus stuff for that $3-6, but since I wouldn't have paid real money for that bonus stuff I won't include it in my calculations.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,372 posts
13,095 battles
2 hours ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

Same - probably best deal if you want the premium time included

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles
5 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Same - probably best deal if you want the premium time included

Not, it's not.  Look at Triad of Triumph with the bonus -- 370 DB/$.

5000 Db, 7.5M Cr (equiv. to 5000 Db), 90 days Premium (equiv. to 7500 Db).

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF2]
Members
1,372 posts
13,095 battles
1 hour ago, Jester_of_War said:

On top of that, the Admiral's Bounty includes 30 days of Premium Time! (I'm not about to spend money on Premium Time so this doesn't enter into my calculations... but heck yeah, I'll take it!)

I might be spending too much time being cheap.

But again, my ultimate question here is: is there a chance* we'll see a better deal on buying just dubloons with real money?

*A reasonable chance based on past deals.

Only better deal would be if they do doubloon compensation for duplicate camos in pumpkins again - but I doubt it for some reason :)

[O_O]
Members
9 posts
2,006 battles

Wish I had waited a day to buy from the premium store :(

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles

Nah.  We need to talk Jester into doing the Premium thing because it's far more cost effective in game terms than not. 

Jester, you need to do the Premium thing.  Just think of the discounts!

Just now, soltic said:

Wish I had waited a day to buy from the premium store :(

Ain't it always thus?  :(

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLFB]
Members
451 posts
3,836 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Not, it's not.  Look at Triad of Triumph with the bonus -- 370 DB/$.

If we're just looking at dubloons, I don't see Triad of Triumph as the best deal. Triad only gets you 9,000 dubloons for $58.12.

Admiral's Bounty gets you 17,500 dubloons for $53.62.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,372 posts
13,095 battles
2 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

If we're just looking at dubloons, I don't see Triad of Triumph as the best deal. Triad only gets you 9,000 dubloons for $58.12.

Admiral's Bounty gets you 17,500 dubloons for $53.62.

This ^

Factor out the cost for premium time and I don't even care about the credits 

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLF3]
Members
6,466 posts
2,414 battles

If you really intend to ignore the value of Premium and Credits, then Admiral's Bounty (326 Db/$) is as cost effective as just buying $40 of Any Amount of Doubloons (325), but a little more cost effective for that quantity (304). 

OTOH, you said you don't really want that many Db, so save money by not spending the extra $13.62.

OTOH, you really should get Premium. :cap_haloween:

Edited by iDuckman
Reworked the numbers.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,372 posts
13,095 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

If you really intend to ignore the value of Premium and Credits, then yes, Admiral's Bounty is more cost effective.

But you really should get Premium. :cap_haloween:

Don't ignore premium time, just factor it out and you get proper value in doubloons vs doubloons

Edited by Commander_367

Sign in to follow this