You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bailen

IFHE still required for this line?

9 comments in this topic

[SEC_8]
Members
145 posts
3,533 battles

I have been keeping up with the community contributors and trying to keep up with the dev blog and  am still a little bit confused...  Is IFHE still a requirement for Royal Navy dd line?  Is Daring getting the quarter pin buff?  I would much rather not have to spend 4 pts on IFHE unless it is absolutely necessary...    Thanks!

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,726 battles

I don't have it in my RN DDs (all four, Acasta to Lightning). Flamu recommends against it and uses RPF instead.

In any tier higher than 7, even with IFHE, your 120mm won't pen much. For the few cruisers you can pen, it is not worth it at 4 points cost. Not enough rewards for it.

Edited by alexf24

[SEC_8]
Members
145 posts
3,533 battles
2 hours ago, alexf24 said:

I don't have it in my RN DDs (all four, Acasta to Lightning). Flamu recommends against it and uses RPF instead.

In any tier higher than 7, even with IFHE, your 120mm won't pen much. For the few cruisers you can pen, it is not worth it at 4 points cost. Not enough rewards for it.

I found where Flamu recommends against it- in his Lightning video at 7 minutes.  TYVM- will avoid IFHE for the RN dd line :)

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Beta Testers
2,460 posts
5,630 battles

Only DDs thusfar that really should take IFHE are the IJN DDs equipped with 100mm guns and, I beleive, the USSR DDs with 130mms.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
848 posts
5,984 battles

You don't need IFHE for the tier 8 Lightning or Tier 8 Cossack.

With the buffs to tier 9 and tier X AP, you may not need IFHE for the HE any longer since AP may be the dominant ammo you use. I'd imagine that they would both still benefit from it though, especially if you see yourself using HE often. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

IFHE is not needed for all their DDs up to and including tier 8. Jutland and Daring, on the other hand, are a different beast entirely. They play more like Mini-taurs: Massive AP bombardment, but with HE that can't damage anything at all other than for setting fires. The AP has a very low fuse and enhanced auto bounce angles ... basically, the same thing as the light cruisers, but in smaller calibre.

So IFHE is not really needed ... BUT ... a smart DD player going up against one of those two DDs can simply bow tank them. IFHE on the other hand allows you to damage the 19mm plating on DDs and battleships superstructures, but then that's 4 points you can't use on Radio Location. Given those tough decisions, I can sorta understand why they gave those two ships a heal.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,536 posts
25,018 battles
On 10/5/2018 at 12:32 PM, Torpin said:

I found where Flamu recommends against it- in his Lightning video at 7 minutes.  TYVM- will avoid IFHE for the RN dd line :)

Flamu also talks about IFHE being fairly useless in his Cossack video.

I initially spec’d IFHE on the Cossack but was disappointed. You don’t need it for DDs in that MM range except for the side plating on the Gearing (never noticed that Yueyang is missing that 21 mm plate). Tier 8+ BBs don’t care. Yes, you get penetrations on cruisers but extended gun fights with cruisers usually ends badly. FIRES on cruisers are always useful. Demo Expert brings Cossack’s fire chance up 25% to 10% per shell. Spicy as Flamu would say. 

At Tier 5 and 6, I’ve found IFHE beneficial. There you DO get pens on many BBs. However, most players won’t have a 14 point captain at those Tiers. 

The really interesting question is what to do with the 114 mm guns on the Daring. 

[SEC_8]
Members
145 posts
3,533 battles

Hey guys, Notser's latest video says to do damage to tier 9 and 10 dd hulls, IFHE will be required...  So IFHE is back in the builds for Darings :)

Unless they change it right before release...

Edited by Torpin