You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Gax_

What is the best Tier X Cruiser to grind for?

44 comments in this topic

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I am looking for the General opinion as to what is the best Tier X cruiser to grind for. I know the different cruisers have different strengths and weaknesses. 

I am an average player but improving. I prefer maneuverable ships. I also like ships that have balance instead of just being locked into one role. 

[PVE]
Members
9,835 posts
7,492 battles
1 minute ago, _Gax_ said:

I am looking for the General opinion as to what is the best Tier X cruiser to grind for. I know the different cruisers have different strengths and weaknesses. 

I am an average player but improving. I prefer maneuverable ships. I also like ships that have balance instead of just being locked into one role. 

I have only played the Des Moines, but US cruisers are best in island cover. The Henri, Moskva or Hindy might be more if what you are looking for I think.

Members
644 posts
4,271 battles

If you're looking for a good all-around balanced ship, I understand the Hindenburg is good at most jobs. The Des Moines is another good candidate, albeit without torpedoes.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
2 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

If you're looking for a good all-around balanced ship, I understand the Hindenburg is good at most jobs. The Des Moines is another good candidate, albeit without torpedoes.

I've had run ins with both in my North Carolina. Hindi was harder to deal with in the open. But Des Moines was tough till I figured how to drop shells just over an Island then they're semi stationary tactic played against them. 

[NGA]
Members
1,298 posts
7,873 battles

Depends on what you're looking for:

Des Moines has a lot of potency going for it and is only really let down by Wargaming's insistence that BBs be allowed to LOL!pen cruisers from all angles. She's best at finding a good position to hunker down in and blazing away at anything that strikes her fancy with a mixture of HE and AP.

Zao is a great ambusher and useful at medium- to long-range using her outstanding maneuverability to harass all comers. And her 12k torps are excellent weapons that can easily stealth torp any BB on its own.

Hindenburg is a generalist that is great at fighting at all ranges. Her so-so HE is good at long-range thanks to its penetration boost and quick flight-time. Her potent AP is best at medium ranges where it'll tear holes in everything. And getting in close has it's advantages thanks to a turtle-back armor scheme and a frightening array of two quintuple launchers per side with great firing arcs.

Moskva is pretty much Krondstadt/Stalingrad-lite. She's great at face-tanking and can become quite potent when she outflanks an enemy.

Minotaur is best played like a big DD with a citadel. Advance cautiously and avoid radar ships like the plague. Find a good position, smoke-up, and let the shells fly.

Henri IV is the closest thing to a sniper in this game. Her light armor and massive detection means your best option is to make sure you're firing at beleaguered targets and using your awesome HE to start as many fires as possible. Her AP is serviceable enough too.

Warchester is very similar to the Mino in that positioning and remembering your fragility is very important. And judging by how much the baBBies have been decrying her since release, her HE spam is quite potent. Though personally I question why they're whining so much about CLs/CAs being able to do such damage over time when a single volley from their guns can strip away 1/3 or more of the health of a DD if even a single shot fails to overpenetrate.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
108 posts
10,338 battles

Cannot go wrong grinding toward the Hindenburg,and also if your cruiser skills meet expectations up and including tier 9 then I highly recommend the DesMoines as well. Make sure you spend a few bucks for the permanent Camo's for either so you can enjoy credits even in PVE to polish up those cruiser skills!

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles

I would say Wooster but since it's being nerfed in the wrong way, hindy is pretty easy to play, moskva is idiot proof, and zao is very laid back and relaxing to play. Personally my t10 cruiser of choice is Salem followed by dm/ Worcester, all very solid choices thanks to the genuinely lovely floaty  arcs that let you get into hyper agressive positions while staying safe

[SUCIT]
Members
839 posts
3,650 battles
30 minutes ago, _Gax_ said:

I'll list some strengths and weaknesses.  It's impossible for us to tell you what to grind for because of the vast playstyle differences.  For a beginner, I'd suggest the Zao or Hindenburg.

Des Moines - Hugs an island all game lobbing shells at everything that moves.  AP shells are incredibly potent at most ranges, and can citadel every non BB through the belt at reasonable range.  The improved auto bounce angles make it lots of fun.

Wooster - Most people will tell you to hug an island and fling shells over, but I prefer to play open water.  Reasonable good rudder shift, along with a reasonable turn rate and trolly as hell armor let you eat a lot less damage than you anticipate.  The sheer amount of Daka is hysterical.  Minimum 14 point captain to make this ship viable.

Zao - Arguably the best open water CA in the game.  Very good rudder shift, turning circle, stealth and turret angles make it very comfortable to play in a kiting role.  Does not do well pushing places on the map and prefers farming targets at longer ranges.  Torpedoes are extremely good if given the opportunity to use them

Hindenburg - Tanky cruiser that doesn't excel at any one thing, but does everything well.  The closer the range, the more effective your armor is.  Good guns, 1/4 pen HE pen baked in means you can do damage to anything at any angle.  

Moskva - Specializes at bow in map denial.  Massive citadel prevents any real plays while pushing.  Has railguns that are extremely accurate, and downright hysterical with the Legendary Upgrade.  Is great for holding down a portion of the map 

Minotaur - The Meme of T10 Cruisers.  Has literally 0 armor, has a massive citadel, but throws out shells like nothing else.  Murders anything that shows you a broadside, and does nothing to bow in targets.  Probably the hardest T10 Cruiser to play effectively.  

Henri - "Gotta go fast".  Does really nothing but damage farm and be a nuisance.  AP shells murder the Minotaur specifically due to overmatch mechanics.  The Reload Booster made the ship a lot more viable, giving it a lot more burst DPM.  

• Cool 4

Members
644 posts
4,271 battles
21 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Zao is a great ambusher and useful at medium- to long-range using her outstanding maneuverability to harass all comers. And her 12k torps are excellent weapons that can easily stealth torp any BB on its own.

Zao has 8km torpedoes, which is rather unfortunate since you have to show your broadside to use them effectively. Since your concealment is around 10km, this really limits you to using torpedoes defensively. I almost want to go back to the Ibuki so I can use the longer range torpedoes...

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,352 battles

Hindenburg is very flexible. Zao also seems a like a good choice for your first 1 or 2 cruisers.

I found the IJN grind more pleasant than the KM grind. The Hindenburg is worth it though.

The other cruisers are more specialized.

• Cool 1

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
766 posts
5,986 battles

Let's not forget that the OP asked for TX cruiser to grind for? We can all debate which TX cruiser is best but when taking the entire line as a whole, I think some are easier to grind than others. I have all TX cruisers and of all of them, I enjoyed the Russian and German lines. Decent shell arcs, reload, range and a good set of consumables. As far as TX cruisers, I find the Hindy the most versatile, a jack of all trades but master of none.

EDIT: Hindy also has turlle back armor which makes it less vulnerable to citadels at close range. With its torps, the Hindy can really shine as either a long-range kiter or short-range brawler. 1/4 HE penetration is like getting IFHE for free as well. The legendary mod makes the Hindy less vulnerable to fires as well :)

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
766 posts
5,986 battles
10 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

Hindenburg is very flexible. Zao also seems a like a good choice for your first 1 or 2 cruisers.

I found the IJN grind more pleasant than the KM grind. The Hindenburg is worth it though.

The other cruisers are more specialized.

Zao was my first TX cruiser but at the time, there was only the DM and the Zao. The Hindy was my second TX cruiser. I love them both, just not equally. I prefer the Hindy ;)

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,684 battles

The generalist cruisers that have remained relevant ever since their inception are the Hindenburg and Zao. Hindenburg has a decent HP pool of 51.9k with USN BB/USSR CA melting HE shells, and powerful but situational AP shells. She has good base range and DPM for long-range gunnery coupled with turtle-back armor and generous torpedo firing angles for knife-fighting. The Hindenburg is the jack-of-all trades cruiser at T10 with her major downsides being mediocre speed, agility, and concealment.

The Zao is your stereotypical long-ranged IJN HE spammer, but don't underestimate her strong AP shells either. She has the third best concealment of all T10 cruisers; complement that with 20 12km Type93 torpedoes and 12 203mm railguns, and you have a very deadly cruiser that can switch from sniper to ambush predator at will. Her weaknesses stem from her low HP pool of 40.8k HP, mediocre firing angles on the guns and torpedoes, and a large turning circle. 

If you prefer leveraging your concealment and launching long-ranged torpedoes from stealth, choose the Zao. If you want a cruiser that is equally good at sniping and knife-fighting, or have a vendetta against the Moskva/Stanlingrad, take the Hindenburg.

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
272 posts
1,855 battles
22 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

Zao has 8km torpedoes, which is rather unfortunate since you have to show your broadside to use them effectively. Since your concealment is around 10km, this really limits you to using torpedoes defensively. I almost want to go back to the Ibuki so I can use the longer range torpedoes...

Yikes, someone doesn't read patch notes.  Or check their modules tab.  Or wonder why other Zaos are dropping torps at 10km+ and hitting targets.

• Cool 2

[JUICE]
Members
819 posts
6,369 battles

Hindenburg is a great all around cruiser and it has trollish armor that is very forgiving if you get flanked by surprise. It is very forgiving of dumb mistakes made in medium to close range fights but, it is easy to eat a citadel at long rage from BBs.

I do not have the Zao yet but it seems like a fun ride as well.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,452 posts
9,584 battles
49 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Yeah got to say Zao is just a consistent performer that will reward smart play.

[DAY]
Members
1,186 posts
11,774 battles
1 hour ago, _Gax_ said:

I prefer maneuverable ships. I also like ships that have balance instead of just being locked into one role. 

hind is the thing that can do a bit of everything, but it has no maneuverability

mino is very maneuverable, but paper armour and only AP, so very locked into specific job

zao might be a good choice for you, you can go from support DD to farming BB, but the HP is low, and turning radius is awful(though acceleration and rudder is good)

des moines is also good at everything, but again bad maneuvourability, and relies heavily on your aim

[BLUMR]
Members
217 posts
2,852 battles
24 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

Zao got 12km torpedoes a couple of patches ago.

On the OPs topic. Go for either Zao or Hindy. Hindy might make a resurgence now that Worcester got hit with the nerf bat enough on the radar to pull it out of the definitive #1 spot, but Zao is favored right now because of its torpedoes, concealment, and ability to force anything pushing into it to suffer. Zao just can't push, which to be honest is a lesson best learned for cruiser play earlier rather than later. 1v1 cruiser engagements at tier 10 are almost always extremely favorable to whoever is moving away, and can therefore use better turret angles and benefit from increased she'll flight time.

[NGA]
Members
1,298 posts
7,873 battles
31 minutes ago, Jiggiwatt said:

You might want to look over the patch notes from a couple updates back. Zao got the Type 93 mod.3. Their only problem is the agonizing reload of almost three minutes.

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles
42 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

I'll list some strengths and weaknesses.  It's impossible for us to tell you what to grind for because of the vast playstyle differences.  For a beginner, I'd suggest the Zao or Hindenburg.

Des Moines - Hugs an island all game lobbing shells at everything that moves.  AP shells are incredibly potent at most ranges, and can citadel every non BB through the belt at reasonable range.  The improved auto bounce angles make it lots of fun.

Wooster - Most people will tell you to hug an island and fling shells over, but I prefer to play open water.  Reasonable good rudder shift, along with a reasonable turn rate and trolly as hell armor let you eat a lot less damage than you anticipate.  The sheer amount of Daka is hysterical.  Minimum 14 point captain to make this ship viable.

Zao - Arguably the best open water CA in the game.  Very good rudder shift, turning circle, stealth and turret angles make it very comfortable to play in a kiting role.  Does not do well pushing places on the map and prefers farming targets at longer ranges.  Torpedoes are extremely good if given the opportunity to use them

Hindenburg - Tanky cruiser that doesn't excel at any one thing, but does everything well.  The closer the range, the more effective your armor is.  Good guns, 1/4 pen HE pen baked in means you can do damage to anything at any angle.  

Moskva - Specializes at bow in map denial.  Massive citadel prevents any real plays while pushing.  Has railguns that are extremely accurate, and downright hysterical with the Legendary Upgrade.  Is great for holding down a portion of the map 

Minotaur - The Meme of T10 Cruisers.  Has literally 0 armor, has a massive citadel, but throws out shells like nothing else.  Murders anything that shows you a broadside, and does nothing to bow in targets.  Probably the hardest T10 Cruiser to play effectively.  

Henri - "Gotta go fast".  Does really nothing but damage farm and be a nuisance.  AP shells murder the Minotaur specifically due to overmatch mechanics.  The Reload Booster made the ship a lot more viable, giving it a lot more burst DPM.  

Thanks for the insight to all the cruisers. This will make my decision easier. 

Members
644 posts
4,271 battles
28 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

Yikes, someone doesn't read patch notes.  Or check their modules tab.  Or wonder why other Zaos are dropping torps at 10km+ and hitting targets.

19 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

You might want to look over the patch notes from a couple updates back. Zao got the Type 93 mod.3. Their only problem is the agonizing reload of almost three minutes.

20 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

Zao got 12km torpedoes a couple of patches ago.

On the OPs topic. Go for either Zao or Hindy. Hindy might make a resurgence now that Worcester got hit with the nerf bat enough on the radar to pull it out of the definitive #1 spot, but Zao is favored right now because of its torpedoes, concealment, and ability to force anything pushing into it to suffer. Zao just can't push, which to be honest is a lesson best learned for cruiser play earlier rather than later. 1v1 cruiser engagements at tier 10 are almost always extremely favorable to whoever is moving away, and can therefore use better turret angles and benefit from increased she'll flight time.

Thanks folks, I had no idea. I stopped playing a couple of patches ago out of frustration. I'm about to do the same thing again, but at least I'll play my last few games with 10km torpedoes!

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,886 posts
1,338 battles
1 hour ago, XpliCT_ said:

Love your breakdown.  You found something about every ship to like.  

Members
220 posts
7,619 battles

I don't know about best, but I play the HIV and let me tell you it's about as fun as it gets. You get to drive fast, shoot alot and start fires, I'm not sure what's better than that brohan. The HIV is not the best boat, but it's super fun and I can guarantee that one brohans.

• Cool 1