Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Rendering issues - still not solved?/open water stealth firing ensues.

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,940
[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles

So I was in my KGV last night, doing brutal things to cruisers on a flank and getting set on fire for my troubles. New Orleans and Dallas trying to double-team me, but I elected to deal first with the NO (which was showing juicy broadsides close up) with armour piercing before turning to deal with the Dallas, which was on VERY low health and probably wouldn't need more than one hit. He ceased fire and went off detection at the map border, which was fair enough, so I decided to give chase and see if I could pick him up again. Lo and behold, he spent what felt like a good couple of minutes raining HE on me and setting me on fire again while somehow contriving to remain completely invisible in the process. 

In open water.

Man, it was frustrating as hell. I can understand exactly why they removed OWSF from the game as an available mechanic, because what I was seeing here was exactly what it was like. Glimpses were brief, and not enough for reliable gunnery. And no, it didn't look like he was in a smokescreen either, because he was keeping distance from me as I advanced. Eventually someone else blapped him for what he had left of his health and we ended up winning the game, but it had me swearing like a sailor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
318
[KRAK]
Members
1,131 posts
13,566 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So I was in my KGV last night, doing brutal things to cruisers on a flank and getting set on fire for my troubles. New Orleans and Dallas trying to double-team me, but I elected to deal first with the NO (which was showing juicy broadsides close up) with armour piercing before turning to deal with the Dallas, which was on VERY low health and probably wouldn't need more than one hit. He ceased fire and went off detection at the map border, which was fair enough, so I decided to give chase and see if I could pick him up again. Lo and behold, he spent what felt like a good couple of minutes raining HE on me and setting me on fire again while somehow contriving to remain completely invisible in the process. 

In open water.

Man, it was frustrating as hell. I can understand exactly why they removed OWSF from the game as an available mechanic, because what I was seeing here was exactly what it was like. Glimpses were brief, and not enough for reliable gunnery. And no, it didn't look like he was in a smokescreen either, because he was keeping distance from me as I advanced. Eventually someone else blapped him for what he had left of his health and we ended up winning the game, but it had me swearing like a sailor.

Most likely they were firing out of range into your approaching ship is why you did not see them for a bit.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,083
[OPG]
Supertester
1,894 posts
10,218 battles
9 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Most likely they were firing out of range into your approaching ship is why you did not see them for a bit.

:Smile_great:  This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,940
[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
14 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Most likely they were firing out of range into your approaching ship is why you did not see them for a bit.

 

4 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

:Smile_great:  This

Aaah, so that's what it was. Thank you both.

Now that you remind me, I remember this trick. It's sort of the ultimate variant of kiting.

I'm assuming the cure is to slam on the brakes and turn away/aside. I'll keep that one in mind for next time this happens.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,328
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,575 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

 

Aaah, so that's what it was. Thank you both.

Now that you remind me, I remember this trick. It's sort of the ultimate variant of kiting.

I'm assuming the cure is to slam on the brakes and turn away/aside. I'll keep that one in mind for next time this happens.

Yup. Requires managing the throttle to stay just out of range. Any serious maneuvering to the side or away will screw it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Firing outside of your range anticipating the target will drive into your range is a thing for sure. It works really well against a ship who is bound and determined to catch up to you. You know, they have tunnel vision engaged and seriously want to hurt your ship, right? 

You have to be careful when doing it though, as it's only good when there are no other reds within your actual range who would spot you.

I do so miss the days of OWSF though... the Gearing was awesome in those days. Imagine the rage fest if they brought it back. :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,940
[ARGSY]
Members
6,226 posts
4,207 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Imagine the rage fest if they brought it back

...and gave it to the Harugumo and the Daring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58
[SSBN]
Members
446 posts
8,664 battles

The aiming circle on the minimap that they introduce earlier this year helps with this (and smoke firing for that matter).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
16,047 posts
14,433 battles
4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I do so miss the days of OWSF though... the Gearing was awesome in those days. Imagine the rage fest if they brought it back. :cap_haloween:

Vastly different game when Stealth Fire was around.  Gun Bloom Detection didn't exist at the time, either.  AFT was a common part of DD builds, even IJN DDs, because they could use their guns at range with Stealth Fire and do damage and not be 90% reliant hoping torps hit.  RU DDs were always spamming, but even USN & IJN DDs would try to use their guns far more regularly than they do today.

 

The first harshest example I saw of DD Stealth Fire was a Montana with no screen being harassed by 2 Gearings.  Torps flying, DD Stealth Fire Spam in full effect.  Nothing Monty could do.

 

Some ships heavily featured this, especially IJN Cruisers and Blyskawica.  Blyskawica?  Her selling point was a massive Stealth Fire window right out of the box.  Tier IX-X IJN Cruisers had a significant Stealth Fire window.  I'd dare say that Zao in this era was the Queen of Tier X Cruisers because of it.  There was no hiding Moskva.  DM was always a tricky bote.  Zao would burn you at range and stay hidden.  She didn't need someone to spot for her.  Can you imagine Stealth Firing Zao today with the 12km torpedoes? :Smile_teethhappy:  Hindenburg couldn't really do this and she did not have the German Cruiser HE Pen Buff of later years, so she was IMO pretty mediocre.

 

I still remember playing Old Pre-Buff Stock Colorado in a Tier X match.  My group had been annihilated and I was trying to "run" back to friendly ships.  However, I had an Ibuki and Zao chasing me, spotting me, stealth firing me.  I couldn't see them.  I couldn't outrun them.  I definitely could not turn around and chase them down.  I had zero cover.  There was nothing I could do.  I got countered hard :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,328
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,824 posts
9,575 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...and gave it to the Harugumo and the Daring.

God forbid there be a DD in the game that isn't a pushover, right? :Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×